Welcome to UrbanPlanet - Metro Grand Rapids!

PBJ

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - been here more than a month - guess I'll fill this out.

*26 y/o

*Married

*Living in Wyoming w/ wife & 2 cats

*BS from GVSU in '01 in Information Systems

*Currently working for local ISP as a network admin/engineer in GR.

*Interests: Hockey, history, beer, and baseball.

*Grew up in the NW burbs.

*Would like to at some point live/work downtown. (Maybe I could rent a cot @ Founders... :) )

Umm - yeah. Found this site from The Geha back in late February after the GRBJ broke the "Project X" story. Have love reading all the insights and opinions on here since. Keep up the good work everyone.

OK - been here more than a month - guess I'll fill this out.

*26 y/o

*Married

*Living in Wyoming w/ wife & 2 cats

*BS from GVSU in '01 in Information Systems

*Currently working for local ISP as a network admin/engineer in GR.

*Interests: Hockey, history, beer, and baseball.

*Grew up in the NW burbs.

*Would like to at some point live/work downtown. (Maybe I could rent a cot @ Founders... :) )

Umm - yeah. Found this site from The Geha back in late February after the GRBJ broke the "Project X" story. Have love reading all the insights and opinions on here since. Keep up the good work everyone.

Also used to drive a crappy red Fierro, then a red Beretta.. and then if I'm not mistaken a Red Jeep.. what's up with you and red vehicles anyways :rofl:

Also used to drive a crappy red Fierro, then a red Beretta.. and then if I'm not mistaken a Red Jeep.. what's up with you and red vehicles anyways :rofl:

LOL

1 - The Fiero wasn't ALL that crappy

2 - Yes, then a red beretta and a red jeep (Red Jeep is for sale if anyone is interested! ;) )

3 - I now have a gold Camry.

4 - Has it really been 5 years since I graduated from GVSU?! Holy balls.

25 year old

Living in Standale currently

Grew up in NW Grand Rapids and attended GVSU, 02 graduate BA in communications

I currently work in Grand Rapids in inventory control

Interests: Sports, Walking/Jogging, Travel

I heard of this site from one of the mystery development articles in the GR Press and decided to see what the fuss was about. I had been reading and lurking here before deciding to jump in :thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

Ok. I''m not new, exactly, but here is my scoop:

* Forest Hills Northern Grad, 1991

* Univ. of Houston, BS Computer Science

* currently GVSU Masters student, Information Systems

* lived on Heritage Hill from 95-97

* restored a bungalow in Alger Heights from 98 to 03 (vintage light fixtures, bathroom fixtures, everything except the kitchen).

* immediately after finishing the restoration bought a house near Garfield Park/Garfield Nature Center

I'm interested in (among other things)

* a strong urban park system

* historic preservation

* historic neighborhoods

* Grand Rapids history

* strong urban neighborhoods

* vital urban businesses

* conservation, environmentalism, energy efficiency, recycling, native plants, etc.

I find Grand Rapids an incredibly exciting place to live. I think we're on the cusp of an urban renaissance (especially as gas prices go up, global warming heats up, and conservation is required). I think we have incredible wealth in our historic buildings, vintage and unique housing stock, and our river. I think citizen involvement in local government is a responsibility (and a privilege). I'm glad there are so many other urbanists out there.

I love to bicycle through/around the city (from my house to Rockford to Byron Center) and I find that the drivers in the city are generally more courteous than suburban or rural drivers.

Not new either, but The Truth Is Out There:

PRCH stands for Probably Really a Child at Heart.

Or is it People's Republic of Cherry Hill ?

Or PoRCH Sitter Extraordinaire??

xopher, you forgot to mention how much you enjoy a good soup, and your notable success in resisting the marauding Army.

Happy Birthday (what day is it?) TripleG !

Not new either, but The Truth Is Out There:

PRCH stands for Probably Really a Child at Heart.

Or is it People's Republic of Cherry Hill ?

Or PoRCH Sitter Extraordinaire??

xopher, you forgot to mention how much you enjoy a good soup, and your notable success in resisting the marauding Army.

Happy Birthday (what day is it?) TripleG !

-23 years old

-Grew up in Muskegon

-Received my BS in Urban Planning from Michigan State University in 2006

-I got a planning job in Grand Rapids in August 2006 and moved into a studio apartment near the Belknap Neighborhood the same week I started, because commuting is not for me :)

- 45 year old Dutch descendent (and I love that I never have to spell my last name, when making reservations here)

- Living happily these past 19 years with my significant other (or my Main Man). Didn't run away to the larger cities, like so many of my gay brother & sisters. Have always found our local citizens to be open and accepting (which seems to surprise the out-of-towners).

- Grew up in Cascade and now reside in a funky little neighborhood, at the far end of Reeds Lake -Woodcliff Park. My partner & I are restoring a 1920's cottage and refuse to tear it down, like so many others in our hood have. During the day, I manage a small vending company, but at night on my computer, I become "Mr. Grand Rapids" or so my out-of-town relatives call me ( I have the rather annoying habit of filling everyone in, on the latest development news here).

- Have loved to watch downtown evolve over the years. I used to take friends on tours of the city, when I was in high-school and seem to have been doing so ever since. I'm a champion of the inner-city neighborhoods and do my best to support the new retail that's springing up. Now, if we'd just get a Whole Foods Market or a Trader Joe's (and a decent looking building on the corner of Fulton & Division), I could live here happily ever after...

- 45 year old Dutch descendent (and I love that I never have to spell my last name, when making reservations here)

- Living happily these past 19 years with my significant other (or my Main Man). Didn't run away to the larger cities, like so many of my gay brother & sisters. Have always found our local citizens to be open and accepting (which seems to surprise the out-of-towners).

- Grew up in Cascade and now reside in a funky little neighborhood, at the far end of Reeds Lake -Woodcliff Park. My partner & I are restoring a 1920's cottage and refuse to tear it down, like so many others in our hood have. During the day, I manage a small vending company, but at night on my computer, I become "Mr. Grand Rapids" or so my out-of-town relatives call me ( I have the rather annoying habit of filling everyone in, on the latest development news here).

- Have loved to watch downtown evolve over the years. I used to take friends on tours of the city, when I was in high-school and seem to have been doing so ever since. I'm a champion of the inner-city neighborhoods and do my best to support the new retail that's springing up. Now, if we'd just get a Whole Foods Market or a Trader Joe's (and a decent looking building on the corner of Fulton & Division), I could live here happily ever after...

Landscape Architect, MSU BLA Program, 1993

Worked in Downtown Nashville, TN for 10 yrs

Originally from Flint, MI

37, Married, Father of 2

Currently work for Multidisciplinary A/E firm in Downtown GR

Experience includes Streetscape design, Parks and Greenways, Traditional neighborhood masterplanning, Mixed Use Developments, Campus design, Marinas and waterfront design, Corporate facility site planning, Bikeway and pedestrian circulation environments...etc.

male, 24 years old West Michigan native.

GVSU Finance grad

I work as a financial consultant doing everything from individual financial planning to securities to securitized real estate. I enjoy working with older, retirees.

I own/fixed up a house near John Ball Park, love the area! Looking to expand on my real estate portfolio.

I really enjoy cruising UP, thanks to everyone for contributing!

Oh, I am so excited that I found this forum! I have been lurking a bit in the last week and thought I would intro myself.

Me - Michelle, 31, married

GVSU grad, History major/English minor - never got teaching cert I thought I would. I just got tossed into too much work and too little time and let it go. Now I'm happy I never finished because I don't think I would enjoy it. I did a great deal of editing work and if I were looking for a career that is what I would have done.

I have a son, 21 months and am currently a full-time mom, part-time many other things! The reason I found this site is that I was hired as a Moderator for a GR website focused on housing by a Realtor interested in the downtown GR market. I'll add it to my sig when it's up, but I registered here for my own reasons. I can't beleive I never found this site before. All the other GR forum sites I found have mostly been 5-10 friends posting together :blush: and that's it.

I love history and I worked downtown for about 7 years and enjoyed it. I love going into the city and seeing what is going on. I gre up in Muskegon and I remember driving through Grand Rapids as a child and being mesmerized :rolleyes: by the highways and high buildings. Now I find it's the perfect size for me and my family.

We live in the city on the NE side. I love to cook and love to try local restaurants. I've been lurking on the restaurant threads here quite a bit :)

I had also been looking at the downtown development threads. I worked in McKay Tower for quite awhile and it was aways interesting to watch the area around our building (and in our building) change. Anyway, I'm blabbering and not nearly as qualified as all of the interesting people here so that's all for me!

I have only been here six months but I like it already. I moved here to work for a hospital in the area attend Cooley so that is a great combo.

27yo as of Jan

1998 - Ann Arbor Huron High Grad

2002 - Albion College - History, Poli Sci, Comp Sci classes as well

2006 - Present Cooley

The new developments going on in Grand Rapids are amazing compared to other cities. The one thing I have a problem with is the homeless people that are dirty, threatening, and peeing in plain site everywhere down by Wealthy and the school. Countless times I have seen them peeing in plain sight, run up to me in an aggressive manner demanding money etc... I had to yell and threaten one before he left me alone because I was afraid he was actually going to try and rob me.

They should be put in mental hospitals if they are not capable of being recovered or whatever else is needed. These are not people on

Archived