Scott's Addition Development

varunner

57 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Great update on some Scott's Addition developments. I think this will be in tomorrow's Metro Business section of the RTD for anyone looking to pick up a paper copy.

https://richmond.com/business/apartment-construction-boom-taking-place-in-scotts-addition-with-hundreds-of-new-apartments-planned/article_50608f43-30c0-5b6d-88d7-6903a258f2b6.html

This is a great article and so great to see. I spent a ton of time as a kid in Scott's Addition (on summer breaks, I hung out quite a bit at the printing company my father managed in the 3400 block of W. Leigh Street) -- and to see the area -- almost overnight -- transform from this run down old industrial and warehouse district to a real up-and-coming, trendy urban neighborhood that has some real density coming in -- and to see the momentum continue to roll... WOW... it is SO exciting to see! Nice to get the bigger picture as well - that the real estate industry recognizes the strength of Scott's Addition as well as Manchester and neighborhoods in the East End. To see Scott's Addition AND Manchester reallllly blowing up at the same time and becoming "book-end" high-density urban neighborhoods for the city is really thrilling! Manchester has the leg up right now on verticality - but I think they are neck and neck in terms of total projects currently under way and/or planned.

I swear I never thought I'd live to see this. Man, it's exciting to watch!!!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, rjp212 said:

The Outlier (Co-housing project) has been approved.   No date on when construction will begin yet.

Tucked away in the article is an update on the Nest, which should open in August.  They have a letter of intent on one of the commercial spaces, and they will use to other space as a leasing office, for now.   I have to give him praise for this quote.

“I worry that the parking decks that I’m building will become an albatross around my neck in 15 years,” Papa said. “With Uber, Lyft, and scooters — whatever it is, there’s a lot of pressure being taken off the need to own a car. All these neighborhoods are walkable; everything is going in that direction.”

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/07/29/arthur-ashe-blvd-cohousing-project-gets-council-nod-the-nest-nears-completion-nearby/

Good news, indeed!

11 hours ago, eandslee said:

Yeah, not very dense for its location.  Just 4 stories...why?  This is a prime location in SA and it’s on Broad St and all they could muster is a 4-story, 211-unit apartment building?  Yeah, that’s kind of weak. 

My guess is that since it's 3 blocks west of I-195 - and the surrounding development isn't typically "dense" urban-style development, especially on the north side of Broad, maybe they just weren't feeling the density urgency. Plus - it's a bigger swath of land & it may be more cost effective for them to grab a larger footprint with less height. But not directly fronting Broad Street and giving that stretch a real solid urban look and feel is pretty insulting.

Still - I'd rather have 200-plus apartments there than nothing I suppose.

Coming up quickly.  A couple of more floors would have been nice.  Couple of questions:

What will be on the opposite side from Broad Street; pic 7 of 12?  

Has construction commenced on the Courtyard by Marriott?   If not, when will it start?

Edited by Shakman

5 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Construction fencing is up and building has been demo'd at the corner of Clay/Sheppard.  According to the Development Map, that is going to be location of Scotts Collection 2.

I haven't been by myself but are you sure you were not seeing the corner of Clay\Altamont? The only piece of this project with construction financing as of a recent article was Scott's  1, not 2. Unless something has changed, Scott's 2 was not supposed to break ground until next year and I recall per that article Scott's  1 was  to have a ground breaking ceremony late July which adds up to seeing the fencing about now. Checking the permit site... the only building permits I see issued are for Scott's 1. Scott's 2 does have a demolition permit and disturbance permits submitted but both are Under Review (site is not always up to date though - so it could be!)

Edited by whw53

13 hours ago, whw53 said:

I haven't been by myself but are you sure you were not seeing the corner of Clay\Altamont? The only piece of this project with construction financing as of a recent article was Scott's  1, not 2. Unless something has changed, Scott's 2 was not supposed to break ground until next year and I recall per that article Scott's  1 was  to have a ground breaking ceremony late July which adds up to seeing the fencing about now. Checking the permit site... the only building permits I see issued are for Scott's 1. Scott's 2 does have a demolition permit and disturbance permits submitted but both are Under Review (site is not always up to date though - so it could be!)

You are correct. I drove past earlier in the day and was trying to go off google maps. 

On 8/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, Shakman said:

Coming up quickly.  A couple of more floors would have been nice.  Couple of questions:

What will be on the opposite side from Broad Street; pic 7 of 12?  

Has construction commenced on the Courtyard by Marriott?   If not, when will it start?

@Shakman - you got your answer on the hotel. Should break ground within the next few weeks. Update on the 2 West Broad projects west of expressway from RTD came out today.

https://richmond.com/business/hundreds-of-apartments-take-root-on-west-broad-street-near-umfs-campus/article_f817804b-2f7d-5c24-b06c-92ac18680e10.html

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...