Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

"Can you find a decent lunch downtown for less than five bucks and 30 minutes," asks B. P. Fox of Style Weekly? Why, yes. Try CHRISTOPHER'S RUNAWAY GOURMAY. No French cuisine or spelling here, just surprisingly sophisticated good eats off of a few food carts scattered along Main at 8th, 10th and 12th streets and at 11th and Marshall.

There are lots of competing carts aiming to feed office hordes but with the exception of one run by Papa Ningo near VCU Medical, CHRISTOPHER'S RUNAWAY GOURMAY is king of the hill.

Most of the carts are wheeled off the streets between December and March. But they are a welcome addition to the downtown street scene spring, summer and fall.

Dana's review selection for this week's edition of the TD is NANKING, 7408 W. Broad St., tel. 804/270-3888.

The restaurant, which has been an Oriental treat in Metro Richmond for 20 years, recently has taken up residence in the former Awful Arthur's vast space. It's a "pink and green neon oasis amid a car dealership desert." And Dana continues, "the new location boasts extras not found at many Chinese restaurants (such as) lounge area with couches and fireplace, flat screen TVs airing non-stop ESPN and a bumping bar." It still has Awful Arthur's vibe. The menu is pretty good, though your plate may arrive with less than you expected. Dana ordered the Sizzling Seafood Party Wor Bar, but the promised lobster was not among the shrimps and (oversized) scallops.

Service as well was lacking panache.

Two and a half stars.

Tab for two: $74.

Edited by burt

"Can you find a decent lunch downtown for less than five bucks and 30 minutes," asks B. P. Fox of Style Weekly? Why, yes. Try CHRISTOPHER'S RUNAWAY GOURMAY. No French cuisine or spelling here, just surprisingly sophisticated good eats off of a few food carts scattered along Main at 8th, 10th and 12th streets and at 11th and Marshall.

There are lots of competing carts aiming to feed office hordes but with the exception of one run by Papa Ningo near VCU Medical, CHRISTOPHER'S RUNAWAY GOURMAY is king of the hill.

Most of the carts are wheeled off the streets between December and March. But they are a welcome addition to the downtown street scene spring, summer and fall.

They did have the best bang for your buck for what you got!

POPKIN TAVERN, long discussed in these pages, is set to open its spacious quarters by early October. This restaurant occupies ground floor and mezzanine space in the former circa 1900 furniture store at 121 West Broad on the corner of Jefferson Street. Apartments on three levels above are fully leased. Says Deveron, "Seating groups clustered throughout the space will be anchored by a long bar and accented by original tin ceiling tiles, period detail and spacious new kitchen and service areas". A chef was not named in Deveron's report nor were menu selections.

Hey Gang, It should not be long now the Lights & Bar are in place but no evidence of kitchen equipment or Tables and Chairs. It looked like carpet was ready to be placed somewhere as there was a huge roll in the room today.

The layout looks pretty kewl, ( forgot my phone has a cam ) more to come later

I'm delightd to report that on my first full day in Richmond I am being taken to see the amazingly talented Richmond actor, Scott Wichtman, in I AM MY OWN WIFE at The Firehouse Theatre. Afterwards, we're having dinner at BANK. :yahoo:

Thursday night, October 5th, it will be dinner at MICHELE'S and the Agatha Christie play THE MOUSETRAP at newly restored Hanover Tavern.

Other events lined up include The Richmond Ballet at their 5th and Canal street Studio Theatre; I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE at Swift Creek Mill; THE CONSTANT WIFE at Barksdale; SORDID LIVES at Fielden's, and even the road company of AIDA at The Landmark (I missed it on B'way). Haha. I'll end up seeing more theatre in one month in Richmond than I do in several months here in Manattan.

And I'm looking forward to dinner at many other Richmond area restaurants. :)

Edited by burt

Sounds great. Sounds like a busy but fun time for you, burt. Hope you enjoy your time in Richmond. :)

Well, we won't go to BANK after the theatre on Oct. 1st because they are closed on Sundays. I think we will end up at The Dining Room at The Berkley instead, though Mortons. Bookbinders and Hard Shell are options being investigated by my hosts. The Berkley is excellent.

I'll have to try BANK another time.

Jonbeattie, I'm looking forward to a tour of Renaissance in October. I'll just come to the 4th floor and ask for you, and if you're not there, I'll try again on another day. :)

Sounds Great Burt, I hope I am there to greet you !

On the Tavern Side some REALLY nice funiture was delivered to the Popkin Tavern today. They are moving right along.

Burt, Remember the Pokins Tavern, Comfort, TheaterIV and 27 are all in the same block of Broad that we reside in ...... :whistling:

Sounds Great Burt, I hope I am there to greet you !

On the Tavern Side some REALLY nice funiture was delivered to the Popkin Tavern today. They are moving right along.

Burt, Remember the Pokins Tavern, Comfort, TheaterIV and 27 are all in the same block of Broad that we reside in ...... :whistling:

Yes, I know Jon. Also, there are probably upward of a hundred new residents in apartments above those restaurants. :)

See you soon.

I bet POPKINS TAVERN is racing the clock to be ready for the Art Walk influx on Friday, October 6th. There's nothing better than full houses to generate word-of-mouth publicity!

Edited by burt

CAPITAL ALES HOUSE is expanding. The flagship on Main between 6th and 7th streets has taken over the 8000 s/f building next door. The added space will provide a larger dining room and a better staging area for entertainers. Perhaps McLawsdrive will pull a gig there. :good: A beer garden behind the building and basement rathskeller are expected to be on line in 2007.

Hopefully this will make the downtown store an actual flagship. The Innsbrook store has a considerably larger beer selection (something like 75 taps vs. 40), and usually better selections.

Popkins will be the best looking place in Richmond. What they have done with it so far is amazing and the decor (art deco) alone will take dinning in Richmond to a new level. I check it out daily and have developed a serious crush on the place. Tarants Drug down the street is looking great too, but in a lace curtain kind of way (I suspect expensive French cafe food from the looks of the place). Anyone know what's going in there? Should be open soon.

Popkins will be the best looking place in Richmond. What they have done with it so far is amazing and the decor (art deco) alone will take dinning in Richmond to a new level. I check it out daily and have developed a serious crush on the place. Tarants Drug down the street is looking great too, but in a lace curtain kind of way (I suspect expensive French cafe food from the looks of the place). Anyone know what's going in there? Should be open soon.

Brent, go back a page to #56 and look at my entry dated 9/6/06 at 12:40PM. There's info on POPKINS and TARRANT'S. The latter I think will be more of a salad/sandwich kind of place and wil also be a retail wine shop.

Incidentally, CHEZ FOUSHEE at the corner of Foushee and Grace will open for dinner one night only Friday, October 6th to help feed the hordes of art walkers. If it is successful, It will open every First Friday. Meanwhile, they will serve luncheon only.

RIVER CITY DINER is a must see for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I went there this past weekend, to their "new" location in the bottom. What theyve done to restore that old building was incredible! It has a great atmosphere, along with excellent food and a great staff. It is fairly cheap, and has the quality of a true diner.

Good reporting as usual, TBurban. Though I believe River City Diner is a brand new building. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tommy (that's TBurban's familiar name), will you and others look after this column til I get back from my vacation in November? I will be where all the action is - RICHMOND! :yahoo: But it is strictly a holiday and I'm looking forward to lapping up everything the city has to offer.

Below are my comments on Deveron's comments, and tomorrow, I'll summarize Dana Craig's review. And that will pretty much be all until I return to New York on November 1st. I know! It's ironic that I live in Manhattan and write about Richmond's restaurant scene. So sue me! :lol:

Good reporting as usual, TBurban. Though I believe River City Diner is a brand new building. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tommy (that's TBurban's familiar name), will you and others look after this column til I get back from my vacation in November? I will be where all the action is - RICHMOND! :yahoo: But it is strictly a holiday and I'm looking forward to lapping up everything the city has to offer.

Below are my comments on Deveron's comments, and tomorrow, I'll summarize Dana Craig's review. And that will pretty much be all until I return to New York on November 1st. I know! It's ironic that I live in Manhattan and write about Richmond's restaurant scene. So sue me! :lol:

As a matter of fact, there was a Harley Davidson rider eating breakfast there, that had said they renovated the building and pre construction, it was abandoned.

Ill see what I can do, but it will be nothing compared to the king of restaurant reviews :)

Edited by TBurban

Style's Deveron Timberlake tells us about a new addition to the Giavos restaurant Empire. In addition to KUBA KUBA, 3 MONKEYS and SIDEWALK CAFE, Johnny and Katrina Giavos will take over ZIPPY'S BA BA on North Boulevard near Westwood Avenue. But this primarily will be Katrina's operation. She'll decide on the menu and decor. Her Mom, Stella Dikos, who has overseen namesake restaurants, will recreate some of her signature dishes at KITCHEN 64. The name derives from Interstate 64 which passes within hailing distance. A November opening is anticipated.

Other news: ZED CAFE at 5109 Lakeside Avenue, 804/261-5656, is now serving dinner Thursdays through Saturdays. Organic foods, select meats, poultry and seafood are featured.

DURO, formely LIMANI, has called it quits and has closed its Carytown restaurant. As LIMANI, it enjoyed a fine reputation for its imported seafood, but DURO just didn't cut the mustard.

Style's B. P.Fox gives two thumbs up to EDIBLE GARDEN, the charming English-y cottage way out at 12506 River Road in Goochland. Tel. 804/784-2011. It's so English-y, in fact, that originally it was known as The English Tea Room serving scones, biscuits, soups, salads and sandwiches during daylight hours only.

Under its new name, EDIBLE GARDEN now serves excellent meals at dinner time as well. Chef Ed Blase bases his menus on whatever is available from Virginia farms, and there generally is a Southern twang to his dishes. If you like your meat tender, you might wish to eschew the grass-fed beef from Gryffon Aerie Farm. It has a concentrated flavor since the cattle are not fed grain and can be - well, chewy.

Desserts are worth the drive, says Ms. Fox. A delicate cheesecake, warm apple cake served with homemade ice cream and a tantalizing chocolate cake are among the closing treats.

Lunch Monday-Saturday, 11 am to 2 pm

Dinner Thursday-Saturday, starting at 5 pm

Carryout dinners available until 3 pm Monday-Friday.

Edited by burt

As a matter of fact, there was a Harley Davidson rider eating breakfast there, that had said they renovated the building and pre construction, it was abandoned.

Ill see what I can do, but it will be nothing compared to the king of restaurant reviews :)

I'd almost be willing to bet that Harley Davidson driver a quarter. He's right that "pre" pre-construction an old building was abandoned. But it was demolished and this new one was constructed on the site.

Does anybody know if anything has moved into old River City Diner on Main Street?

Edited by burt

I have nickels... :blush:

Anyone been to either of the Anthony's Italian Restaurants? When I worked in Ashland, we used to order our lunch all the time from the Ashland location. It was quite good and always packed on weekends. Then there's the Henrico Plaza location. I decided to stop by to pick up my dinner from there (I'm usually on the run so no sit down dining usually), and this was the first time I had had anything from this location since Henrico Plaza was a bustling shopping center in the 80s. I was surprised at how busy they were. I had never noticed and the pizzas are huge and smell so good. I'll get one another time. I think the Henrico Plaza location is a best-kept secret but the Ashland one, the whole town knows about it and turns out.

OK, here's my last significant post for a month since I'll be on vacation in Richmond until early November:

Dana Craig slaps three stars on EMILIO'S expansion restaurant at 7016 Woodside Commons Loop in the Woodside Commons Shopping Center, tel. 804/639-8099. The original EMILIO'S still thrives (with music) at the corner of Broad and Meadow Streets and has been commented on elsewhere in these pages.

I use the word "slaps" because Dana had some less than rave things to say about a few menu offerings. The bruchetta's "soggy store-bought bread" had "bold and feisty" toppings. Cerviche was "a suprising disappointment" and her party found more success in Americanized standards like "pastas with cream sauce and a N.Y. strip."

EMILIO'S, though, sounds like a fun addition to Chesterfield's dining options. "On a recent Friday night, the place was slammed. Couples intimately tucked into tall, bar-side tables shared the tiny dining room with a bubbly group of women reveling in a night out." Friendly owner, Emilio Peiro was observed in the open kitchen while other personnel performed their jobs and charmed the full house.

Spanish cuisine is heavy on tapas - a variety of appetizers available for customers to sample. Among those tried by Dana and friends were lamb meatballs, tuna cerviche and "one of six styles of bruschetta" at moderate prices. "The meat balls were subtle, not gamy, accented by a delicate rosemary and garlic-laced saffron sauce."

Entrees included Merluza ala Vasca (tilapia in green sauce) and pollo al Cardinal, a sort of chicken cordon bleu.

At dessert time Dana had an "incredible" orange flan..."real live flan smooth, firm and soothing, not some flimsy, unctuous wannabe" that delighted her palate. Others ejoyed tiramisu and chocolate mousse cake.

Dana finishes her review thusly: "Dining at EMILIO'S is about more than food. While the menu has its ups and downs, its simple Spanish hospitality creates a spirit of comraderie that turns patrons, servers and even neighboring tables into instant friends. You'll wonder how the night and third glass of sangria went by so fast."

I'd say that rates three stars!

Tab for two: $78.

Edited by burt

My latest dining excursion in Richmond, VA was Edo's Squid at the corner of Harrison and Grace. Spectacular Italian food and a full service bar! I ordered the Monkfish Fra Deviola (sp) while my associate ordered the Penne Broccoli Rabe. Both on opposite ends of the spectrum, yet both fabulous.

However, I still think that Mamma 'Zu is a superior location despite being owned by the same man, Ed Vasaio. The tiramisu served there is unparalled by any restaurant I've ever dine at, including Edo's Squid and 8.5!! Also I love the atmosphere... but I must know, how the heck did it accumulate the ubiquitous reputation of having terrible services? The waitresses there have all reciprocate the love I try to give.