Greenville to Chattanooga

MAJIKMAN

I read on another thread of the two new interstates they want to build in Georgia. And I thought why couldn't the powers that be construct an interstate from Greenville SC to Chattanooga TN. I have made that journey on my way to Nashville and IMO that could cut a lot of time off that trip. Now don't get me wrong I like Atlanta. But not that traffic. :blink:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read on another thread of the two new interstates they want to build in Georgia. And I thought why couldn't the powers that be construct an interstate from Greenville SC to Chattanooga TN. I have made that journey on my way to Nashville and IMO that could cut a lot of time off that trip. Now don't get me wrong I like Atlanta. But not that traffic. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The route between Greenville and Chattanooga would be in the right location and it would be a beautiful drive, I agree; however, it would be costly to cut through all those mountains.

The most direct link from Greenville to Chattanooga is US 123 to Westminister and US 76 into Georgia all the way to Interstate 75. US 76 runs through the Sumter National Forest, so that may raise up some environmental and widelife concerns. I would not see it as a problem if they did something like Interstate 26 from Asheville to Kingsport, TN. The most logical idea is to make US 123 a limited access highway from Westminister to Toccoa and Gainsville. From Toccoa or Gainsville, connect with a westbound four lane highway to Interstate 75, and that would solve some relief. A federal study would really be helpful.

While a new Interstate highway through the mountains would make trips much shorter, my heart weeps at the thought of cutting the mountains open and making them more commercial. On the other hand, Greenville definitely needs a better access (freeway) at least up to Hendersonville for both travelers and truckers. US hwy 25 is terribly overcrowded and has far too many stops for such a distance without any bypass.

There isn't really a need for an interstate connecting these two cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It ain't going to happen boys. Granted Chattanooga is very difficult to reach from points east but a new interstate from Greenville is a pipe dream. US-76 through North Georgia will be the only way unless you dogleg down to Atlanta.

Greenville is in a tough spot for reaching Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis. Its not easy from Spartanburg either but the I-26 connection helps. As much as I dislike driving up to Asheville to hit I-40, its the only fast way to reach those cities.

why would you say that spartan? wouldn't taking a hour and half to two hours off that trip be worth it. dont you think it would be more economical, not just for the casual traveler, but commerce in general to have a shorter route than that. and like the folks who thought about I-26

between asheville and kingsport. they thought about the same thing. i'm talking about the I-40 to I-81 deal.

why would you say that spartan? wouldn't taking a hour and half to two hours off that trip be worth it. dont you think it would be more economical, not just for the casual traveler, but commerce in general to have a shorter route than that. and like the folks who thought about I-26

between asheville and kingsport. they thought about the same thing. i'm talking about the I-40 to I-81 deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because neither city is large enough to warrant a direct connection. The economic gain would be minimal.

Because neither city is large enough to warrant a direct connection. The economic gain would be minimal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Upstate is the "economic engine" of South Carolina....it should have as many connections as possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep in mind that there's more beyond Chattanooga, too. I-75 continues on North to Knoxville, Lexington, Cincinnatti, Dayton, Toledo, and Detroit.

I-24 continues on to Nashville and (toward, but not directly to) St. Louis.

From Nashville, I-65 connects on North to Indianapolis and Chicagoland.

So, I can see this opening a route to more commerce than just that between Greenville and Chattanooga, especially when you consider the automotive ties that Detroit, Indy, and Chicagoland have (and Nashville/Franklin if you count Saturn).

However, I'd hate to see it cut through the mountains, still.

The I-40/I-26 connection would be just as direct to Nashville and beyond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just as direct to Knoxville and beyond...maybe (if you consider going up HWY 25 to catch I-26 at Hendersonville).

But to Nashville and beyond, this could definitely shave some miles/hours off of the alternatives. :)

I'm still not for it though :) - just pointing out the benefits.

Even though I do not see a direct link from Greenville to Chattanooga being built anytime soon, I'm sure there are many other routes to consider for improvement:

US 64: This is one of North Carolina's most important highways, and there are some parts that need some work. One plan is to make it a four lane highway from Interstate 26 in Hendersonville all the way to Franklin. Even though it is a beatiful drive through Highlands and Cashiers, the road has become extremely dangerous because of higher traffic volumes. US 64 is two lanes from Franklin to a few miles west of Brevard and from NC 280 into Hendersonville. Improving this road can alleviate traffic on Interstate 40, which can create havoc when you have a rock slide.

US 123: The most important highway westward of Greenville, US 123 takes us into northeast Georgia to Toccoa and onward to Gainsville. US 123 westward of Westminister narrows to two lanes into Georgia and probably into Toccoa. Currently, I am unaware if there is a four lane highway from Toccoa to Gainsville. This can hook up with GA 17, which is currently being widened to four lanes down to Elberton.

Archived