MoRA

RiverwoodCLT

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

This is a major redevelopment opportunity likely for a mixed use residential retail project at this prominent corner of Wendover and Monroe Roads at the site of now closed Gus's Sir Beef restaurant. 

""The site of longtime restaurant Gus’ Sir Beef is now for sale. The Nichols Co. is marketing that property, at Monroe and Wendover roads in Charlotte, as well as several surrounding sites, for a total of 1.8 acres.

That intersection is prime for development, with high vehicle traffic and plans for the light rail’s Silver Line to pass nearby, says founder John Nichols.

He’s working on the sale with Frank Jernigan, Michael Sullivan and George Karres at his firm.

“It’s going to transform that whole area,” Nichols says. “Monroe Road for a long time didn’t have an identity. Now it’s forming.”

Pricing for the property is undetermined.

Gus’ Sir Beef had been a fixture at 4101 Monroe Road since 1968, when the late Gus Bacogeorge opened his namesake restaurant. He and his wife, affectionately known as Mrs. Clara, turned the farm-to-table restaurant into a community staple by dishing up simple, home-cooked meals.

It permanently closed in April.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/16/gus-sir-beef-restaurant-land-sale-real-estate.html?

• Like 3

On 4/20/2023 at 8:39 AM, TCLT said:

More possible MoRA Point retail news: the signs now have a Buffalo Wild Wings Go logo on them. Not sure where that could go though. The only vacant spot I'm aware of is the unit where Five Guys is currently upfitting (Unit A of 4014 Connection Point Blvd). There are permits filed from October attached to Unit A for BWW, but most are listed as cancelled or expired. 

MoRA Point BWW Go.jpg

I'm not in love with this. I feel like a normal B-Dubs would have done well here since we don't have a good bar from Steamers to Boardwalk(?) and there's a Wing Stop right across the street.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TCLT said:

Axios is reporting that CLT FC will be moving into their new HQ in the next couple weeks.

They also have some new renderings of the facility, both inside and outside. I attached the external shots. The rest are in the linked article.

Fresh renderings: Charlotte FC will move into its new headquarters and practice facility soon - Axios Charlotte

Atrium-Health-Performance-Park-street-view_-1.jpg

CLTFC-HQ-main-entrance.png

Hmm, Reminds me of a regional branch office of an outsourced payroll provider I once visited early in my career in public accounting.  Go FC!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another interesting one. Thrift is marketing a three-story office building for Meridian Place. The Thrift page shows it was last updated 8/7/2023, and the Meridian Place site does mention a three-story building is being pre-marketed. The Meridian Place office flyer linked by Thrift shows 3 potential parcels for office: Lot 01 (Parcel 19101112), Lot 04 (Parcel 19101121), and Lot 07 (Parcel 19101118). None of them show any land development projects against them, and Lot 07 is the one that's been assumed to be getting a grocery store at some point. Lot 01 does have a relatively recent permit (from June 2023) for adding electrical service. Anyone know if there's actually any chance there's plans to start construction anytime soon? I'm unfortunately assuming this is just testing the waters to see if there's any demand out there, but it would be nice to see more of those parcels get developed sooner rather than later.

MP.png

Edited by TCLT
add site plan from flyer
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, TCLT said:

Here's another interesting one. Thrift is marketing a three-story office building for Meridian Place. The Thrift page shows it was last updated 8/7/2023, and the Meridian Place site does mention a three-story building is being pre-marketed. The Meridian Place office flyer linked by Thrift shows 3 potential parcels for office: Lot 01 (Parcel 19101112), Lot 04 (Parcel 19101121), and Lot 07 (Parcel 19101118). None of them show any land development projects against them, and Lot 07 is the one that's been assumed to be getting a grocery store at some point. Lot 01 does have a relatively recent permit (from June 2023) for adding electrical service. Anyone know if there's actually any chance there's plans to start construction anytime soon? I'm unfortunately assuming this is just testing the waters to see if there's any demand out there, but it would be nice to see more of those parcels get developed sooner rather than later.

MP.png

Last I heard, they are just trying to find tenants for the open development sites. There just is not much demand for space in the area right now. I know that the grocery stores (except for Lidl) are hesitant because the demographics don't quite align with what they require. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, lit said:

where is the "BWW Go" supposed to... go

I've been wondering the same thing. I think the endcap space that Five Guys is in now got subdivided and BWW Go will be in between Five Guys and the nail place. It looks like there's a space inside separate from the new Five Guys that hasn't been upfitted yet. Every other space is leased so I'm not sure where else it could possibly be. FWIW, the BWW Go logo is placed differently on every pylon sign around the property: on one it is next to Five Guys, on another it is next to Halal Street Food, and on the third it is on a line by itself.

image.thumb.png.3c352f534483bf87e55f5bbbe03bcec6.png

Various past leasing info for reference:

Property Page

October 2020 Leasing Flyer

July 2021 Leasing Flyer

March 2022 Leasing Flyer

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

MoRA Point is so car centric and IMO a complete missed opportunity to build a sense of place. Gas stations, car washes, drive thrus, et... For a relatively close area to the city core, it is a disappointment IMO that this development ended up like something you'd find in Indian Trail or Shelby to serve travelers along a highway versus the neighborhood. This is why the Silver Line will be challenging for building walkability when developments like this will hug the stations. 

Eh, it is adjacent to Independence and sandwiched between Idlewild and Monroe, two notoriously unfriendly streets to pedestrians. I don't think it would've been useful to try to drive walkability there because it just isn't going to happen given the location. And they at least have some useful retail options for the area. Grocery, gas/convenience store, multiple food options. I'm far more disappointed in Meridian Place. It has a bit more separation from Independence, is actually adjacent to residential neighborhoods, has an apartment complex, and will actually be adjacent to a Silver Line station. That could've been a real neighborhood node that encouraged walking and biking. They've done so poorly at filling their retail space and developing the full parcel. And anyway, running the silver line and any rail trail along Independence is far more of an impediment to walkability than a car wash and drive thru chipotle.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TCLT said:

I've been wondering the same thing. I think the endcap space that Five Guys is in now got subdivided and BWW Go will be in between Five Guys and the nail place. It looks like there's a space inside separate from the new Five Guys that hasn't been upfitted yet. Every other space is leased so I'm not sure where else it could possibly be. FWIW, the BWW Go logo is placed differently on every pylon sign around the property: on one it is next to Five Guys, on another it is next to Halal Street Food, and on the third it is on a line by itself.

image.thumb.png.3c352f534483bf87e55f5bbbe03bcec6.png

Various past leasing info for reference:

Property Page

October 2020 Leasing Flyer

July 2021 Leasing Flyer

March 2022 Leasing Flyer

I’m still disappointed by this. There aren’t any fast-casual restaurants or bars around for miles. I feel like a normal B-Dubs would have done well enough here. Maybe they’re changing their business model, and that’s cool. Just someone please open a bar nearby

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Grading work started on what's gonna be additional soccer fields at the McAlpines business park where CLT FT HQ is. They're going to be on one of the open parcels adjacent to the railroad tracks next to Monroe Rd. I guess these are the additional fields for CLT FC, but I expected them to be tucked back into the development like the existing fields and the HQ are.

soccer fields.png

• Like 4

• 2 months later...