Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Venture Richmond has just advised by one of its colorful e-mail announcements that BLACKFINN will have its Grand Opening Friday, June 15th.

The fancy new restaurant/bar at the base of the Troutman Sanders Law Building at 1001 Haxall Point at Riverside on the James also will have outdoor tables. Tel. 804/643-3466. A limited number of tickets are available for the Grand Opening festivities. Contact and sign up at their website, http://www.blackfinnrichmond.com.

They're doing a good job advertising about it, too! I've seen 3 of their commercials in the past hour. :lol:

According to the website the first night will be Friday the 15th.

I kinda think the Capital Ale House Music Hall is already open -- at least their entertainment calendar lists something as having played there on June 1st and lots of other events coming up as well -- unless I'm misreading things.

But the web site does say they will kick off their Friday After Work Brews & Blues on June 15th.

http://www.capitalalehouse.com

I wish I could see pictures of its interior. It sounds like a similar venue to Toads and the Nat, but I'm sure it has to be much smaller.

Toads was supposed to open with Carbon Leaf tonight, but their concert was postponed 'til June 22nd. Squirrel's Nuts will be the first concert on June 21st.

BLACKFINN, as noted above, also has its Grand Opening Friday, June 15th.

Edited by burt

Burt, unless they were having concerts while contractors were still finishing the space, I highly doubt that it's already open. I've walked by literally more than 5 times in the past week and I'm pretty confident that as late as today the space isn't finished yet. They could be pulling an all-nighter though to get ready for tomorrow.

I kinda think the Capital Ale House Music Hall is already open -- at least their entertainment calendar lists something as having played there on June 1st and lots of other events coming up as well -- unless I'm misreading things.

But the web site does say they will kick off their Friday After Work Brews & Blues on June 15th.

http://www.capitalalehouse.com

I wish I could see pictures of its interior. It sounds like a similar venue to Toads and the Nat, but I'm sure it has to be much smaller.

Toads was supposed to open with Carbon Leaf tonight, but their concert was postponed 'til June 22nd. Squirrel's Nuts will be the first concert on June 21st.

BLACKFINN, as noted above, also has its Grand Opening Friday, June 15th.

I'll see what I can, I know the owners personally and have already had a tour or two. I just dont know if they want to show off the space yet... so pictures might not happen tonight when I go. The space will be intimate. The actual stage is located on the entrance level, and the interior is similar to the already existing restuarant, just with open space looking onto the stage. The original plan was to be open by the 1st, but the city drug its feet on a water line permit, delaying the certificate of occupancy... In the back they have added a patio or 'beer garden' which will be a pretty nice place to go and eat outside. Plus all the other sundry restrooms and kitchens, etc are pretty much done.

Hope that helps!

In recent dining news on the Aaron front, I had Mamma Zu food three times this week. Had the rockfish on friday night, and it was the first time I"ve ever finished an entire meal there. Also tried their zuppa di pesce and veal marsala. Both delicious. Saturday I order two red and two white pizzas. Delicious huh?

Well today I went to the Crossroads Coffeehouse with a friend, and I saw that one of their house coffees was.... Mamma Zu blend (?!)... their darkest roast. WHat the heck?

Does anyone else's life oddly revolve around the Richmond dining scene in a strange, latent way?

bugsy, I guess Richmond is in the July number of Food and Wine. I bought the latest one they had across the street at Hudson News in the Port Authority Terminal and it is the June issue featuring Burlington, Portland and Providence in New England.

I'll get the July issue when I can. Meanwhile I'm enjoying reading about those Yankee cities.

The year-long coverage "Across America" in the magazine only encompasses 13 cities, so I hope Richmond restaurant reviews are positive.

I've got a scan of the article, but I don't think the rules allow it to be posted. Good article, though. Mentions Can-Can, Dogwood Grille, and Acacia among others.

:whistling: At least two of which are favorites of mr and mrs bugsy. Could it be that bugsy is a "scout" for Food and Wine? Or maybe it's just knowing goodness when you eat it? :shades:

burt, being a scout for food and wine would be a dream job. i've got a good one (i'm in the wine biz) but not as good as a food scout. we did eat at Dogwood on saturday past and it was again spot on. i didn't bother to post since it wasn't that long from the last. we're heading to juleps this week end and we haven't been for a while, so i'll report in. it will be our last dining out as residents of Richmond. we're moving full time to Taos, NM. i'll still travel back here on biz,so keep eatin' and reportin' so i know where to go on my return visits. best to all, john and sarah (aka mr and mrs bugsy)

burt, being a scout for food and wine would be a dream job. i've got a good one (i'm in the wine biz) but not as good as a food scout. we did eat at Dogwood on saturday past and it was again spot on. i didn't bother to post since it wasn't that long from the last. we're heading to juleps this week end and we haven't been for a while, so i'll report in. it will be our last dining out as residents of Richmond. we're moving full time to Taos, NM. i'll still travel back here on biz,so keep eatin' and reportin' so i know where to go on my return visits. best to all, john and sarah (aka mr and mrs bugsy)

You and the mrs will be sorely missed on these pages, bugsy.

Taos is not a bad selection for full time living, but keep in touch john and sarah.

Burt, unless they were having concerts while contractors were still finishing the space, I highly doubt that it's already open. I've walked by literally more than 5 times in the past week and I'm pretty confident that as late as today the space isn't finished yet. They could be pulling an all-nighter though to get ready for tomorrow.

Capital Ale House's Downtown Music Hall will open this Friday. It didn't look finished at all last week, but they also were delayed due to interruptions in city inspections caused by City Hall's watery mess last week. "80% chance" that this Friday will be a green light.

Singin' the Brews - Capital Ale House to open 250-seat concert hall

Also:

downtown music hall website

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Capital Ale House's Downtown Music Hall will open this Friday. It didn't look finished at all last week, but they also were delayed due to interruptions in city inspections caused by City Hall's watery mess last week. "80% chance" that this Friday will be a green light.

Singin' the Brews - Capital Ale House to open 250-seat concert hall

Also:

downtown music hall website

Those interruptions were caused by the water line that held up Capital originally... in the course of construction the 'workers' cracked another line, which isnt hard to believe in this city. They have now torn up the entire sidewalk in front of the Capital and the new section. HUGE MESS. Friday is still a go supposedly. Let me tell you, the owners are up in arms...

Deveron's Style Magazine column today is about Food and Wine's coverage of several Richmond dining spots, but she added nothing that CommRE and bugsy have not told us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don Baker's review in today's Style is a total surprise to me and I'm surprised some of you hip youngsters haven't talked about it. The place is called MARSHALL STREET CAFE at 22 West Marshall (corner of Adams Street across from Emerick Flats), tel. 804/497-8386. Still another locally owned bistro in the Gallery District that played to full houses on the most recent First Friday.

Baker calls it the "prettiest new restaurant in town" and has nice things to say about the eclectic menu -- from mounds of meat load for twelve bucks to steak at $22, and everything tastefully prepared and served.

Jackson Ward is bustin' out all over with restaurants. There's ANNIEBLLE's, HIDDEN TREASURE, CROAKER's SPOT and now the newest one, MARSHALL STREET CAFE.

PS: Some of them are open 'til one am and offer jazz on weekends.

Edited by burt

With CAPITAL ALE HOUSE MUSIC HALL's capacity of 250; CANAL CLUB with tops of 700; ALLEY KATZ at 400 to 500; TOADS with 1400 and the upcoming NAT holding 1500, I would say downtown Richmond's music scene is about at the saturation point.

And in addition to the above there are places like MCCORMICKS on 18th Street; HAVE A NICE DAY in the old Flood Zone (capacity 700); TIKI BOB's just up 18th; POE's PUB at the foot of Church Hill; THE CAMEL in 1600 block of West Broad; whatever is now in the former Cafein's and the COTTON CLUB. And oh! let's not forget BIG DADDIES on Main in The Bottom and the upcoming Dueling Pianos bar on 17th, plus RICHBRAU; TOBACCO COMPANY CLUB, and SINE in The Slip; BLACKFINN at ROTJ -- well the list just goes on and on.

Edited by burt

Please excuse the above blank space. I was trying to post Dana Craig's review of a new restaurant called THE FONDUE FANATIC in Bellgrade Shopping Center at 11400 Huguenot Road, tel. 804/423-6783. Something went seriously wrong and it froze, so I won't try to post the review again. Suffice it to say Dana finds the new fondue restaurant to her liking and awards it 3 stars.

Tab for two: $72

Dana's review has the restaurant's web site. http://www.fonduefanatic.com

Dogwood has been sold. I don't know if it will remain Dogwood, but the owner/chef has sold it. Too bad 'cause it was some good eatin'.

And just after nice comments from Food & Wine Magazine as well as good reports by bugsy and others.

Perhaps new ownership does not mean kitchen changes.

Edited by burt

With CAPITAL ALE HOUSE MUSIC HALL's capacity of 250; CANAL CLUB with tops of 700; ALLEY KATZ at 400 to 500; TOADS with 1400 and the upcoming NAT holding 1500, I would say downtown Richmond's music scene is about at the saturation point.

And in addition to the above there are places like MCCORMICKS on 18th Street; HAVE A NICE DAY in the old Flood Zone (capacity 700); TIKI BOB's just up 18th; POE's PUB at the foot of Church Hill; THE CAMEL in 1600 block of West Broad; whatever is now in the former Cafein's and the COTTON CLUB. And oh! let's not forget BIG DADDIES on Main in The Bottom and the upcoming Dueling Pianos bar on 17th, plus RICHBRAU; TOBACCO COMPANY CLUB, and SINE in The Slip; BLACKFINN at ROTJ -- well the list just goes on and on.

Unfortuantely, there is still nothing nearly as great as the Nanci Raygun was for the music community. The Hyperlink Cafe, Gallery 5, and house shows have tried to help fill this niche in the scene, but with nowhere near the success. It's such a shame. It's been 10 months since it shut its doors, and has no signs of reopening... not even with a new name.

It might have had great punk rock but I have heard that Nanci Raygun was a pretty gross place from a standpoint of cleanliness. Did anyone ever really eat there?

I did look into Hyperlink one day and it looked pretty dismal as well. Don't the people who run these places have any interest in amenities?

Edited by burt

It might have had great punk rock but I have heard that Nanci Raygun was a pretty gross place from a standpoint of cleanliness. Did anyone ever really eat there?

I did look into Hyperlink one day and it looked pretty dismal as well. Don't the people who run these places have any interest in amenities?

I explicitly remember sitting against the wall at a show at the Nanci Raygun, and just relaxing there... me and about 30 cockroaches. It was pretty gross, but it could churn out some decent vegan food. It was pretty much a hipster hangout like many West Grace places, but the priority seemed to just be in staying financially aloft instead of amenities.