Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

7 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

In all fairness, they were beotching about the River’s Edge  project too.  They’ve had a provincial mindset for a while now. 

And yes!!!!  It is the big bad New York City part of all this that will have the nimbys frothing at the mouth.  

Interesting that they were kvetching about River's Edge - yet there was no publicity about it that I can recall. That makes me think that the NYC component is the hook upon which they're hanging their collective NIMBY hats. It's just ridiculous. It irks the daylights out of me that while these idiots have NO legal ground upon which to stand, that the city has a track record of listening to these squeaky wheels when it comes to highrise projects and the supposedly divinely-ordained "views" of legacy businesses/residents:  "Echo Harbor".

We HAVE to get involved and push back against Legends, Manchester Alliance, etc. I am honestly worried about the outcome of this, if for no other reason than this is Richmond Effing Virginia and not a legitimately progressive city like Charlotte, Atlanta, Austin, etc.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

The perspective drawing that’s on the website, used as visual imagery to reflect the view, is a mockery that falsely and inaccurately reflects any real attempt at trying to illustrate the view. In my opinion, this false representation borders on being illegal and it’s sad to see them stoop to this level, it may work for their loyal fan club, but I’d bet there are just as many, if not more that may turn on them and say, you went too far and I’m done.

• Like 3

@Brent114-- that may well be the case. Thing is, RVA has a PROVEN track record of this sort of BS actually working. Again, I need say only TWO words - "Echo Harbor" - to drive home that painful point. It's bad enough that we are hamstrung by our still too small (or not big enough) market size only to have the idiotic NIMBY/BANANA types coming out to try to blow up perfectly good projects that promise tremendous economic opportunity and growth for the city.

@Hike-- 100% agree with you. This shenanigans of using these false representations of what the project will look like -- WHEN THERE ARE NO OFFICIAL RENDERINGS YET OF THESE TWO TOWERS -- absolutely NEEDS TO BE CALLED OUT ON ITS FACE FOR WHAT IT IS: COMPLETE, TOTAL, UTTER BULL$H!+ - PERIOD!!! AND TBPH, I FRANKLY DON'T GIVE A YOU KNOW WHAT WHO IT OFFENDS OR HOW BADLY!!!  F- THEM.  THIS IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS.

GENTLEMEN -- WE MUST ORGANIZE, PUSH BACK, AND FIGHT!

Might I suggest we begin by reaching out to the fine folks at Avery Hall AND VOICE OUR SUPPORT OF THEIR PROJECT!!! They don't need to know whether or not we live in the neighborhood or even in the city - just that we are Richmonders, and that we are 100% behind them building this complex in Manchester AS LARGE AS THEY WANT!!

Here is their contact information. I have already emailed them voicing my SUPPORT of the project.

51 East 12th Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Phone 646.828.3588

Email [email protected]

I'm going to contact the city planning department tomorrow. Who is the council representative for this district?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

hey the Californians leaving California are the rational ones. 

Oh really now?  And here I thought the only ratlonal people in this country are the ones who are moving TO Richmond! :tw_wink: (I mean, why the EFF would you go ANYWHERE else?)

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 9:23 AM, rjp212 said:

Nearly every block around Legend's has been bought, so I imagine their days are numbered. If I were them, I'd sell their land at a premium, and relocate into the base of this building.  Imagine them taking the 2 story portion between the two buildings and putting in a rooftop.   

I asked made to comment to some people that work in Manchester, and was told that the owner is "old school" and doesnt want to sell or move. I hear they have a pretty large group of loyal regulars that live in the older parts of Manchester, so might make sense. I do agree that the view is their best asset, but they had years to buy that property and they didnt.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ronsmytheiii said:

I asked made to comment to some people that work in Manchester, and was told that the owner is "old school" and doesnt want to sell or move.

Oh okay... he doesn't want to move to a better location or work out something with the developers. He just wants to be an "old school" NIMBY a-h0le. Got it.

We need to fight, gentlemen, in support of the project. Screw him. He has no right to stop this development. As @ronsmytheiiipointed out - Legends has had YEARS to buy the riverfront property if they wanted to preserve the views. They apparently were willing to work with the developer of Rivers Edge II (I still want to know the full story behind that) - and the Avery Hall property is zoned for up to 13 stories. Minimally, since Rivers Edge II was approved, one would HOPE that even setting aside an SUP for the 17-story building, since his project would meet zoning requirements at 13 stories, it should be approved.

Who is the council rep for that district?  Lest you think I'm blowing smoke, I've already written to Avery Hall and to the city planning department in support of the project. Next up: the council rep and the mayor's office.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, ronsmytheiii said:

I asked made to comment to some people that work in Manchester, and was told that the owner is "old school" and doesnt want to sell or move. I hear they have a pretty large group of loyal regulars that live in the older parts of Manchester, so might make sense. I do agree that the view is their best asset, but they had years to buy that property and they didnt.

Maybe they should approach Michael Hild about taking over the Dogtown Brewery space....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Brent114 said:

The Chipotle sign went up today.   Not the  “coming soon” sign either.  The expensive electric molded letter sign went up.   Which is awesome because only recently has there been any activity at the site.  I was worried that it would never come to fruition.  
Another national brand is in Manchester.  The corner has been turned folks! 

Fantastic news!! Once the sign is up - and if you happen to have your phone handy on a stroll or drive by... (hint hint!! :tw_wink:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brent114 said:

This can’t be Hull Street can it? 

53F94AF8-DD98-4AA4-A96F-71F86CA52CC1.jpeg

WOWWWW!!! Yeah - I agree - this CAN'T be Hull Street, can it?  This is SO exciting to see. If you'dve told me 10 years ago that THIS is what we would be seeing now, I wouldn't have believed it. What a huge change!

• Like 3