Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

21 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Is there any kind of standardization in a situation where you have two or more developers all building out their own city blocks within immediate proximity of each other? So technically, the quality, style,design, etc., of sidewalk and the style and make of street lighting could theoretically change block-to-block if you had developers building adjacent blocks?

I hope the city sets standards but it doesn’t always seem like it’s the case. It’s low hanging fruit, of which there are many at city hall. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Venture Richmond used to put out a downtown development guide every year. Been a few years since they've done so but i see that have a new one up covering 2019-2022. We know just about everything in there more or less. What is big news to me is that this document is saying South Falls site is set for 2 more towers - the 14 story South Falls II we've been tracking (this is the first rendering of that i've seen ) but also a 12 story South Falls III. Also new renderings of Tidewater, Rocketts Block 8, The Box. 1114 Hull should break ground this year according to this as well - plz and thank you.

https://venturerichmond.com/about-us/reports/2022-downtown-richmond-development-guide/

SouthFalls2.png

SouthFalls3.png

An awesome find!  Thanks for posting.  I used to love to watch the Downtown Development Forum they used to do and post on YouTube.  I always wondered why they stopped doing it.  This document is the next best thing, I guess.  Thanks again!

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Venture Richmond used to put out a downtown development guide every year. Been a few years since they've done so but i see that have a new one up covering 2019-2022. We know just about everything in there more or less. What is big news to me is that this document is saying South Falls site is set for 2 more towers - the 14 story South Falls II we've been tracking (this is the first rendering of that i've seen ) but also a 12 story South Falls III. Also new renderings of Tidewater, Rocketts Block 8, The Box. 1114 Hull should break ground this year according to this as well - plz and thank you.

https://venturerichmond.com/about-us/reports/2022-downtown-richmond-development-guide/

SouthFalls2.png

SouthFalls3.png

Could this be what one of our most senior (not referencing age) in-the-know gurus has been alluding to for quite some time about being quite happy with forthcoming Manchester developments?  Inquiring minds want to know! :tw_wink:

Now if all of this is, in fact, true - in the works and on the verge of coming to pass, then this is epic! What a blindside surprise (of the best kind!!) to learn of a THIRD South Falls tower -- AND -- if you'll notice, it's being described as a CONDOMINIUM tower -- which would definitely break new ground for central Richmond.

I'm blown away that BOTH SF II and SF III are (according to the Venture Richmond publication) are listed as breaking ground this year (2022). 

ALSO listed to break ground this year:

Block D -- and NOTICE that it's STILL being listed as a 20-story mixed-use tower. 

Bakery Lofts -- I'm hoping that one will indeed get underway this year!

RIVER'S EDGE II -- I wonder if this Venture Richmond publication was put together too late to account for the fact that the property is up for sale? They're listing this project as breaking ground this year. I'm thinking this isn't happening unless they know something about the property sale that we don't.

INTERESTING ABSENCES: The Admiral in Jackson Ward -- interesting that it didn't make the roster.  Pinecrest: site work already underway there - so it's quite curious that this tower didn't make the roster. Also - nothing about Scott's Addition (I realize SA isn't downtown -- but with all the development going on there, I'm surprised there wasn't some kind of mention).

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

Something to keep in mind:  If ALL of these projects (South Falls 2, South Falls 3, Bakery Lofts, Block D) -- AS WELL AS -- the Admiral (2nd & E. Marshall) and the Pinecrest (321 W. Grace) get underway in 2022 -- AND -- CoStar's huge downtown riverfront headquarters building -- we will see a LOT - and I do mean a LOT of cranes (boom, baby-boom, crawler or otherwise) rising & towering over the city in the next 18-24 months!

Guys - it's like Christmas came early with CoStar ... and the gifts keep coming (and we're still within the 12 Days of Christmas!!) with TWO new South Falls towers! WHO KNEW there was a South Falls 3 in the works?

Edited by I miss RVA

35 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Something to keep in mind:  If ALL of these projects (South Falls 2, South Falls 3, Bakery Lofts, Block D) -- AS WELL AS -- the Admiral (2nd & E. Marshall) and the Pinecrest (321 W. Grace) get underway in 2022 -- AND -- CoStar's huge downtown riverfront headquarters building -- we will see a LOT - and I do mean a LOT of cranes (boom, baby-boom, crawler or otherwise) rising & towering over the city in the next 18-24 months!

Guys - it's like Christmas came early with CoStar ... and the gifts keep coming (and we're still within the 12 Days of Christmas!!) with TWO new South Falls towers! WHO KNEW there was a South Falls 3 in the works?

Don't forget the silo development in Manchester as well!  That one should be a good one needing a crane since the property is zoned for up to 20 stories.  We shall see the details of this one, hopefully, very soon.

Oh, and the office towers that will house the Monroe Tower workers.  I think one of the buildings will be 13 stories.

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Don't forget the silo development in Manchester as well!  That one should be a good one needing a crane since the property is zoned for up to 20 stories.  We shall see the details of this one, hopefully, very soon.

Oh, and the office towers that will house the Monroe Tower workers.  I think one of the buildings will be 13 stories.

When is the new state office building (7th & Main) slated to be constructed? Was that funded yet by the state or was that a budget item for the new session of the General Assembly? I don't recall if the state said it would actually get started in 2022 or 2023.

The Silos development should be interesting - but so far there's been nothing firm (no "actual" renderings like those for the two new South Falls towers -- only the VERY speculative prelim we saw last year). Hopefully that'll be a 20-story building - but is there any indication we'll actually see ground broken within the year? From the prospective standpoint, we should also include the suggested (can we call it proposed yet?) development for 200 Commerce Road - that one could be upwards of 16 stories and could actually have a pretty big footprint (enough to at least spark DISCUSSION of a (much needed, long-desired) grocery store.

Wow - even just considering the Silos, then THREE South Falls towers - just that stretch of the Manchester riverfront (near the 14th Street Bridge) alone will be VERY robust!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

When is the new state office building (7th & Main) slated to be constructed? Was that funded yet by the state or was that a budget item for the new session of the General Assembly? I don't recall if the state said it would actually get started in 2022 or 2023.

The Silos development should be interesting - but so far there's been nothing firm (no "actual" renderings like those for the two new South Falls towers -- only the VERY speculative prelim we saw last year). Hopefully that'll be a 20-story building - but is there any indication we'll actually see ground broken within the year? From the prospective standpoint, we should also include the suggested (can we call it proposed yet?) development for 200 Commerce Road - that one could be upwards of 16 stories and could actually have a pretty big footprint (enough to at least spark DISCUSSION of a (much needed, long-desired) grocery store.

Wow - even just considering the Silos, then THREE South Falls towers - just that stretch of the Manchester riverfront (near the 14th Street Bridge) alone will be VERY robust!

I have to admit, I've been rather confused by the South Falls Towers dev (hopefully someone is updating the RVA Dev Map? I haven't checked it in a bit) but if it comes to fruition it will be very interesting to drive into RVA (south to north) on the highway and see the "city" and the apartments across the water. It will feel and look very cool. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

My understanding- and I could very well be wrong- is that this piece hasn’t been appropriated yet.

• Thanks 1

The South Falls plans become a bit more clear in this morning’s RBS.  Perhaps our discussions here prompted Mike Platania’s article.  Thanks for listening and digging for more clarity Mike (if you’re reading):

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/01/05/developers-plan-next-phases-of-riverfront-residential-towers-in-manchester/

South Falls II breaking ground Spring of this year!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well... ya can't blame me for hoping they stay the course and built it!  I start getting worried now when the site of proposed and designed towers start  going up for sale so that "someone else can build it". This is becoming a bit of an uncomfortable trend in Manchester (witness Port RVA II @ 512 Hull Street and River's Edge II -- which is QUITE near to the South Falls III site -- just a little ways farther west along the Manchester riverfront). I don't like it at all. Let's just build the damn towers and move on, shall we?

My feeling on this parallels the therapist in the really funny Progressive homeowners insurance commercial -- when he take a group of young homeowners ("who have become their parents") to an NFL game and one asks (as they're walking toward the stadium) "are we still thinking of heading out around the third quarter?" -- the therapist responds -- "let's not talk about leaving before we're actually at the game."

Southfalls3-2048x1681.jpeg

Screenshot (554).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for taking and posting these, Coupe. It's AMAZING to see this!! Ahhh... ye ole city, she's a-changin' right before our very eyes!

And it's a thing of beauty to watch!

Here's hoping all that new development will get us some REAL utility poles and nice lighting fixtures (not to mention better sidewalks) in that part of Manchester and rid us of the schlocky looking, cheap (I know - inexpensive), wooden telephone poles. UGH... Time to ACT like a real city by LOOKING like a real city, dammit!! :tw_wink:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

when the Centennial Towers plans on e. Main Street downtown vaporized and now on the site sits are five-story apartment building that I believe bears the "Centennial" name (I might be wrong about the naming)...

You are correct, Centennial Terrace.  If I recall the name was a reference to the renovated building on the corner that was part of the project, but I forgot where it came from specifically.  It is also 6 floors, so one closer to the 30-some original plan!

Ah, the old building was named "The Centennial."  Having been built in 1906 I cannot think of any significant event in 1806 for it to earn the name.

image.thumb.png.ab8898efc23f6e9a152daf66e0891582.png

• Like 2