Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

nhughes, in April workmen were constructing something in the building next door to Big Daddy's. Goodfellows is even beyond that on Main at the corner of 18th. Is he (Washington, I believe is his name) going to have one large complex all the way from Big Daddy's to the corner?

Can't wait to check out all the new places; Goodfellows, BPM, Deuces Wild and the new Papa Ningos.

Sounds like the Bottom is jumping and that the entire entertainment/bar/restaurant/concert hall scene in downtown is thriving. Vault, under Bank, may also open soon, too. :alc:

Nope, you're thinking about the work that was going on at Goodfellas. It kind of looks like it takes up two spaces from the front, but it's actually one restaurant/bar.

They've been working on it for a while, and the front looks incredible. I think the outside may be completed, and now they are working on the interior.

Just got back from our first trip to Northside Grille. First time I've seen folks hanging out on the Bellevue Avenue sidewalk! In fact, there was a 45-minute wait when we arrived around 7 PM. But my husband and I were able to grab a spot at the bar immediately, so we ate there. The food was okay, but nothing great. It's mostly a bar food menu (sandwiches, wraps, and so forth), with a handful of entrees.

We stuck to sandwiches this time. My husband had the buffalo chicken sandwich with the pasta salad. He mentioned that the pasta salad was good and the sandwich was nice and spicy. I had the crabcake sandwich, which was good as well. Lots of crab in there! It was served with mustard, which I thought a bit odd. But the crabcake tasted just fine on its own. I had the potato salad on the side, which I probably won't order again -- way too much mayo.

Anyhow, all in all, an okay experience. Nothing to write home about. But, it is a very cool (non-smoking) space. And only a couple blocks from our house. So we'll definitely be back.

Nope, you're thinking about the work that was going on at Goodfellas. It kind of looks like it takes up two spaces from the front, but it's actually one restaurant/bar.

They've been working on it for a while, and the front looks incredible. I think the outside may be completed, and now they are working on the interior.

Nope, nhughes. The work I saw going on in early April was directly next door to BIG DADDY's bar and not at GOODFELLOW's whose two buildings are next to that -- thought I saw workment in there, too! Anyway, Washington had told me last October that he planned an Italian-themed restaurant adjacent to his very large and somewhat confusing layout, but I'm sure plans have changed since last fall. From what you are telling us, the north side of Main between 17th and 18th (at least the eastern end of it) is booming with activity. Is the big urban club still operating in that block? And what's with old River City Diner?

Just got back from our first trip to Northside Grille. First time I've seen folks hanging out on the Bellevue Avenue sidewalk! In fact, there was a 45-minute wait when we arrived around 7 PM. But my husband and I were able to grab a spot at the bar immediately, so we ate there. The food was okay, but nothing great. It's mostly a bar food menu (sandwiches, wraps, and so forth), with a handful of entrees.

We stuck to sandwiches this time. My husband had the buffalo chicken sandwich with the pasta salad. He mentioned that the pasta salad was good and the sandwich was nice and spicy. I had the crabcake sandwich, which was good as well. Lots of crab in there! It was served with mustard, which I thought a bit odd. But the crabcake tasted just fine on its own. I had the potato salad on the side, which I probably won't order again -- way too much mayo.

Anyhow, all in all, an okay experience. Nothing to write home about. But, it is a very cool (non-smoking) space. And only a couple blocks from our house. So we'll definitely be back.

A neat report, Northsider. Thanks for your comments and I hope we'll be hearing lots more from you.

NORTHSIDE GRILL, despite its limited menu selections, is a great addition to the dining-out scene in Bellvue. And as pointed out in your review, it has started out with a bang from a popularity standpoint.

What is your opinion of BELLE ARTE, or dare I ask? :whistling:

I had the crabcake sandwich, which was good as well. Lots of crab in there! It was served with mustard, which I thought a bit odd. But the crabcake tasted just fine on its own. I had the potato salad on the side, which I probably won't order again -- way too much mayo.

When we went, I had the crabcake sandwich, too. I had the same overall impression, and I enjoyed the mustard (I think it had some horseradish in there, or maybe I was just wishing for it so hard that my mind was playing tricks on me).

My fiance had the french dip. She shared a bite with me, and it was incredible. :)

Whoever would have thought that Louisa-ites would be exchanging thanks and "good days" in Portugese? Well, at least they're learning to say it when referring to the three-and-a-half star restaurant on the tiny town's main street. The place is called OBRIGADO and Dana Craig likes it a lot. Here's her review:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...06-28-0031.html

Sounds like it's well worth the 40-mile drive.

Tab for two: $69.

Edited by burt

It doesn't have a fixed sign on the building, rather a sign they put out on the sidewalk everyday. It's on 15th street situated between Buffalo Wild Wings and Stool Pigeons (it's in the same building as the two, Canal Crossing).

Hahaha. Richmond seems to be adopting the trend in New York NOT to put the name of your restaurant on the front of your building. I suppose it's considered chic, but it drives me up the wall.

Edited by burt

This sounds encouraging. I think they have a long way to go before people think of the Boulevard as a dining destination, but it's got to start somewhere, right? There was also a big article in this month's Richmond Magazine about how Scott's Addition aims to become the next Cary Town. I have to admit that this is the first time I've ever heard the term "Scott's Addition."

"If all goes as planned, the Strong Hill Dining Co. will soon join the short but growing list of restaurants on the Boulevard. River City Tattoo owner Jessika Weaver and husband Rob are hoping to have the new upscale Southern eatery open by the end of 2007.

In a complementary contrast to the historical neighborhood's blue-collar industrial roots, Jessika said Strong Hill Dining Co. will be a higher-end restaurant, featuring top shelf Southern cuisine.

"We want to reach people that aren't getting reached already for this area," said the body-piercing maven. "Just having more food in this area will do that but we are looking for a little bit of a different demographic that what currently have here."

Link: Strong Hill Dining (fixed)

Edited by jbjust

A neat report, Northsider. Thanks for your comments and I hope we'll be hearing lots more from you.

NORTHSIDE GRILL, despite its limited menu selections, is a great addition to the dining-out scene in Bellvue. And as pointed out in your review, it has started out with a bang from a popularity standpoint.

What is your opinion of BELLE ARTE, or dare I ask? :whistling:

I had one of my worst dining experiences in Richmond at Bella Arte a couple years back. Won't go into details, but I certainly don't plan on going back -- unless I hear that some major changes have taken place there. Despite the 45-minute wait at Northside Grille the other night, Bella Arte was empty. Which didn't surprise me!

This sounds encouraging. I think they have a long way to go before people think of the Boulevard as a dining destination, but it's got to start somewhere, right? There was also a big article in this month's Richmond Magazine about how Scott's Addition aims to become the next Cary Town. I have to admit that this is the first time I've ever heard the term "Scott's Addition."

"If all goes as planned, the Strong Hill Dining Co. will soon join the short but growing list of restaurants on the Boulevard. River City Tattoo owner Jessika Weaver and husband Rob are hoping to have the new upscale Southern eatery open by the end of 2007.

In a complementary contrast to the historical neighborhood's blue-collar industrial roots, Jessika said Strong Hill Dining Co. will be a higher-end restaurant, featuring top shelf Southern cuisine.

"We want to reach people that aren't getting reached already for this area," said the body-piercing maven. "Just having more food in this area will do that but we are looking for a little bit of a different demographic that what currently have here."

Link: Strong Hill Dining Co.

Thanks for the link, jbjust. Strong Hill has been discussed earlier on this thread and I'm looking forward to the restaurant's opening.

It is a fore paw in the reclamation of North Boulevard. Bowtie's cinema complex in the old locomotive building at the corner of Leigh Street is supposed to be a catalyst for investment in the area. Whether or not any activity is going on there at "Boulevard Square" is unknown to me. Has anyone noticed any shovels in the ground?

All of the talk of sports stadia and ancillary development at the Diamond site has been conspiciously mute of late, but there is no question forward movement is beginning to manifest itself along the North Boulevard corridor as well as in Scott's Addition. The success of KITCHEN 64 in attracting large crowds is a prime example.

Edited by burt

I had one of my worst dining experiences in Richmond at Bella Arte a couple years back. Won't go into details, but I certainly don't plan on going back -- unless I hear that some major changes have taken place there. Despite the 45-minute wait at Northside Grille the other night, Bella Arte was empty. Which didn't surprise me!

:rolleyes: . No surprise here, either.

I can never get any respect from Burt. ;)

:blush: I was hoping I could correct it before you came back to the site, but you're too swift.

For those who are wondering, I credited jbjust's comments above to journi.

PS: The Strong Hill link isn't working!

Edited by burt

I fixed the Strong Hill link in the original post.

Thanks, journi ---- OOOOOPS ------ jbjust! :lol:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original has been fixed, but the second one isn't. Anyway, thanks, jb.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm surprised the Ric dot com story didn't mention the upcoming ICE BAR in Scott's Addition.

Edited by burt

By the way, 8 of us went over to BlackFinn for lunch today and was told that it would be at least a 1/2 hour wait, even if we were willing to split into two tables of 4. Every bit of that place was packed, even the bar. I'm told the food is still not quite ready for prime time, though.

By the way, 8 of us went over to BlackFinn for lunch today and was told that it would be at least a 1/2 hour wait, even if we were willing to split into two tables of 4. Every bit of that place was packed, even the bar. I'm told the food is still not quite ready for prime time, though.

I have to admit to being amazed that BLACKFINN appears to be doing so well. After years of vacant space at the base of the buildings at ROTJ as well as the ABC application on the Power Plant door since last October, I took it as an omen that the area was jinxed.

Sad to hear that McAllisters called it quits, but you have to hand it to them for pioneering the Haxall Canal front when no one else would.

Here's hoping the other vacant spaces with great river views on the first level of the residential building get some tenants as well as the Power Plant and the now vacant McAllisters.

Just a reprint of the important part of a posting I saw on Craigslist.org, which was a review of Zed Cafe:

>>>

So, my wife talked me into going to Zed Cafe on Lakeside Ave. after several weeks of dropping hints. I always turned it down because, well, I wrote off the whole deal as some hippy crap. A mediocre reveiw in Style Weekly from when they first opened didn't help, either. Now, I'm a little bit of a foodie and enjoy all types of cuisine, but somehow I had the impression in my head that this place was going to be "cuisine nouveau" (elaborately presented bite sized portions). However, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by one of the best meals I've had in Richmond in 6 years of living here.

Beer selection was good for my tastes. They had my one of my favorites, Dogfish Head 60 Minute, but were out of it. I settled on a Bluegrass IPA which was just as good. The wife had some organic lager which was also good. They had lots of wine, but I didn't pay that much attention because, well, I like beer, dammit.

Our appetizer looked just too bizarre for me to not try it: tempura fried squash blossoms stuffed with scallop mousse over some tiny beets covered with coconut-lime sauce. I really didn't have the highest expectations, but was very pleasantly surprised with a well balanced dish that featured ingredients I would never have thought to put together.

My entree was halibut with tomatoes, capers, and fresh herbs in basil brown butter over whipped potatoes. My god, that was the best seafood dish I've had in years, up there with fresh tuna in Hawaii and bay scallops in San Francisco. Everything was really well balanced and very flavorful and I quite literally cleaned the plate. My wife had some shrimp with angelhair pasta which was good, but not quite as good as my halibut.

Dessert was some kind of lemon foam with berry compote and a sugar cookie which, again, left me and the wife battling spoons to get the last bit of sauce. I thought it might have a weird texture, but I was wrong.

I usually don't gush about restaurants, but I would like to see this one stay in business since it is really original and only a few blocks from my house. Not to mention, I find it admirable that they use predominantly locally grown ingredients. I like the idea that my food didn't spend weeks on a boat to be followed by days on a truck. Anyway, if you're a foodie or an adventurous eater, I highly recommend checking it out.

Signed-

An adventurous eater in Lakeside

>>>

I've been meaning to get by there, so that will have to be one of the next places to try.