Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

i just saw the article on TD regarding Uncle Julio's RIO GRANDE CAFE. I really liked that place. The price was a little high for a mexican restaurant where 2 can easily dine during dinner for under 15 bucks whereas, 2 for Rio would be 25? I especially enjoyed their margaritas with the patron. I hope they bring in something we don't have here. maybe a macaroni grill.

Give us a report on your evening at TEXAS DE BRAZIL.

Food was great , The salad would have been quite enough but we went all the way. Some notes to mention later on Sunday :yahoo: . Overall was a very nice evening! :yahoo:

Party of 5 , bill #312.00 plus tip

Great decor, Pleasing hosts, ( they are new and you can tell)

Waitstaff rather a bit scattered and messed up drink orders twice, plus coffee order couldn't get we needed 3 coffee's not 2.

The table of 5, I thought we were way to far in the up front area myself , We were seated at the entrance to the first Dining room on the left. Table was directly center in the door so that was a bit harsh, We crashed 2 waiters as we were getting up for the Salad area and the restroom. A bit too tight IMO.

The food.

Very nice extended Salad bar , This is not the ordinary bar bar. Spicy Crab Roll, Sushi style, Cured meats that were nicely displayed and tasted wonderful. Marinated olives, Several Nice greens for salads, A very nice custom drssing all thier own and 2 more popular one. Fresh Vegetable selections, Smoked Salmon ( YUM) Seared Tuna ( YUM YUM) and plenty more as well as Black Beans, Wonderful Rice and a Very Nice yet rich Lobster Bisque.

Ok so you start with drink and then Help yourself to the foods bar. When you are ready you flip this grren or red coaster over to the green side to signal your ready for the meat entree's .

That when the Goucho's start rolling in , And BOY do they. Roasted meats of all kinds, Chicken in Bacon, Seared Top Round, Flank steak that melted in your mouth, Filet Mignon, Lamb Chops Petite, Saddle of Lamb, Side of Turkey and plenty I just can;t remember. When you want to stop or slow down you flip the coaster to red. Each of the Party had one.

We ate, had a few beers and ate some more. Dessert was nice and the coffee hearty enough to compliment the Super sweets for dessert.

Burt, No they weren't full, as a matter of fact one room was never opened and we were there from 7pm till 9pm. They seemed to have plenty of servers available. I overheard the hostess on the phone while awaiting some of our group state that they were sold out for Saturday night, Perhaps they are just not ready for the full swing yet.

All in All a Very fine dinner. 5 star... not , but if the servers and goucho's resolve some of the heavy accents that they have

when they have to tall you repeatedly they sure could be.

For those that care, the decor and buildout is very nice and the Gas torches outside are a nice touch, bathrooms quite nice but not well kept well from start to finish.

Opps forgot the Valet Parking, Very nice Touch!!!

For the others I am really a critical guy on restaurants, I eat at shoney's and many local and other chains so I'm not thinking I'm a snob, I feel I say what I see and Feel.

Do Go to this one, I don't think you'll regret it, :yahoo:

Edited by jonbeattie

Although "bars" and "clubs" are mentioned in the subtitle of this thread, I seldom write about them. But it's because of age, not lack of interest.

Anyway, I take note of bar goings-on more than most of you may think.

For instance: There was some gun play involving security guards Friday night at a downtown spot, and thankfully, no one was injured.

I bring this up, because the spot involved was formerly a hot New York style club called CAFFEIN's that was closed down several years ago by the ABC board. After a long vacant period, the former bank building at the s/e corner of 4th and Grace opened under the name of THE MATRIX ROOM. It's latest incarnation is CLUB RUMOURS, and that is where Friday night's incident occurred.

Yesterday, a sign on the door said "the club was closed because of a default on the building's lease," according to a report in today's Times Dispatch.

If any of you have comments on Club life in the region, please share them in this space. :)

Edited by burt

I bring this up, because the spot involved was formerly a hot New York style club called CAFFEIN's that was closed down several years ago by the ABC board. After a long vacant period, the former bank building at the s/e corner of 4th and Grace opened under the name of THE MATRIX ROOM. It's latest incarnation is CLUB RUMOURS, and that is where Friday night's incident occurred.

Yesterday, a sign on the door said "the club was closed because of a default on the building's lease,"

That is a shame, There was also a shooting at a club near the new Texas Brazil, " The Velocity Room " last weekend, where one person was taken to the medical services. This club seems to be very popular and offers an over 30's night on Friday and from what I hear in the street some youngsters wanted in and got mad. What happened to going out to have fun? I don't remember taking a handgun along for the night out with friends. I realize life may be tougher but Come on.

Burt the club you mention, Caffein's, also was in recent carnation "The Cherry lounge" while the Matrix room but the crowd was rough enough that they moved on. BTW the DEA closed Caffeins, also known on Saturday nights as Boom ( A few years back) Strangly enough we have a cafe in the building that the gentleman worked his fulltime job. He was busted in the parking lot of the building and taken away. The club operators got into trouble since they knew he was selling his wares to the patrons.

I've not ever understood looking the other way and allowing someone else set the course of my business. Might as well leave the place open 24/7 so others can decide your fate.

Night life in the city is certainly brisk even though I feel that I need to look around after dark and be VERY aware.

I know we certainly add sercurity to our parties for that reason , They run off many deadbeats, Panhandler and vagabons to keep our guest happy and the downtown experiance as nice as possible.

When you say Texas Brazil, do you mean the VELOCITY ROOM is in Regency Square?

Thanks to NRA, Virginia's state legislature thinks it's OK to tote guns in restaurants.

If Cherry Lounge and The Mattrix Room (both in the former CAFFEIN's) attracted a rough crowd, apparently CLUB RUMOURS inherited the clientele. Anyway, from today's newspaper account, the building is now empty.

This is :offtopic: , but I repeat from another thread: As far as I have been able to verify, Richmond got thru the entire month of January with only two murders -- and I don't believe there have been any in the first 4 days of February.

Wouldn't it be a miracle if this murder-free pace continues?

When you say Texas Brazil, do you mean the VELOCITY ROOM is in Regency Square?

Thanks to NRA, Virginia's state legislature thinks it's OK to tote guns in restaurants.

If Cherry Lounge and The Mattrix Room (both in the former CAFFEIN's) attracted a rough crowd, apparently CLUB RUMOURS inherited the clientele. Anyway, from today's newspaper account, the building is now empty.

This is :offtopic: , but I repeat from another thread: As far as I have been able to verify, Richmond got thru the entire month of January with only two murders -- and I don't believe there have been any in the first 4 days of February.

Wouldn't it be a miracle if this murder-free pace continues?

The intersection of Parham Road and Quioccosin Road is where Regency Square is, on the opposite corner there is a Ramada inn that the Velocity Room Club is in. You an see each although they are aprrox a block from each other and a major Intersection.

I Think that would be great to be murder free for a bit....

Was there a full house?

Burt I edited the previous post with all the Tidbits from Texas De Brazil

Deverons's column in today's Style tells us about TASTEBUDS at 4023 MacArthur Avenue in the Belleview district.

Andrew Wisniewski is the chef at this catering and take-out spot. Responding to frequent requests, he has added a 10-seat dining area for the pleasure of non-smoking devotees at lunch and dinner. The menu changes frequently and includes Sicilian chicken, meat-loaf, fish and vegetable stew and shrimp quesadillas with chorizo. There is also a range of soups and appetizers.

Service is available Tuesdays thru Fridays beginning at 11:30 am. Call ahead for reservations and meal times at 804/261-6544. Remember: Wisniewski only has ten seats in TASTEBUDS, but take-out is always available as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deverons lists seven options for Valentine's Day celebrations: Call for their menus, prices and hours -- and DEFINITELY make reservations for this busy night wherever you plan to dine and cuddle.

Deveron's suggestions are:

CITY LIMITS, 7007 Three Chopt Road, tel. 804/282-4232.

LA PETITE FRANCE, 2912 Maywill Street, tel. 804/353-8729.

AVENUE 805, at that number on North Davis Avenue (between Grace and Broad), tel. 804/353-2505.

MANAKIN GRILL, 12912 Plaza Drive (in Goochland county, just north of Broad Street Road), tel. 804/784-0544.

CAFE GUTENBERG, 17th and Main in The Bottom, tel. 804/497-5000.

FUEL CO. in Charlottesville (Deveron did not provide an address), tel. 434/220-3700.

and, probably most interesting of all:

Valentine Richmond History Center provides a "love bus" starting with champagne and chocolates, whizzes you around downtown touring historic romantic tryst sites and culminates with dinner at RICHBRAU BREWING COMPANY (Cary at 13th Street) $100 per person or $190 per couple. Reservations must be made by Feb. 9th at 804/649-0711, ext. 301.

Edited by burt

I think Joseph Cates' report on POPKIN TAVERN printed in this week's Style is a bit picky. I don't think many go there expecting more than they get. It's not called "Tavern" for nothing! Cates acknowledges this premise, but gets a bit meticulous in appraising the food offerings.

I, for one, liked their over-sized chicken pot pie -- it can't match Boston Market's frozen version, but for less than twelve bucks it's enough to feed an army. Admittedly, I tried it back in October when the restaurant/bar was brand new. Maybe the receipe has changed.

Anyone exploring the exciting neighborhood along the Broad Street corridor between First and Belvidere has a number of excellent dining options from which to choose. But if they want to have fun, knock back a couple, shoot some pool, shmooze and nibble on perfectly ordinary bar snacks in an upbeat and attractive bar, then POPKIN TAVERN is the place.

I think Joseph Cates' report on POPKIN TAVERN printed in this week's Style is a bit picky. I don't think many go there expecting more than they get. It's not called "Tavern" for nothing! Cates acknowledges this premise, but gets a bit meticulous in appraising the food offerings.

I, for one, liked their over-sized chicken pot pie -- it can't match Boston Market's frozen version, but for less than twelve bucks it's enough to feed an army. Admittedly, I tried it back in October when the restaurant/bar was brand new. Maybe the receipe has changed.

Anyone exploring the exciting neighborhood along the Broad Street corridor between First and Belvidere has a number of excellent dining options from which to choose. But if they want to have fun, knock back a couple, shoot some pool, shmooze and nibble on perfectly ordinary bar snacks in an upbeat and attractive bar, then POPKIN TAVERN is the place.

We went to Popkin last Friday before hitting the art openings and the WRIR event, and had an excellent time. Beautiful facility, great tucked-away nooks, and we had the best seat in the house on the upper level overlooking the entire restaurant! We were disappointed with the cheese pizza, but the meatloaf I had was enough to feed two people (even if I did eat it all myself). The beer selection was nice, but not overwhelming.

As you said in your comment, we weren't expecting a gourmet cuisine. We were going for a look at the new spot, and we were much more impressed than we had expected. In fact, I think it would be a great place to get a group to go and hang out.

We went to Popkin last Friday before hitting the art openings and the WRIR event, and had an excellent time. Beautiful facility, great tucked-away nooks, and we had the best seat in the house on the upper level overlooking the entire restaurant! We were disappointed with the cheese pizza, but the meatloaf I had was enough to feed two people (even if I did eat it all myself). The beer selection was nice, but not overwhelming.

As you said in your comment, we weren't expecting a gourmet cuisine. We were going for a look at the new spot, and we were much more impressed than we had expected. In fact, I think it would be a great place to get a group to go and hang out.

Agreed, My boss and friend were there and seated in the same general area as you and it was wonderful. We've taken clients there often being on the other end of the block ( Where the WRIR affair was) and always been very happy!

Edited by jonbeattie

Dana has enhanced her review of Dd33 with a slide show. I hope taking ace photographer Alexa Edlund Welch along on restaurant evaluations is a trend at the Times Dispatch. :)

"Open only three months, Dd33 operates like a well-oiled machine. Not surprising when you learn it's the brainchild of David Du", reports Ms Craig.

Young David, scion of Richmond Restauranteur Dick Du, is a graduate of Johnson & Wales Cullinary Institute whose post graduate experience includes a turn at New York City's TAO on Madison at 58th.

Dana says Dd33 "...has all the attributes of a tony New york restaurant -- chic, smoke-free dining room festooned with gilded bamboo and cascading water sculptures, well-trained servers sporting Mohawks and sake expertise, and an Asian fusion menu rife with innovation and big prices."

One might think it would appeal more to downtown business execs and hip city residents than to suburbanites, but this touch of urbanity is amid the Shops at Twin Oaks near Innsbrook.

Dana waxes enthusiastic over most menu selections which run the gamut from exotic far Eastern to more familiar American tastes. But portions are small when price is considered, and desserts are not at all appealing, says Dana.

Dd33, 3601-A Cox Road, tel. 804/747-8333 rates 3 stars.

Tab for two: $144.

Edited by burt

Yes, nhughes, I've noticed that also. But I think they still run the full list about once a month.

They normally just feature their editor picks in the print version. The full version is accessible online.

DD33 seems like it'll be a sensational hit. And you know its fusion cusine when they serve teriyaki baby back ribs! :whistling:

one thing that always confuses me about restaurant reviews. When the reviewer goes to the restaurant, i assume they don't announce themselves. But bringing in a photographer, doesn't that give away the surprise? or did Dana just go back a second time with the restaurants knowledge to take pictures?