Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Oh, and as for 3rd Street Diner...yes, it has been closed for a couple of months, and they are doing a full renovation of the place. You should stop by and peer in the windows to see what's been done already -- it looks nice. They have moved the kitchen into the back, and have put in wood finishes throughout.

From what I understand, it will be a much nicer place, getting away from its diner roots.

Does anyone know what's going on with the NORTHSIDE GRILL (?) on Bellevue, near Belle Arte?

I've heard rumors about a restaurant by that name opening for months, but last I heard there were building permits posted but no real progress. Just curious. I have no idea what type of food, etc. but it'd be great to have another restaurant in Northside.

Speaking of progress, it looks like KITCHEN 64 on Boulevard in what used to Zippy Baba's is coming along nicely. I heard it was supposed to open in November, but that obviously wasn't the case. A nice outdoor patio has been built and it looks like the interior is well underway.

Does anyone know what's going on with the NORTHSIDE GRILL (?) on Bellevue, near Belle Arte?

I've heard rumors about a restaurant by that name opening for months, but last I heard there were building permits posted but no real progress. Just curious. I have no idea what type of food, etc. but it'd be great to have another restaurant in Northside.

Speaking of progress, it looks like KITCHEN 64 on Boulevard in what used to Zippy Baba's is coming along nicely. I heard it was supposed to open in November, but that obviously wasn't the case. A nice outdoor patio has been built and it looks like the interior is well underway.

Northside Grill is coming along. I hear something about it second-hand every once in a while. The last I heard was a couple of weeks ago, and things were moving. I don't know what the time table is looking like, but I can say that it's still in the works.

Had dinner at a full TOBACCO COMPANY last weekend. We started off with an order of coconut shrimp, which came with 3 dipping sauces: cocktail, honey mustard, and strawberry horseradish. I enjoyed it in the 2 latter dipping sauces. For an entree, I had the steak oscar, which had tender filet medallions covered in lump crab meat and a hollandaise sauce, with asparagus and mashed potatoes. Very good, though my steak was a little undercooked.

For dessert, we all split this big brownie/ice cream concoction which went down nicely with a cup of coffee.

They also have Legend's on tap, which is a plus :thumbsup:

Had dinner at a full TOBACCO COMPANY last weekend. We started off with an order of coconut shrimp, which came with 3 dipping sauces: cocktail, honey mustard, and strawberry horseradish. I enjoyed it in the 2 latter dipping sauces. For an entree, I had the steak oscar, which had tender filet medallions covered in lump crab meat and a hollandaise sauce, with asparagus and mashed potatoes. Very good, though my steak was a little undercooked.

For dessert, we all split this big brownie/ice cream concoction which went down nicely with a cup of coffee.

They also have Legend's on tap, which is a plus :thumbsup:

Nothing like a local brew!

I've heard that Tobacco Company isn't nearly as good was it was about a decade ago. Confirm/deny anyone?

THE LUCKY BUDHA apparently is not its own lucky charm. The Frog and the Redneck called the location home and frequently filled the house. Lucky Lounge flourished briefly -- very briefly -- but its new incarnation needs some TLC.

Read Style's review below:

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=13881

Edited by burt

Dana Craig donned her gingham and boots and rode toward the sunset to try out a relatively new Bar-B-Que. COUNTY RIB & ALE HOUSE is at 11045 Hull Street Road in Victorian Square, tel. 804/675-4447.

Dana writes: "You could loosely think of COUNTY RIB & ALE as Capital Ale House's cousin twice removed -- a little less worldly, a little more laid back. It's small menu consists of basic barbecue (pulled pork, chicken, smoked sausage, brisket and ribs) and plenty of brew."

Dana rates it at two and half stars.

Tab for two: $70.

Here's Dana's review of the lively spot:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...mesdispatch.com

Edited by burt

Frankly, I think it's rather odd that Style doesn't list the "chains" at either of the major shopping centers.

For everyone who detests them, a larger number flocks to them. And like it or not, Cheescake Factory, P F Changs, etc. do add a certain panache to a Metro's reputation.

How's the relocation effort coming? Richmond's got plenty of non-chain restaurants to choose from.

Well, it's going to take a little longer than I'd like. I will only be able to move with a job offer. Although, I do want to attend UR or VCU, I want to reestablish my residency before applying. I anticipate a Fall '07 move but I expect to make several trips before then for interviews and hunting for living quarters.

Nevertheless, I cannot wait to join the city. I'm sure the area (HR included) is different from the last time I was there a few years ago.

Frankly, I think it's rather odd that Style doesn't list the "chains" at either of the major shopping centers.

For everyone who detests them, a larger number flocks to them. And like it or not, Cheescake Factory, P F Changs, etc. do add a certain panache to a Metro's reputation.

To me, it adds a certain level of respect to Style. They have it b uilt so that it's generally based on retaurants that are completely Richmond locations... although Old Original Bookbinders isn't actually the Old Original, eh? :dontknow:

To me, it adds a certain level of respect to Style. They have it b uilt so that it's generally based on retaurants that are completely Richmond locations...

That's the way I feel about it. People who want to eat at chain restaurants know how to find them. PF Changs is PF Changs- look it up in the phone book.

I dunno if chains really do all that much besides give out of towners, who aren't brave enough to try something one of a kind, a familiar place to eat.

I visited strawberry st. cafe on presidents day. we had the brachetta pizza as an appetizer--it was really good! some of the tomato pieces were a bit larger than I prefer, but the flavor wasn't too tomato-ey. My friend got the chicken pot pie with mac 'n cheese. The pot pie looked amazing (I'm told it tasted grrreat)--the crust was thick and appeared homemade ,as advertised, and the inside was the the correct consistency. It was almost an extremely thick soup with a fair amount of white chicken and various vegetables. The mac 'n cheese was very cheesy--and it was definitely real cheese.

I had the chicken and dumplings, which is served in a bread bowl. It was very tasty with good-size portions of white chicken. The dumplings were the perfect size--just right for eating. usually I've found them to be so small they're more like small carrots. haha.

it was a great lunch with very attentive service :)

After that we headed to Can Can for coffee. I'll just say we ended up getting what we ordered for free (the service and the produced were abysmal. haha). On the second try of delivering a chai latte and a mocha, everything was perfect. I think we hit them at a bad time with our first order, and I also believe it was this girl's first day...I've been to Can Can several times now and they've always been extremely professional (and the food has been great!). Might I add, did they get rid of their opening windows? I was sitting in the Cafe and I noticed the windows were no longer on tracks. My friend said they replaced the original windows a good while ago, but I guess I had just never noticed.

Edited by jasonb

Agreeing with the above comments. Giant, nationwide chains have the advantage over locally run businesses because they can offord giant, nationwide ad campaigns. I don't recall ever seeing a TV ad for 3 Monkees or Sumo San. I'm glad a local publication promotes and takes pride in our variety of non-chain dining options.

Agreeing with the above comments. Giant, nationwide chains have the advantage over locally run businesses because they can offord giant, nationwide ad campaigns. I don't recall ever seeing a TV ad for 3 Monkees or Sumo San. I'm glad a local publication promotes and takes pride in our variety of non-chain dining options.

Well, I guess Style is to be commended for sticking to its guns. But I'm not aware of many comprehensive city area restaurant listings. Seems to me a publication that is available to visitors as well as locals would be an "equal opportunity" informant.

But the question is probably moot, anyhow. I'm told that Style rarely runs its list in hard copies.

Jason, I enjoyed reading of your experiences at STRAWBERRY STREET CAFE and CAN CAN on the same evening.

I, for one, like a mixture of white and dark meat in a chicken pot pie.

I think I read something about the tracked windows at CAN CAN in the past few months. They were installed before city permits were obtained and had to be removed -- or modified -- at a cost exceeding $100k.

Funny that you mention that -- I actually have seen a Bandito's television ad. (Not disagreeing with your point, because I agree.)

Yeah, they used to run Cabo's Corner Bistro ads on TV. But once again, I agree, because you're not going to see Edo's Squid on the highway exit signs for FOOD.

The most comprehensive list you'll find of restaurants in the region is certainly going to be the phonebook or online listings, but in terms of local places, Style is your best bet with Richmond.com coming in second.

Good review on Strawberry St. Cafe and Can Can.