Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

My sources were correct about the restaurant approved for Rocketts Landing. It will be under the aegis of THE BOATHOUSE AT SUNDAY PARK which is on the shore of Swift Creek Lake in the Brandmill area of Chesterfield County.

Coupe has placed the Times Dispatch story in the Rocketts Landing thread, but here it is again for those of you who might have missed it.

From today's RTD dot com:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-212731/153109/

Edited by burt

If anyone recalls the rendering of a "possible" restaurant at Rocketts Landing in the thread of the same name on the UrbanPlanet site, disabuse yourself of that image. It was merely a mock-up of the space prepared by the management of the property.

I believe Johannas Design, which has done such a fine job with GIBSON'S at The National, will be the architect of record for the BOATHOUSE space at Rocketts. An unimpeded window view of the river is planned as a major feature. The timeline is not set, but fall of 2009 may be a target date.

The RTD's Dana Craig tried out Q BARBECUE and reports on it this week. The place, next to Wal*Mart on Midlothian Tpk, sort of operates like a glorified fast-food/take-out style drive-in, but doesn't resemble Barbeques of old with neon pigs on the walls.

Dana says:

"Q is for quirky -- the logo is the letter fashioned to look like a pig's nose.

Q is for funny -- signature merchandise bears one-liners, such as 'Barbeque so good you'll lick someone else's fingers'.

But most important,

Q knows how to smoke some meat."

Dana uses the word "delectable" and gives it three stars.

You might want to try this one.

Q BARBECUE

Rating: 3 Stars

2077 Walmart Way (off of Midlothian Tpk)

Tel. 804/897-9007

Noise Level: Average

Smoke-Free

Tab for Two: $28

My note: There's seems to be some confusion over the actual spelling of the place name; is it BarbeCue or BarbeQue?

Here's Dana's full review:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-183748/155653/

Edited by burt

Style Weekly's webpage is going through some kind of reconstruction so am unable to bring over the latest dining-out review by the publication's new critic. Her name is Tess Autrey Bosher who comes to Richmond via South Carolina, UVA and New York City with a work history at Saveur Magazine and the Food Network.

She went to RIVERS RIDGE recently and offers mixed comments, though heavily balanced on the "rave" side.

Bill Cabaniss, purveyor of fine foods at JULEP'S, has taken over the property formerly known as Graffiti Grill and brought clubby class to the neighborhood. I suspect the non-possessive name he has chosen reflects the nearby upscale River Road and the commercial section of Ridge Road in which the restaurant is located.

Ms Bosher especially enjoyed pan seared duck breast in the elegant white tablecloth dining room and speaks very highly of nibbles such as Philly Chris

Steak available at the commodius bar called "Clyde's Corner" in honor of a deceased Cabiniss friend.

RIVERS RIDGE is the new West End "in" spot. Reservations may be wise at weekends.

RIVERS RIDGE

403B Ridge Road in Tuckahoe Shopping Center

Tel. 804/288-0633

Smoke Free

Ms Bosher quotes BillCabiniss : "Good food at a reasonable price."

My sources were correct about the restaurant approved for Rocketts Landing. It will be under the aegis of THE BOATHOUSE AT SUNDAY PARK which is on the shore of Swift Creek Lake in the Brandmill area of Chesterfield County.

Coupe has placed the Times Dispatch story in the Rocketts Landing thread, but here it is again for those of you who might have missed it.

From today's RTD dot com:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-212731/153109/

That's going to be a great location for a restaurant. I hope for the sake of their view and for that section of riverfront in general that they make an effort to bury the utility line that starts near the power plant and runs west between Water and Main St. The City doesn't seem to notice them at all but their abundance drives me insane sometimes. Between the mess in the Bottom and the tangle of lines by the Jefferson Hotel and the new VCU buildings, I wonder what it will take for the City to notice how they detract from an area and mandate utility line burial with all new downtown construction projects.

My wife and I arrived a little early for the Bio Ritmo show at Toad's Place last night, so we decided to get some dinner at Highwater. Very disappointed. The atmosphere was great - it is a well designed space. The service, drinks and food were below par.

-I ordered a Manhattan. They were out of the brand of liquor I requested, then it was made completely wrong. I settled for a beer.

-Service was very, very slow. There was only one other table seated. Granted, it was 8 people, but our waitress didn't have that table.

- My wife's dinner order did not come out as listed on the menu (missing a key ingredient)

- To top it off, I got the bill and put a 15% tip on (I usually tip 20% if everything is fine). As I got up to leave, I took another look and noticed they put an 18% gratuity on the bill already! For two people. I did not have time to address these issues while there, but I will be contacting the GM to give my feedback.

Bottom line - convenience is great if you are there for a show, but next time I am going to Morton's instead.

My wife and I arrived a little early for the Bio Ritmo show at Toad's Place last night, so we decided to get some dinner at Highwater. Very disappointed. The atmosphere was great - it is a well designed space. The service, drinks and food were below par.

-I ordered a Manhattan. They were out of the brand of liquor I requested, then it was made completely wrong. I settled for a beer.

-Service was very, very slow. There was only one other table seated. Granted, it was 8 people, but our waitress didn't have that table.

- My wife's dinner order did not come out as listed on the menu (missing a key ingredient)

- To top it off, I got the bill and put a 15% tip on (I usually tip 20% if everything is fine). As I got up to leave, I took another look and noticed they put an 18% gratuity on the bill already! For two people. I did not have time to address these issues while there, but I will be contacting the GM to give my feedback.

Bottom line - convenience is great if you are there for a show, but next time I am going to Morton's instead.

Sorry to hear of your experience at HIGHWATER, CommRE.

I have given up ordering DRY Manhattans -- even up here in NYCity. Bartenders think they're doing you a favor by fixing what they call a "perfect" Manhattan and add sweet vermouth. So, I've switched to Rob Roys (even then some bartenders try to make those "perfect", but I send 'em back!)

Was there much of a crowd for the Bio Ritmo concert?

I ran into that "double" tipping routine recently (they add tip to the check but don't tell you at ISLMAORADA in Bass Pro Shop.)

Edited by burt

As an update to the above - I did talk to the manager. She said that automatically adding the gratuity for a small party is not their policy (although I assume it is for larger parties like most restaurants). She offered a gift certificate to come in again, which I will do once they open for lunch.

I'm with you Burt - a Manhattan is one of those drinks that is hard to get the same from place to place. When I say they made the Manhattan wrong, it wasn't just an issued of sweet vs dry vermouth, although the waitress did say that the bartender "looked up the recipe" and used 1/2 sweet and 1/2 dry. It was served warm in something similar to a highball glass.

The crowd was an ok size for Bio Ritmo. There were some experienced salsa dancers there that were very entertaining also.

Edited by CommRE

Deveron Timberlake has compiled a year-end list of restaurant happenings focusing mostly on closures and openings in Metro Richmond during 2008. She promises a column next week revealing hopes and plans for new dining establishments coming in the New Year.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmo...9D3430288834D1D

Edited by burt

William "Chris" Gooding, owner and operator of The Ranch on Brook Road near the Main Post Office has opened another restaurant in Church Hill. While The Ranch is solely a breakfast/lunch sort of place, Gooding's newest is offering breakfast on weekdays beginning at 7am, then will serve lunch and dinner until 10pm Mondays thru Thursdays and until 2am weekends. Sunday hours are 11am 'til 8pm.

While comfort food is the mainstay, owner Chris Gooding has added crab cakes, fried flounder and several varied options.

YALL'S GRILL is the homey name of the Church Hill location and is a full-service restaurant/bar.

The spot was known as Malone's Lounge for years and is next door to the neo-modern post office in the 400 block of North 25th between Marshall and Clay Streets. The remains of the old East End Theatre lie a few doors north.

Call ahead 804/648-0207 to inquire about menu offerings and to verify hours of operation.

Check out the food and drink menu at GIBSON'S GRILL in The National at 7th and Broad Streets:

First look smacks of bar bites, but some of those "Headliner" entrees have my mouth watering. Mmmmmm. They certainly offer variety!!

And from the drink carte, I'll have "an old Blue Eyes Martini" before selecting an Australian wine to go with my rib-eye. :alc:

http://www.gibsonsgrill.com/

Edited by burt

LA SIESTA, one of Richmond's earliest Mexican restaurants, will serve its last meals tomorrow night, Saturday January 3rd. It is located in an 11,000 square foot space at 9900 Midlothian Tpk.

Owner George Zajur says the closing does not reflect a lack of customer traffic. He simply wishes to spend more time with family. Catering services will continue and expand. Currently, LA SIESTA supplies fresh salsa to Ukrop markets.

This info is from a story in today's RTD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My note: If memory serves, there was a Mexican restaurant on Jefferson Davis Highway (US 1 & 301) near Bellwood long before I left Richmond in 1979. Wonder if it's still there?

Edited by burt

Uh oh!! Dana Craig is not happy with RIVERS RIDGE after two visits. While admiring the decor and ambiance, she found food and service inconsistent.

RIVERS RIDGE

403 N. Ridge Road

tel. 804/288-0633

Dana's Rating: One Star

http://www.riversridgebistro.com

Noise Level: High

Tab for two: $62 (including tax, but not booze and tip.)

Edited by burt

Deveron Timberlake's "Short Order" column in the current Style Weekly about anticipated restaurant openings in 2009 is what Deveron promised us in the last issue of the weekly newspaper.

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmo...9D3430288834D1D

A couple of the developments have been hinted at by insiders -- such as the Six Burner expansion to East Grace Street. I was told a Helen Reed designed space by a "well-known locally owned restaurant group" was in the works for a site "behind Miller & Rhoads." I infer from the "Short Order" column that it will share the Berry Burk building with Mo Roman's PIE.

I believe Helen Reed is responsible for the decor of DeLUXE in The Fan.

PESCADOS in Oregon Hill and the Rocketts Landing project have been discussed in these pages.

There's little specific info about THE BELVIDERE planned by a pair of Capital One execs. Could it be the white tablecloth dining experience hoped for at 6th and Grace Streets in Miller & Rhoads?

Edited by burt

I uttter a few cuss words every time I try to navigate the newly revised online Entertainment section of The Richmond Times Dispatch. It has the most unsophisticated table of contents of any Metropolitan daily I've encountered. Practically zero coverage of local theatre. But you can find horoscope, comics and crossword puzzles. And if you hit the right button, you might come across some nice comment by Melissa Rugierri about the local music scene.

But, hey!!! Look what I found!

Dana Craig's list of 10 best new restaurants with a slide show.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-132004/165581/

Cafe Rustica is certainly worth a try. Where is "Belvidere" supposed to be opening downtown?

I'm guessing it will go into the Grace & 6th corner of M&R. There had been speculation about a CAPITAL GRILL at that location, but THE BELVIDERE would be a locally owned non-chain fine dining establishment, if Deveron's story is correct.

Speaking of Belvidere, what is the latest on the glamorized mid-rise gas station/apartment project on the street of the same name at West Grace?

I'm guessing it will go into the Grace & 6th corner of M&R. There had been speculation about a CAPITAL GRILL at that location, but THE BELVIDERE would be a locally owned non-chain fine dining establishment, if Deveron's story is correct.

Speaking of Belvidere, what is the latest on the glamorized mid-rise gas station/apartment project on the street of the same name at West Grace?

I believe The Belvidere will be at 506 W. Broad. St. (near the intersection with Belvidere St), there is a sign in the window and based upon what you can see through the front window, it doesn't have very much further to go...

Welcome cmorrisette and thanks for solving the riddle about THE BELVIDERE. I can't picture the site in my mind except to guess that it is in the westernmost part of Broad Street's Gallery District. I think there is a drug store on the north side of Broad at Belvidere. The new restaurant of that name must be slightly east of there and close to the corner building that was Millie's Flag Shop. THE BELVIDERE, then, will join COMFORT, POPKINS TAVERN, BISTRO 27, TARRANTS, RENDEZVOUS, SKYE BAR and MARSHALL STREET CAFE along the artsy stretch of the West Broad corridor.

We'll just have to conjecture a little more about what will go in the 6th and Grace corner of Miller & Rhoads. :)

On the subject of downtown restaurants there is an interesting story in the current Richmond Magazine about AURORA. It is in the former bank building at the southeast corner of 4th and Grace and is diagonally across from LOUISIANA FLAIR. For about two years, it housed a very hot club called CAFFEIN's that was closed down when it ran afoul of the Law. Subsequently, a couple of other clubs (RUMORS and THE MATRIX ROOM) failed to make a go of it.

There is not a whole lot of enlightening info about AURORA in the magazine story. Apparently, it is owned by a Russian consortium of family, staff and friends. In the morning hours, it serves coffees and house-made pastries followed by a "superb salad bar." Writer Jason Tesauro says: "As twilight falls the emphasis shifts to white sofas and loveseats arranged parlor-style for canoodling and carousing, along with an eclectic tapas menu. The wide bar arches outward in a convex grin, greeting passersbywith slick lighting and a welcoming staff." Then the author goes on about the myriad cocktails whipped up by the bar manager.

Edited by burt

I believe The Belvidere will be at 506 W. Broad. St. (near the intersection with Belvidere St), there is a sign in the window and based upon what you can see through the front window, it doesn't have very much further to go...

Welcome cmorrisette...

http://www.thebelvidere.com/

You are correct Burt, it is on the North side of Broad in the building immediately to the east of the Rite Aid.