Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I had a nice chat with the fellow who is doing BPM on 18th Street. The young guy (Mac, I believe is his name) is quite enthused about the area. He is also doing DEUCES WILD, the dualling pianos bar going into old Wildcats on 17th.

Progress is coming along on SAMS which will occupy about three buildings on 17th just south of Franklin. Someone told me it will have a pretty general menu.

If PAPA NINGO on Franklin between 17th and 18th is expanding, there was no evidence of it, although a building just east has brown paper over the windows.

The bartender at BIG DADDY's, who used to be one of the girls swinging from the ceiling, says business is "decent". She also told me that GOODFELLA's is nearly ready as well as an Italian restaurant and that Wilson of BIG DADDY's runs them all.

Actually, the guy you spoke with at BPM was probably Matt, the manager. Anthony Wilson is the owner at BIG DADDY'S, and he is the man behind BPM, DEUCES WILD, and GOODFELLA'S. I sold him TONIC THAI, which he has done an excellent job at converting and upgrading to BPM. They are shooting for opening at BPM next weekend, 8/17-8/18 -- I can't remember if they are working towards Friday or Saturday as their opening.

The opening for DEUCES WILD is looking like late September.

GOODFELLA'S is going to be the Italian restaurant.

I've been doing a lot of work down in Shockoe Bottom lately, so I keep pretty well up-to-date with everything going on down there.

Oh, and I believe that PAPA NINGO'S is moving into that space that you saw where the windows were covered in brown paper. I don't know what's going to happen to their current spot, but that's a great opportunity for someone to move in.

nhughes... any idea what the spotlight thing was for in the bottom last night? Was it for a new restaurant/bar opening? I noticed it on the way out of Toad's Place last night.

That's actually been there for a while now. It's coming from the roof of Velvet. Whoever runs it is making a pretty big effort to market it. Unfortunately I think the reason the building next to it has remained vacant so long is because noo ne wants to move in next to the strip club. Too bad since it's such a prominent corner. How was the Buddy Guy show?

Dana tried out KITCHEN 64 on North Boulevard two or three times and despite noise, relatively slow service and a few clinkers from the kitchen, she says it's worth three stars.

I looked into Northside Grille and was not overly impressed. Did not try the food but there was a goodly crowd who appeared happy. The hostess was cheerful and informative.

So, there are two new options in the Northside.

Last Friday night, date and I tried out KARSEN's in the 34-hundred block of West Cary. The 2-level restaurant with front patio is among those houses that have been converted to shops in Carytown, but I don't remember the exact address nor its phone number. Maybe one of you can fill in with more complete info.

The ambiance and food are absolutely first rate. Turns out I know the owner, Jeanne Strong. She and a couple of others who had been associated with ZEUS GALLERY on Belmonst Avenue decided to test their wings and open their own restaurant. They have succeeded in spades!!

Upon entering from the street thru the patio there is a ramp leading to the interior. Immediately ahead on the east wall is a interestingly shaped marble bar. A wall separates the bar from a stairway leading to a couple of upstairs rooms containing a few tables, while the west wall of the downstairs is lined with space for diners at well-set tables.

As attractive as it is, the food is the crown jewel. I had red snapper (which our waitress called by another name) over deliciously flavored risotto and tiny al dente asparagus. Everything was beautifully prepared and presented. The tab was about $92, if I remember correctly.

And you can actually carry on a conversation and not be blasted by irritating noises. Smooth and low-toned jazz hums in the background.

An overall excellent dining experience in Richmond.

Four of us had an excellent dinner at TWENTY SEVEN on First Friday. We were seated at a table adjacent to the bar behind a partition and could not see any street activity. The place was packed and while our meals were delicious, the noise level was horrific!

Two of us ate at MARSHALL STREET CAFE across from Emerick Flats at the triangle of Adams, Brook Road and Marshall Streets. Oddly enough for a Saturday night, we were the only couple in the place. But the food was quite good and we got out for a total of $50 including a martini for her, tax and tip.

Thursday night after deboarding my train in Ashland, which was an hour late, we went to IRONHORSE where I had only soup and an appetizer. Both were delicious.

I also had lunch at SOUTHERN RAILROAD DELI on Friday. It's in the old freight depot on 14th Street next door to MORTON's Steak House. It offers a very wide selection and reminds me of delis here in New York. The place was packed and was again on Monday when I peeked in on the way to EUROPA for lunch. I'm told it always does a very brisk lunch trade.

I liked EUROPA. Had tapas and a cup of delicious soup.

Edited by burt

I think Imentioned this somewhere else in my post-trip ramblings, but Mo Roman's VAULT underneath the beautiful BANK restaurant at 1005 East Main Street, is supposed to open in about a month. VAULT will be a club offering d/j's, bands and (I think they told me) dancing. According to the BANK bartender, the basement club will be as large as the first-floor restaurant.

I mentioned to the bartender that I bet they did a land-office business when Michael Vick appeared at the Federal Court House across Main Street. There were hundreds of activitists and almost as many journalists. But she said virtually nobody came in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And did I mention CAPITAL ALE HOUSE? Years ago, the restaurant/bar on Main Street between 6th and 7th used to be a very popular place with legislators and other government types and was called O'MALLEY's.

Since the opening last month of an extension into a neighboring building, CAPITAL ALE now has the original bar with its ice strip, plus a downstairs bar with pool table and a beer garden in the rear patio. PLUS, a great little Music Hall in the second building. I dropped in about 4:30PM Thursday and all the rooms were packed with people including a goodly number listening to a performer in the music hall.

And did I mention CAPITAL ALE HOUSE? Years ago, the restaurant/bar on Main Street between 6th and 7th used to be a very popular place with legislators and other government types and was called O'MALLEY's.

Since the opening last month of an extension into a neighboring building, CAPITAL ALE now has the original bar with its ice strip, plus a downstairs bar with pool table and a beer garden in the rear patio. PLUS, a great little Music Hall in the second building. I dropped in about 4:30PM Thursday and all the rooms were packed with people including a goodly number listening to a performer in the music hall.

That about sums it up... the guys at Capital are on to something now... with the third location due to open sometime soon in Mechanicsville they are thinking about where else to expand to. Sales are brisk most week days at the downtown location and they hope to keep that going, which I dont see as a problem. No one can compete with their beer selection yet in the area.

Burt, it's Infuzion with a Z. Your link is spelled with an S. So that it doesn't get confusing with two posts with 2 different links, just edit your post and change the S to a Z. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Coupe. All fixed! You guys have to take care of the old man; he's not so sharp in his old age. :)

Style Weekly's Deveron speaks very highly of SKYY RESTAURANT & JAZZ PALACE at 14 West Broad (almost directly across the street from TARRANTS).

"Owners John and Octavia Dantzler and Antoine Johnson opened the restaurant to fill a void in the local music scene after several jazz clubs closed in the past two years. They offer a moderately priced menu of catfish, burgers, steak medallions and side dishes in a space that's furnished with couches and tables and a full bar."

"We want a mature, multiracial crowd where everybody feels welcome," Johnson says.

Personal note from Burt: A friend and I were having dinner at MARSHALL STREET CAFE when a woman came in and asked a waiter if they offered live jazz. They do on certain nights, but this Saturday was not one of them. Having been in SKYY, I was very pleased to pipe up and direct the woman and her friends around the corner for what I hoped turned out to be a lively evening of music appreciation in a pleasant atmosphere.

I hope this club is successful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mo Roman, of BANK & VAULT fame, now has to share the honor of having the Richmond restaurant with the shortest name. His SI tapas bar on Lombardy between Grove and Hanover (opening maybe this week) is being upstaged at 3433 W. Cary. Its name? HI. The former Blue Mountain Cafe and Coffee Bar is giving way to HI's mixture of "stylish furnishings and diversions", including a deck.

Deveron adds, sadly to my memories, that FOX HEAD INN in Goochland's horse country has closed. A family of transplanted New Jersy-ites will reopen the white farmhouse in early September and call it THE FARMHOUSE AT MANAKIN ROAD. Cuisine will be of Italian persuasion. Steaks and seafood will also be on the menu.

"We haven't changed much inside, but it's a little more casual dining in an elegant atmosphere", says Jesika Tuthill, one of the new owners.

Sigh!

Edited by burt