Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Can you guys help me identify the restaurant in this picture? It's a restaurant located in the upper Fan, but I can't think of the name or address...

rvacover1eb3.jpg

Because Burt has called me out, I'll throw my guess in. I think it's AVALON on Main Street between Robinson and Boulevard. The interior used to be more understated (black and white pictures, neutral tones, lost of dark wood), but I heard that the owner's wife (?) has a knack for interior design and redid the place. Last time I went, the dining area had completely changed: red and cream walls, bright paintings, lots of plants. I think the table pictured is the one on the far left when you enter the dining room from the bar. The wood booths still line the wall.

I don't know this band, but I know Avalon attracts the music/band crowd later in the evening when it switches from dinner to bar. It's a great place to grab a drink: wonderful microbrew selection, good choice of top shelf bourbons and a decent wine list. Plus, they just swtiched their menu to tapas after long-time chef Q Derks left. Alex Lira, of Europa, is there now.

www.avalonrestaurant.com

If you check out the menu, each offering includes two prices. I've been told the regulars are having a hard time adjusting to the swtich from entrees to tapas, so they are offering everything in either portion for now.

After reading your information above, Checkplease, I am convinced that you are correct and it is AVALON on West Main between Robinson and Mulberry Streets.

But it has undergone a transformation since I last was there (several years ago). The curtains at the window threw me as well as the prints hanging on the wall and white tablecloths. But the wooden booth looks familiar.

I liked reading your comments about AVALON.

Breakfastpills, does this ring bells as to the name and location?

Hmmmm. I'm having trouble accessing the web site. Wonder if it will work if I add http in front of it? Let's see.

http://www.avalonrestaurant.com

Hahaha! It worked!

Edited by burt

Am I the only reader to venture a guess about the the name and location of the above pictured restaurant?

I'll bet McLaw and Jason and nhughes and checkplease and Brent could make good guesses. :)

Not from that angle, I can't. I'm sure it's one of those instances where the answer is revealed and we all hit our heads with a "d'oh!"

After reading your information above, Checkplease, I am convinced that you are correct and it is AVALON on West Main between Robinson and Mulberry Streets.

But it has undergone a transformation since I last was there (several years ago). The curtains at the window threw me as well as the prints hanging on the wall and white tablecloths. But the wooden booth looks familiar.

I liked reading your comments about AVALON.

Breakfastpills, does this ring bells as to the name and location?

Hmmmm. I'm having trouble accessing the web site. Wonder if it will work if I add http in front of it? Let's see.

http://www.avalonrestaurant.com

Hahaha! It worked!

Damn! I was thinking Avalon, but I wasn't sure about the colors on the walls. Also, I was thinking that the distance behind the booth looked too short.

I was second-guessing myself, since I go to Avalon quite a bit (was just there Thursday night). I figured it was the first place to pop to mind since it's one of my favorite spots in the Fan.

Yep, it is in fact Avalon on Main.

That was pretty entertaining, so let's see if anyone can guess this restaurant:

img0373zl3.jpg

It's in the same general area as Avalon in terms of being west of Belvidere, and it's my one of my personal favorites. Maybe we should have "name that restaurant" thread, heh.

Hmmmm. More hints, please BP. I can't begin to guess.

Here's one: Name a Fan restaurant with a step-down entry into an intimate bar and dining area with additional tables in the rear, and background music that doesn't blast your ears drums. :whistling:

OK -- so it's MAMA 'ZU. I haven't been there for years. But I should have noticed that the menu was too special for Joe's.

Remember, guys, I live in NYCity and don't get home to Richmond that often. But I hope this game of 'Name that Restaurant" continues -- especially with pictures. :)

Clear give away...MAMA ZU'S in the up and coming Oregon Hill Neighborhood!

Oregon Hill is 'up and coming'? I thought that VCU and the downtown expressway were destroying it. It's such a pretty neighborhood, though.

You could create a "Name that Richmond Restaurant" thread... :thumbsup:

I'll do it...

EDIT: Here's the thread link- http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34899

The White Dog is a special place for me. I had my first date with my wife there and we got engaged there. As an added bonus, we love the food so we go back often!

Wow. How long ago was this? The White Dog is a special place for me because they serve a half-duckling roasted in Maple Bourbon Glaze.

Edited by BreakfastPills

Now that we have an updated projects listing... anyone else think it would be neat to have a Restaurants listing for Richmond? We could list the restaurants, with a brief description and perhaps a website link if the restaurant has a website?

I think that's an excellent suggestion. There's tons of restaurant information in this 70+ page thread, but I haven't the remotest idea of how to corral it. If somebody else can do it, I'll try to keep it up-to-date.

This site is fast approaching 40,000 hits which ranks it close to the top of Richmond threads.

I tried out Cous Cous, and was very satisfied. Tapas items ranged from $5 to 9 dollars. We got 3 tapas and a salad and had a lot of leftovers. Mediterranean platter ($9) was huge with hummus, pita, tabouli, spiced pickled carrots, peppers, olives etc. Tabouli was a little weak in the parsley, barley dept. for my taste, but still excellent. Hummus, of various varieties was smooth and tasty. The house red (some type of Sangiovese, but forgot exactly what it was) was $18, good price for the quality. Wilted spinach with apples and pine nuts was superb. Slow cooked chicken was moist and tender, with a unique flavor. We also tried a salad (I think it was $4 and was called Fez's salad if I'm not mistaken), which was also excellent.

Then we sat at the bar. My date had a pomegranate martini, which she loved, and I had a very strong and good mint julep. I followed that up with a good mojito (mint was very fresh) and she had a pomegranate mojito, which was so good that everyone else at the bar started ordering it. I also saw Mr. Yamash(ee)ta, on the premises, but didn't get a chance to speak with him. He looks very young except for his grey hair. I would have sworn he was my age otherwise. I should point out something I learned from our waitress, In case others don't already know this; The correct pronunciation puts the accent on the second syllable, not on the ('EET') as I'd assumed.

Hey! That's a neat review of COUS COUS, McLaw. I'll try it out next I'm in town.

Sorry you didn't get a chance to tell Mr. YaMAsheeta what fun we have had with his name. :lol:

Come over to the new thread, McLaw, and contribute. But the place last listed has to be identified before we go on to another one. I hope BP and others agree with that.

Edited by burt

Mediterranean platter ($9) was huge with hummus, pita, tabouli, spiced pickled carrots, peppers, olives etc.

I've been to Cous Cous twice and it's quickly becoming one of my new favorite restaurants in Richmond. You're correct the Mediterranean Platter is ginormous and is definitely my favorite. I also liked the Gnocci and Sangria. The second time I went I was with a party of about 6 and we must have ordered at least one of everything on the menu.

I've been to Cous Cous twice and it's quickly becoming one of my new favorite restaurants in Richmond. You're correct the Mediterranean Platter is ginormous and is definitely my favorite. I also liked the Gnocci and Sangria. The second time I went I was with a party of about 6 and we must have ordered at least one of everything on the menu.

:yahoo: And to think, COUS COUS used to be the very sedate Chesterfield Tea Room before it morphed into Chuggers. For those who do not know, COUS COUS is on the main floor of The Chesterfield Apartment building at 900 West Franklin in the heart of VCU.

Edited by burt

Sorry to change the subject, but I've been wondering whether anybody has any inside information on Zuppa's move across the street to the former Jacquemos building? Wouldn't that be like Mrs. Marshall's moving into the Tobacco Company space? Zuppa's is very small and has a very limited menu while the Jacquemos building seems huge from the outside. Is Zuppa's going to rework its whole menu to offer a wider variety of food?

I think, the last time I was there, I remember them saying they would have an expanded menu, as well as live music, and maybe some other things. Should be opening in the next week or so.

Actually, Jacquemo's wasn't as large as it looked from the outside. I'll bet capacity did not exceed 70. If ZUPPA adds live music to the menu :yahoo: , it would reduce seating even more.

ATTENTION:

Coupe has agreed to compile a restaurant list including web sites and very concise comments . What do you folks think should be the format? I lean to area listings similar to Style's, but please give us your suggestions.

I would shy away from our own rating system, since my aim has always been to encourage readers to try Richmond's array of restaurants of all levels. Where reviews have been published, I see nothing wrong in posting critics ratings in very brief accompanying comments.

I would like to continue this thread pretty much as it is so contributors can keep us abreast of openings and closings as well as writing their own reviews. Who has not enjoyed reading dining-out experiences of McLaw, Jason, JSI, Mr & Mrs Bugsy, nhughes, BreakfastPills, checkplease, Brent, CommRE, Coupe and many others?

Coupe's list should be a separate thread, IMO. But all comments are more than welcome.

Edited by burt

ATTENTION:

Coupe has agreed to compile a restaurant list including web sites and very concise comments . What do you folks think should be the format? I lean to area listings similar to Style's, but please give us your suggestions.

I would shy away from our own rating system, since my aim has always been to encourage readers to try Richmond's array of restaurants of all levels. Where reviews have been published, I see nothing wrong in posting critics ratings in very brief accompanying comments.

I would like to continue this thread pretty much as it is so contributors can keep us abreast of openings and closings as well as writing their own reviews. Who has not enjoyed reading dining-out experiences of McLaw, Jason, JSI, Mr & Mrs Bugsy, nhughes, BreakfastPills, checkplease, Brent, CommRE, Coupe and many others?

Coupe's list should be a separate thread, IMO. But all comments are more than welcome.

Great idea, Burt. And I like your idea about compiling brief descriptions and critics' ratings rather than creating an Urban Planet rating system. Like you said, everyone should give Richmond restaurants a try and decide for themselves. And then, come back to this thread and post your dining experience.

I can't wait!

I know I'll need assistance with "concise comments" as I obviously haven't been to every restaurant in Richmond.

I think it can be beneficial to have something like this, as this restaurant thread has always been popular. Contributors or those that simply read what we say can look for restaurants to try in the "Richmond Restaurants Listing" thread, and can comment on their experiences in this thread.

I wasn't sure how to divvy up the area though, as there are some good non-chain restaurants outside of the city. I can make it so that each area of the city (the bottom, slip, fan etc..) each have a post that lists all the restaurants and info and then also have posts for "West End" South Side etc... for those non-chain suburban options... It would be similar in design to the Projects Listing thread, though obviously divided up differently.

Thoughts?