Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I don't think we should exclude suburban or city chains. Whether we like it or not, they are an important part of Richmond's dining attraction. Perhaps designating with a code such as C for chain and L for locally owned in a side box that would also indicate price range codes might be feasible. But in the long run, it just makes the job more difficult.

I don't think we should get too complicated or imitative of other listings. The simpler and cleaner the better, IMO.

Area listings I think are the best way to go.

More input from posters and lurkers, please. :)

Edited by burt

I like this idea a lot. How hard would it be to also include links to discussions of the respective restaurants on this thread, so that the commentary could be kept to a minimum on the restaurant list. I also think it would be best to divide the area into regions. As far as chains, if we include them, we have to figure out a way not to list every McDonalds in the greater Richmond Metro. I've discussed chains such as Maggiano's or Cheesecake factory, but what about 'common' chains such as Applebees or Chili's etc. Perhaps we can include chains on a case by case basis.

I don't think we should exclude suburban or city chains. Whether we like it or not, they are an important part of Richmond's dining attraction. Perhaps designating with a code such as C for chain and L for locally owned in a side box that would also indicate price range codes might be feasible. But in the long run, it just makes the job more difficult.

I don't think we should get too complicated or imitative of other listings. The simpler and cleaner the better, IMO.

Area listings I think are the best way to go.

More input from posters and lurkers, please. :)

I like the idea. In fact, I've often looked at the listings in Style and thought about volunteering to keep up the list there, just because the wrong listings just jump out at me.

I like to frequent the locally-owned establishments, but it gets complicated when it is a franchised operation instead of a corporate chain. For example, the Subways are all independently owned and operated, but the Famous Dave's are corporate-owned. Where to draw the line? Of course, I don't want to see the list dominated by 500 McDonald's or Olive Garden restaurants, either -- even if they are franchised and not corporate.

Of course, if it is a franchise and there is only one or two locations, then maybe that would be worth putting into the directory?

I like this idea a lot. How hard would it be to also include links to discussions of the respective restaurants on this thread, so that the commentary could be kept to a minimum on the restaurant list. I also think it would be best to divide the area into regions. As far as chains, if we include them, we have to figure out a way not to list every McDonalds in the greater Richmond Metro. I've discussed chains such as Maggiano's or Cheesecake factory, but what about 'common' chains such as Applebees or Chili's etc. Perhaps we can include chains on a case by case basis.

Wow, mclaws, we're on the same wavelength, aren't we? I didn't see your post until after I submitted mine (posting at the office, and I get distracted pretty easily), but it's good that I'm not the only one thinking this way.

I wouldn't be opposed to including chains unique to the market such as Maggiano's or Cheesecake Factory, but someone else can build the list if we're going to include every chain restaurant in town! :lol: Talk about an overwhelming task :shok: And personally, while chains like Applebee's are part of the scene, it would be my hope that we are promoting the local options first so that people can try out new (to them) local dining experiences... It's obvious that there's a TGI Friday's here and there in the area, but what if someone was curious about Ethiopian establishments? Cluttering a list with too many obvious chains might be counterproductive in that respect.

Mclaws, I think the best way to keep commentary off the list would be to lock the thread.

At the risk of sounding obnoxiously snobbish, I wouldn't even consider listing fast food chains. Brio Tuscan Grille, P.F. Changs, Flemmings, Mortons, Cheesecake Factory, etc. are the types of chains I was suggesting we list.

And I have suggested to Coupe that it should be simply a list alphabetically arranged under the area in which it is located. Name, address, phone number and web site -- that's all. It's just too big a job to add or cross reference comments. This is a thread that I suspect will be locked (like the projects list). I will take the responsibility of keeping it updated with your help, and if in my old age I become incapacitated, perhaps the key can be passed to one or more of you :).

We still can have fun and write mini reviews and express comments on this thread, and every now and then we can remind readers that we strive to keep the Restaurant List thread current.

Remember, we have our "name that restaurant thread", too.

Edited by burt

I think for like Chain Restaurants we should put Chains that you don't normally see or hear about in every City. I think that would be very effective and plus it would cut out alot.. I mean Stuff Like Pizaa Hut Taco Bell KFC I mean lol most townes and cities have those so KNOCK THOSE OFF THE LIST!!!!! :shades:

I think for like Chain Restaurants we should put Chains that you don't normally see or hear about in every City. I think that would be very effective and plus it would cut out alot.. I mean Stuff Like Pizaa Hut Taco Bell KFC I mean lol most townes and cities have those so KNOCK THOSE OFF THE LIST!!!!! :shades:

That's the plan, Joey. :thumbsup:

TBurban has promised to help keep us up to date on the Short Pump, Western Henrico/Goochland area. Keep your eyes open for developments in your area, please -- like Texas de Brazil, for instance.

Edited by burt

Thank you Deveron at Style for enlightening me about the location of RELISH. The prepared foods spot, operating in collaboration with next-door TRIPLE CROSSING COFFEE is located between STOOL PIGEONS and BUFFALO WILD WINGS in Margaret Freund's rehabbed warehouse on the east side of 15th between Cary and Dock Streets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deveron reports that ZEUS GALLERY CAFE on Belmont Street between Grove and Hanover has experienced its first major personnel turnover in the restaurant's history, says owner Ted Doll. The newly expanded ZEUS is "...taking our cuisine to a slightly higer level...using strong classical techniques that are more prep intensive but will burst with flavor, similar to what Veritas is doing in New York" says Doll who has hired Chef Dan Williamson away from MILLIE's kitchen staff, and adds that ZEUS business continues to boom.

Meanwhile --

Former chef Mac McCrowell and former ZEUS wait-staff partners Jeanne Strong and Laura Foster have set off on a new adventure. They plan to open a new American grill called KARSEN's at 3411 West Cary Street (in upper Carytown) by summer.

More info as it becomes available.

Watch out, IPANEMA, you've got BIG competition out there in the far west end.

B. P. Fox's review in Style is full of raves about Regency Square's new tenant, TEXAS DE BRAZIL CHURRASCARIA. It's playing to full houses and http://www.texasdebrazil.com can suggest specific time slots for reservations.

Says Ms Fox, "Heavy doors from the parking lot of Regency Square open into a large, dark lounge. Past the looming salad bar and beyond the soaring wine rack, massive gilt-framed mirrors -- tilted to reflect the entirety of the restaurant -- flank the truly enormous low-lighted dining area. The red walls, large wrought-iron chandeliers and black fixtures of its interior heighten the drama of shining skewers and flashing knives."

Wow!!

Brizilian carvers, imported from other franchises (of which there are not many) handle two skewers at a time, while gaucho-clad, black-booted servers also carve meat tableside.

I can't wait to visit TEXAS DE BRAZIL -- a sumptious feast and dazzling show. I'm a sucker for that kind of evening.

It costs $42 a head, plus drinks, taxes and tip, so maybe you should ask your date to "split the bill." :lol:

Watch out, IPANEMA, you've got BIG competition out there in the far west end.

Are you speaking of the Ipanema on W. Grace St?? That place is more of a play on words--its almost entirely vegetarian (whereas brasilian food is supposed to involve a lot of meat)! haha. Everything is written on a chalk board and, they only offer up 1 or 2 meat dishes per evening (usually fish).

Edited by jasonb

Are you speaking of the Ipanema on W. Grace St?? That place is more of a play on words--its almost entirely vegetarian (whereas brasilian food is supposed to involve a lot of meat)! haha. Everything is written on a chalk board and, they only offer up 1 or 2 meat dishes per evening (usually fish).

No, Jason; McLaw is referring to the IPANEMA Churrascaria that is out on Gayton Road, I believe -- or maybe it's on that other road way out there that starts with a "G". Anyway, it apparently is similar to but on a smaller scale than TEXAS DE BRAZIL and is very popular. But I don't believe it is a chain operation.

The IPANEMA across from The Grace Street Theatre is a funky place and mostly vegetarian, but I enjoyed it on my one and only visit.

Yeah, I've actually gotten into an interesting situation involving "confusion" over the Ipanema name. I called the Ipanema CAFE (Grace st) and asked for reservations for eight. The girl on the phone seemed shocked and after a small pause said "Are you sure that you have the right place? This isn't the steak house."

Me: "Yes, this is Ipanema Cafe... the place on Grace Street, right?"

Her: "Yes, it is... just making sure...."

Weird attitude?

I've been there twice. Once I spent over twenty bucks. The second time, my bill rang up at $1.92. Both times I left with a full stomach completely satisfied. Believe it.

I can't wait to visit TEXAS DE BRAZIL -- a sumptious feast and dazzling show. I'm a sucker for that kind of evening.

It costs $42 a head, plus drinks, taxes and tip, so maybe you should ask your date to "split the bill." :lol:

Me too Burt, A group of us are going this Saturday Night. I live near there and have been watching the progress of the building. For some reason they took one of the HUGE ! Torch lights down at the front end and I've yet to see the remainder lit.

On another note. Sorry we never connected here in Richmond. I was a bit Busy opening an additional Cafe to our Business side of the Company. The office staff was scolded well as I notified them I was expecting you to come by and to show you around. Please accept my humble appologies :blush: .

Dreadedly to catch you and the others up Since its been a while. Really busy Holiday Season, Power Surged the house at the end of September took out all the electronics, ( Yes all of them including the heat/ AC and My newest present 42" flatscreen. ) so I was using a cra py laptop until I could replace the stuff.

We Closed the other addition that took most of the Summer to rehab, ( See the other posts) and thats it.

Hope your wrists are well and MODERATOR you can move this over if you need but HEY the opening Site is pretty snazy!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

We've wondered where you were, jonbeattie. Glad you're back among us.

Sorry to have missed seeing you. I dropped by on two different days; a young fella greeted me the first time and invited my friend and me into the office, and a young lady met me at the door of the office the second time. They were both most gracious. Don't you dare scold them.

Give us a report on your evening at TEXAS DE BRAZIL.

Hahaha. The first day I visited, the electrics were partially down. Had to use an elevator hidden away in a cove since the main one was out of order. It was back in operation on the 2nd visit. I still want to see the building some day.

Edited by burt

Yeah, I've actually gotten into an interesting situation involving "confusion" over the Ipanema name. I called the Ipanema CAFE (Grace st) and asked for reservations for eight. The girl on the phone seemed shocked and after a small pause said "Are you sure that you have the right place? This isn't the steak house."

Me: "Yes, this is Ipanema Cafe... the place on Grace Street, right?"

Her: "Yes, it is... just making sure...."

Weird attitude?

I've been there twice. Once I spent over twenty bucks. The second time, my bill rang up at $1.92. Both times I left with a full stomach completely satisfied. Believe it.

I went to the Ipanema Cafe once, but they had a sign on the door indicating that their credit card machine was down. We had no cash, so we went to Nile instead.

Dana could be singing "not much to look at, not much to see", but she'd finish with a 3-star coda of praise.

GRAPELEAF (non-smoking) in The Village Shopping Center, 7003-A Three Chopt Road, tel. 804/673-6739 is now owned by Yeman Daou and Ray Abouzaki since the founders retired recently to Lebanon.

Says Dana, "On a recent Friday evening, the aromas of garlic, corriander and cinnamon turned our party of four otherwise mature adults into giddy children on a trick-or-treat bender. We couldn't control our ordering."

She continues, "...modest decor doesn't foretell the reckless abandon that inevitably overtakes one's consumption sanity."

Dana reminds us that "...socializing is an inherent part of Lebanese cuisine." Small plates (mezzas) or full-plated ones are available as well as taboulehs, falafels, hummus and stuffed grape leafs.

A tender, tasty marinated Beef Shawarma was my favorite among Dana's descriptions.

There's a nice wine list including Ksara Blanc de Blanc and some Lebanese beers.

GRAPELEAF is on my list of ethnic restaurants to sample on future Richmond visits.

Tab for two: $88 .

Question for nhughes:

You mentioned you're in the business of selling restaurant, so maybe you can answer my question.

A friend just mentioned that RIO GRANDE CAFE in Stony Point Mall closed. I was suprised because every time I've been, it's seemed busy. Apparently there wasn't much notice as they were training a new hostess last weekend. I've heard restaurant sales at Stony Point have been suffering, but I didn't think restaurants were closing.

Any leads you might have would be much appreciated.

Question for nhughes:

You mentioned you're in the business of selling restaurant, so maybe you can answer my question.

A friend just mentioned that RIO GRANDE CAFE in Stony Point Mall closed. I was suprised because every time I've been, it's seemed busy. Apparently there wasn't much notice as they were training a new hostess last weekend. I've heard restaurant sales at Stony Point have been suffering, but I didn't think restaurants were closing.

Any leads you might have would be much appreciated.

I don't know much about the malls, just because the rents are insane (just the NNN charges at Regency were around $20/SF last time I checked). I believe that the owners at Stony Point are looking for their restaurant tenants to hit $5M in gross sales each year.

But, I do happen to know that Rio Grande Cafe was struggling for a while. Of course, this is nothing through official channels, since I wouldn't be able to reveal that due to confidentiality.

I also read that sales were down at Stony Point restaurants but only by single digit percentages.

Im sorry if RIO GRANDE CAFE is shuttering. It's exterior looks like a movie theater. Maybe its location away from Changs and Flemmings and Brio Tuscan Grill does not work in its favor.

How is Champps doing? It's just across the patio.

The rumor reported by checkplease is true. Greg Gilligan at the TD writes this morning that Uncle Julio's RIO GRANDE CAFE abruptly closed last Wednesday after serving its last meal in Stony Point Fashion Park. Company President Todd Conger said "Making this decision was a difficult but sound business move" and added "We are sad to leave Richmond."

A spokesman said Uncle Julio's "just couldn't afford to keep it open. Sales were not strong enough."

Stony Point's manager, Joe Frye reported that the center's eight restaurants performed well in 2006, "The restaurants did extremely well as a category. It was our best finish."

Among the eight, the biggies are P.F.CHANG CHINA BISTRO, FLEMING'S PRIME STEAKHOUSE & WINE BAR, BRIO TUSCAN GRILLE, CHAMPPS AMERICANA and COPELAND'S CHEESECAKE BISTRO. (The latter, while very popular, is not to be confused with THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY which is located in Short Pump Towne Center and grosses more than $10 million annually.)

City meals-tax reports reveal that in 2005 the restaurants rang up more than $23 million, slightly down from the previous year. 2006 figures were not available.

The luxury fashion park is looking for a replacement restaurant tenant. Stony Point's owners, The Taubman group, want to bring in a restaurant concept that is not currently represented and said "We're actively talking to a couple of restaurants right now."

RIO GRAND CAFEs are in eleven locations -- three in NOVA, two in Maryland, three in Texas, two in Illinois and one in Georgia.

My personal comment is that Rio Grande is not ideally located in the mall. It is up a short "avenue" from the fountain plaza fronting a parking area. While it's just across the avenue from Champps, the latter spot has a built-in supportive sports crowd. The major restaurants are on a side of Stony Point that is very visible.

Edited by burt