Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

You know, I never usually comment on this thread, but news of this ice bar coming to Richmod is really cool (excuse the pun). "The first ice bar on the east coast" the web site says! Now this is helping make Richmond a place to be! I love it! I've got to check it out the next time I'm in town!

Edited by eandslee

You know, I never usually comment on this thread, but news of this ice bar coming to Richmod is really cool (excuse the pun). "The first ice bar on the east coast" the web site says! Now this is helping make Richmond a place to be! I love it! I've got to check it out the next time I'm in town!

Just bring your usual long johns and winter attire from Montana, Eric. :lol:

Must admit, I wasn't expecting Richmond's new Ice Bar to be anything like this. I thought they meant another bar with an ice strip to keep brews cool like Capital Ale House has.

Edited by burt

Maybe they'll have a tie-in with Grey Goose if they need a Vodka sponsor.

Sounds like a fun place that would attract more twenty-somethings than the 30's/40's set. Imagine going to a rock show at one of the downtown halls then driving west for a cool nip and a twirl around the dance floor at INFUSION.

Richmond is just getting too-too chic! :yahoo:

Dana's right when she says that German food is hard to find in Richmond. In fact, there's so little demand that the one restaurant offering it covers its behind by splitting the menu between German and Italian offerings.

In agreement with Ms Craig, I found ACAPPELLA at 2300 East Broad, tel. 804/377-1963, to be an inviting, rustically charming outpost for brats and sauerkraut among other unpronounceable Bavarian delights.

Situated in a historic pair of houses at 23rd and Broad atop Church Hill, ACAPPELLA has two P's and two L's as well as two dining rooms, garden and a thriving rathskeller down below.

http://www.acappellaonthehill.com.

Three stars.

Tab for two: $83.

Edited by burt

Thanks Burt... when most people go out for dinner (including myself), they probably don't say, "Man I could really go for some German food!" Not that it is bad or anything, you just don't think about it. Craig's tabs always seem to be higher than what my tabs end up being, so if its less than $80 for two, I wouldn't mind checking it out. Can't go wrong with a good brat!

Ah, Acappella is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, HILL CAFE used to be one of my favorites as well, but not after last Sat night. My wife and I went there just before dark to grab a bite to eat before watching the fireworks. Well, we walked in and almost fell over from the stench. It smelled like the basement of a frat house after a long weekend. Stale beer and yeast were the predominant odors. Since we didn't have much time, we stuck it out. But after having our orders mixed up and slow to arrive (causing us to miss most of the fireworks), I wish we had just left after arriving.

I know all places have their off nights - but this was WAY off! I'll probably give them one more chance sometime in the future...

Edited by CommRE

Thanks Burt... when most people go out for dinner (including myself), they probably don't say, "Man I could really go for some German food!" Not that it is bad or anything, you just don't think about it. Craig's tabs always seem to be higher than what my tabs end up being, so if its less than $80 for two, I wouldn't mind checking it out. Can't go wrong with a good brat!

Remember, Dana and her parties enjoy a few nips in addition to a bottle of wine or so. When I was there our check for two, including beer, was about $50, if I recall. You don't have to get cocktails, wine, appetizers, entrees AND dessert. ;)

New interesting article on Richmond.com about the staff's favorite dishes from Richmond restaurants. I find it odd how many times Sticky Rice appears on people's lists considering the negative reports I've heard from friends.

Glad to see that some folks share my favorites like Kuba Kuba and Mamma Zu.

http://www.richmond.com/dining/output.aspx...&position=3

Aaron, did you see my lead about the tea room at the former World Cup on Morris Street? I least I think its the former World Cup. Interested in your comments.

Oh, yeah, I saw the article, burt,... it' seems pretty odd that they would state that they want to directly compete with the classic Richmond five-diamond tea room at The Jefferson!

But, remember, the old World Cup is now Crossroads Coffee which actually just had its grand opening Wednesday or Thursday. It didn't seem to be in full-service though

On a side note, tonight I 'dined' at the vegan hipster classic, Panda Veg, on West Grace Street. I've been there MANY times before and am fairly aware of its declining and inconsistent quality of the food.... but tonight was inexcusably HORRIBLE. I've honestly NOT had a meal this crappy in ages. We asked for extra spicy 'mock orange chicken'... something I've thoroughly enjoyed in the past. It came completely unspicy, and the mock meat was tougher than frozen beef jerky. I would have loved to have sent it back to the kitchen, but I doubt that it would hvae mattered considering that Panda Veg has declined to a decrepit state since they know they'll always get business from college kids and "hipsters" anyway. I mean, the 'orange' sauce probably consists of ketchup and a mixture of artificial flavorings.

Should have walked a few paces on the next block and gone to Edo's Squid.

acacia...last week they had one of their "mini" wine dinners...not sure why they use the term mini. but you should all sign up with them to receive their e-mails on these special dinners. 1st course was cold asparagus soup,followed by a duck confit/watermelon salad and then the main course was a duo of soft shells over homemade fettucinni with corn and peas. what a great way to celebrate spring! the dinner included a small glass (perhaps this is the mini part) of wine with each course. the price before tax and tip was $32/person. wow! if there is a better bargain in Richmond for fine dining, please let me know!

Thanks again bugsy for your comments on local restaurants.

ACACIA has gained National recognition for its chef.

The restaurant at 3325 West Cary is on the second level of a converted church in Carytown. I've had lunch on it sweeping patio and it was excellent.

I hear that KITCHEN 64 on North Boulevard is doing quite well -- and that when full, it can be noisy.

Yes, I've heard they've been quite busy, and sadly, I've also heard they've been doing a poor job of handling it. While I have not been personally (although I am quite eager to go), I have heard more bad stories than good from friends who have gone. Granted, any new restaurant needs time to get going, but it seems a bit surprising that the owners (who are very experienced, also owning Sidewalk Cafe, Kuba Kuba and 3 Monkeys) wouldn't have expected the rush. People have been anticipating its opening for months.

I'm not quite sure what direction the menu is going in. It seems like a confused cross between a breakfast-lunch-dinner diner and something more like Avalon. Can anyone else offer their experience?

This week in Style Deveron highlights the confusion that sometimes reigns over restaurant names and/or ownership.

THE RANCH at 1600 Brook Road near the Main Post Office is once again THE RANCH after a short spell as Paul's Southern Cooking. It was revived by Michael Gooding's son, Chris, who is once again offering full breakfast plates, Ribs, fish and cornbread on weekdays for breakfast and lunch.

I thought LA PETITE FRANCE at 2108 Maywill Street was still being run by Madam Nguyn (sp?) formerly of Indochine in Carytown. She and her family took it over after the retirement of Paul Elbling.

But Deveron tells us that David Hughes, former owner of GRAFITI GRILLE in Ridge Road Shopping Center, is now running the kitchen at LA PETITE FRANCE. New owners, Karol and Tamara Gajda, are retaining the French sauces as well as the presentation and decor of founder Elbling.

One big change is that smoking is no longer allowed.

Jackson Ward's restaurant growth is raising eyebrows. CROAKER's SPOT at 2nd and Leigh is the popular leader of an increasingly dense dining scene. Others are TROPICAL SOUL & SEAFOOD at the corner of 2nd and Marshall; the brand new ANNIBELL's CHICKEN & WAFFLES on 1st between Marshall and Clay; the former Dose next to the Hipp on 2nd which once again is offering light foods, and I believe there's another spot across from Tropical Soul at the s/w corner of 2nd and Marshall.

The latest entry is HIDDEN TREASURE RESTAURANT at 219 East Clay (between 2nd and 3rd Streets), tel. 804/225-9048.

According to Joseph Cates in this week's Style, HIDDEN TREASURE doesn't quite measure up to its boast of "fine dining", but does have some delectibles coming out of its modest kitchen. Home made potato salad is "roll-your-eyes good" says Cates. As with many Jackson Ward eating places, deep fried and otherwise fried offerings are prominent on the menu, even to pears in a "roasted pear and pecan salad." . Lunchtime offers juicy roast beef on fresh-baked sub rolls with horseradish aioli for only $5.95. Crab bisque is a favorite of regulars.

HIDDEN TREASURE is open for lunch and dinner Mondays thru Saturdays and for brunch from noon to 5PM on Sundays.

Venture Richmond has just advised by one of its colorful e-mail announcements that BLACKFINN will have its Grand Opening Friday, June 15th.

The fancy new restaurant/bar at the base of the Troutman Sanders Law Building at 1001 Haxall Point at Riverside on the James also will have outdoor tables. Tel. 804/643-3466. A limited number of tickets are available for the Grand Opening festivities. Contact and sign up at their website, http://www.blackfinnrichmond.com.

Dana Craig visits CAPITAL ALE HOUSE -- that is, the suburban one at 4024-A Cox Road at Insbrook, tel. 804/780-2537. The review also has a slideshow of the western location (one is coming to Midlothian also).

Dana ranks it at two stars.

Tab for two: $94.

Good news from the report is that the downtown location is set to start its Friday After Work Brews & Blues tomorrow night at the downtown restaurant's MUSIC HALL! :yahoo::alc:

Here's the review with slideshow:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...06-07-0021.html

Edited by burt