Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Thank you, nhughes, and I'm glad you are joining us. Your comments are welcome always.

Bellagio's did not last very long, did it? It saddens me when a restaurant (or any business) goes belly up. All the dreams and hopes die with it. I hope Bellagio's owners find success in their next venture -- whatever it might be.

It always affected me the same way. Now it's even more so, since I'm a Business Broker and Commercial Realtor specializing in restaurants at Bandazian & Holden.

I actually was working with the owners at Bellagio's to sell at the end of 2005 and beginning of 2006. That's why I recognized the address immediately. (And yes, the Style article last week said that we sold Bellagio's, but that was a mix-up -- it was supposed to reference the sale of Bellacino's.) They are good people, the whole family.

You're right about it being way out Staples Mill, almost to the intersection with I-295.

Thanks for the welcome! I am going to try to keep up in here. I have seen a lot of good discussion that I don't want to miss out on.

Coupe, the Powhatan Mexican restaurant is called El Cerro Azul (or The Blue Hill in translation -- which I'm sure you know from your Spanish classes at JMU :) ).

I swear it was not up on the board when I first went to Style about 9:30am today.

Anyway, apparently it is a family owned operation. Reviewer Joseph Cates visited EL CERRO AZUL with a friend who either is Mexican or lived several years south of the border.

"At its worst", says Cates, the restaurant is "a starkly lit, characterless, dropped-ceiling, acoustic-tiled space that could be nearly anything."

But Cates says his amigo thinks "EL CERRO AZUL serves a few good, solidly Mexican standards, including a particularly authentic rendition of carnitas." They both enjoyed enchiladas verde and a spicy salsa with "charred pequeno peppers" which is served on request.

Mexican beers, daiquiris and margaritas are served, although there is no bar in the small room.

EL CERRO AZUL (The Blue Hill in English) near the Chesterfield/Powhatan line.

2650 Anderson Highway

Powhatan, Va.

Tel. 804/598-8400

Open daily from 9:30AM (noon on Saturdays and Sundays) until 9PM Mondays & Tuesdays, and until 10PM other nights.

Edited by burt

Hot dog, nhughes! I bet you could give us lots of inside info on the local restaurant scene. :ph34r:

But, seriously, no one here expects you to talk out of school -- just share what you can, please.

I've never heard of Bellacinos's.

I'll chime in when I can. I can't always, of course -- lots of confidential stuff going on all the time.

I'm going to try to start being more proactive about getting info out there once the deal is done. Maybe I'll even start doing press releases.

I don't know how much self-promotion is okay here, but I do have a blog that has been quoted on one of the topics (which is what brought my attention to the board a little while back).

I've never heard of Bellacinos's.

Whoops, forgot to address this in my last post.

Bellacino's is on West Broad Street, almost out to Parham Road. Behind the Friendly's, in the shopping center with Big Lots. It is a franchise from Michigan. Great food. If you haven't tried it, then you need to!

When I worked in Innsbrook, people would drive out to get an order from there! I used to think they were crazy, because there was so much that was closer.

Dana goes Popkin!!

I'm sure when Dana Craig set out with her party to sample the delights of POPKIN TAVERN she had no gourmet expectations. POPKIN is what it is, which she gracefully acknowledges in her Times Dispatch review today. As she says, "...it's a hip, neighborhood hangout where a stylin' bar feels right at home beneath living roomesque lounge areas set with couches and coffee tables. It's the missing link in Broad Street's growing restaurant row.

"This hot stretch of pavement, however, wasn't always so hot. Its transition began when Comfort and its Southern Living-meets NYC dining concept, along with numerous art galleries, turned the neighborhood's abandoned storefronts into First Friday hot spots."

Chicago restauanteur Steve Soble, scion of a Richmond Furniture store mogul, brought life to this corner of Broad and Jefferson Streets as well as 18 apartments in the upper reaches of the vast building.

Nosh foods and conviviality are the highlights here. Burgers and fries, meatloaf and chicken potpie provide sustenance along with several other entree items. Friendly, professional servers and pool tables add to the ambience.

It's two and a half stars for:

POPKIN TAVERN

123 West Broad Street

tel. (804)343-1909

Tab for two: $57.

nhughes, I don't know the regulations about blogs, etc, but urbanva who monitors this particular site could tell us.

How about it, urbanva (Steve :) )?

I have to go out to dinner now, but will keep looking for your posts.

You may link your blog address on your profile so those who wish to read it may do so.

Ate at Kuba Kuba not too long ago, 'Kuban' restaurant on Park Ave in the fan. I was fairly impressed. Above average food and an open kitchen that allows for personal interaction with the chef. His mom even makes all the desserts herself... which were extremely limited that night due to her being busy earlier that week.

Ate at Kuba Kuba not too long ago, 'Kuban' restaurant on Park Ave in the fan. I was fairly impressed. Above average food and an open kitchen that allows for personal interaction with the chef. His mom even makes all the desserts herself... which were extremely limited that night due to her being busy earlier that week.

Thanks, BP, for your comments on KUBA KUBA at Park and Lombardy.

There's another little spot that looks like Kuba Kuba (corner building -- space shaped like a slice of pie) a few blocks west at Park and Meadow Streets. It's called TABLE 9. It was formerly Chiocca's.

If anyone has eaten at TABLE 9, please give us your opinion.

Edited by burt

I'll chime in when I can. I can't always, of course -- lots of confidential stuff going on all the time.

I'm going to try to start being more proactive about getting info out there once the deal is done. Maybe I'll even start doing press releases.

I don't know how much self-promotion is okay here, but I do have a blog that has been quoted on one of the topics (which is what brought my attention to the board a little while back).

Did you see urbanva's reply, nhughes?

Edited by burt

Aha! I saw your link in your profile and am going to read it when I get a chance, nhuges. :D

I went to Popkin's Wednesday night for a couple after work drinks. I liked it - cool atmosphere and food/beverage selection. Thinking about Tarrant's for dinner tonight...

While at TARRANTS tonight, CommRE, inquire around, if you get the chance, and ask if plans for expansion are still being considered. Any details you can glean will be appreciated.

While at TARRANTS tonight, CommRE, inquire around, if you get the chance, and ask if plans for expansion are still being considered. Any details you can glean will be appreciated.

Will do! I'll let you know if I find out anything.

jasonb, I just saw your comments on Tarrants. Sounds pretty good!

Can you guys help me identify the restaurant in this picture? It's a restaurant located in the upper Fan, but I can't think of the name or address...

rvacover1eb3.jpg

Could it be CARLTON's at Floyd Avenue and Robinson Street which formerly was known as Konsta's? It has a second floor bar and dining room as well as tables downstairs.

Hahaha. This is kinda fun. We could have a game of "name the eatery". :yahoo:

Will you recognize the name when you see it, BP?

Tarrants was ok last night. I see why they are talking about expanding, it is small! I didn't get any confirmation on expansion plans though. Couple of observations:

• It's a nice place - paper napkins don't do it justice for dinner
  • The sausage, potato and cabbage soup was awesome
  • The salmon was just ok - a little dry. I prefer my wife's recipe
  • Our waitress had a trainee with her. Both did fine.
  • They don't have a wine list. They should.
  • I still don't feel totally safe walking down Broad to go out in that area. But I think that will steadily improve.

Tarrants was ok last night. I see why they are talking about expanding, it is small! I didn't get any confirmation on expansion plans though. Couple of observations:
  • It's a nice place - paper napkins don't do it justice for dinner
  • The sausage, potato and cabbage soup was awesome
  • The salmon was just ok - a little dry. I prefer my wife's recipe
  • Our waitress had a trainee with her. Both did fine.
  • They don't have a wine list. They should.
  • I still don't feel totally safe walking down Broad to go out in that area. But I think that will steadily improve.

Excellent comments. CommRe. Surprise over the lack of a wine list (don't they retail wine from there?) And Disappointment re: paper napkins and feelings of insecurity in the neighborhood.