Thornton Park

spenser1058

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Woofgang  house at Summerlin and Washington is up for lease. Not sure if that means they’re on the way out or if it’s just upstairs.

I think it was Brandon who mentioned they were leaving a couple months back. Appears they are heading to SoDo.

• Thanks 1

I was a loyal shopper at the TP Woof Gang almost the entire time they were there. The sales associates were great and they were always willing to source something if they didn’t typically stock it. Then they dropped my dog’s food brand and said they wouldn’t carry it anymore. Curiously, Petco picked it up right around the same time so I migrated away from a locally owned business to the big box. [emoji58]

Shame if they’re leaving because I always thought that business was a great fit for that location. It’d be a tough spot for most anything other than a professional office.

Scott J reports Shari in TP is closed:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4894-shari-is-closed

No sushi for you!

Meanwhile, in a bit of drama while noting Dexter’s WP is closed until Friday when it reopens as “New Standard”, he drops the hint there will be news about the TP Dexter’s this afternoon. Stay tuned ...

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4893-dexter-s-of-winter-park-is-closed-new-standard-in-previews-beginning-friday

Edited by spenser1058

32 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Scott J reports Shari in TP is closed:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4894-shari-is-closed

No sushi for you!

Meanwhile, in a bit of drama while noting Dexter’s WP is closed until Friday when it reopens as “New Standard”, he drops the hint there will be news about the TP Dexter’s this afternoon. Stay tuned ...

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4893-dexter-s-of-winter-park-is-closed-new-standard-in-previews-beginning-friday

Guessing they are rebranding as well.

That Shari move is both sad and not surprising. I know he was looking to move a few years ago. That location is tough but Jinya seems to do well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

That Shari move is both sad and not surprising. I know he was looking to move a few years ago. That location is tough but Jinya seems to do well.

Maybe they could bring Cityfish back. I love seafood but I prefer mine cooked (except the oysters).

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

After the recent sale they brought in the Exec chef from Graffiti/ Felipe Rodriquez. They did some interior refresh and modified the menu. The food had become unpassable so I'm assuming he made improvements. I can't see them giving up the Dexter's name in a rebrand, but maybe...? 

Speaking of the neighborhood, does Jax in the old Cityfish location do much business. It must be my timing, but I never see a anyone there.

@popsiclebrandon have you heard anything else about the Tre Bambine site? Any word on the chef they are backing?

33 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

After the recent sale they brought in the Exec chef from Graffiti/ Felipe Rodriquez. They did some interior refresh and modified the menu. The food had become unpassable so I'm assuming he made improvements. I can't see them giving up the Dexter's name in a rebrand, but maybe...? 

Speaking of the neighborhood, does Jax in the old Cityfish location do much business. It must be my timing, but I never see a anyone there.

@popsiclebrandon have you heard anything else about the Tre Bambine site? Any word on the chef they are backing?

I have heard that the whole group is in trouble. Appearently, it's not so easy to run a restaurant. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smileguy said:

I have heard that the whole group is in trouble. Appearently, it's not so easy to run a restaurant.

Seems you heard right. Felipe Rodriguez is closed and Dexter's TP is hoping for new owners...

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4895-felipe-rodriguez-closed-sale-of-dexter-s-thornton-park-rumored

21 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Seems you heard right. Felipe Rodriguez is closed and Dexter's TP is hoping for new owners...

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4895-felipe-rodriguez-closed-sale-of-dexter-s-thornton-park-rumored

Wait I thought the Graffiti dude owned all of these? Is the entire chain struggling or he just cutting losses on bad ideas?

All I know about Tre Bambine spot is it Oudum folks are looking to open an American concept there that sounds like they just saw that Stubborn Mule kills it and thought they should copy that idea.  We'll see. I contend that space will always fail in its current size unless a big chain moves in.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:18 PM, spenser1058 said:

Dexter’s became my default go-to not long after Ronnie’s closed and I’ve been going to D’s almost as long as I went to Ronnie’s.

I think if you're jonesing for a Dexter's Special or garlic bucatini you should get it this weekend...

So was trying to figure this all out. So Greg Peters of Graffiti bought Dexters, including the building. The building sale was listed at $1.3 mill. Apparently it isn't doing so well now for some reason and I guess he is looking to just be a landlord there?

The old Graffiti space that is now Felipe is owned by Phil Rampy still but has been continually leased by Greg with a bunch of concepts since Graffiti moved and I guess maybe he is now giving up on the space.

Thornton Park needs a lot of help, the parking and homeless are making it hard to compete with the newer, cooler areas that have sprung up. Landlords better realize the rents of the past need to be in the past, this area isn't a destination anymore. It also dearly needs a competent main street director but that is below the other stuff for sure.

20 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Thornton Park needs a lot of help, the parking and homeless are making it hard to compete with the newer, cooler areas that have sprung up. Landlords better realize the rents of the past need to be in the past, this area isn't a destination anymore. It also dearly needs a competent main street director but that is below the other stuff for sure.

Places come and go- especially in the restaurant business- but it has been hard to watch the downward slide of Dexter's and it will be missed by many that remember the good old days. The past few years there have not been good.

Thorton Park is now left with Anthony's, Grafitti, Jenya, Soco and Jax (which I have doubts about). The empty spots- Shari, Dex, Felipe will get new tenants and new concepts- plus Persimmon- and hopefully refresh the staleness of the area. But the persistent parking issue will remain. There is not enough walking clientele to support more than 3 or 4 restaurants in that area especially with South Eola now offering other options and more to come.

4 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I have friends that live in TP and to hear them talk, it's the #1 neighborhood in the entire Western Hemisphere.  I wouldn't rate it in the top 10 neighborhoods in Orlando proper, but to each their own.

I love living by Thornton Park.  can walk to most of the things I need (other than to buy clothes or hardware), it has a very laid-back, casual feel and does feel very lived in. I'd rather eat dirt than live in these sterile buildings going up.

On 10/17/2019 at 9:40 AM, popsiclebrandon said:

Just curious, which areas?

37 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Ivanhoe, Milk, Mills, Curry Ford

None of which are really walkable. We seem doomed to be autocentric forever.

Thankfully, if I ever have to leave TP, downtown WG is very walkable. It just doesn’t have a grocery store. The Y is also in BFE but it’s much more bike-friendly so I suppose that’s a fair trade off. Way too many Republicans, though *sigh*. A new project!

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

None of which are really walkable. We seem doomed to be autocentric forever.

Thankfully, if I ever have to leave TP, downtown WG is very walkable. It just doesn’t have a grocery store. The Y is also in BFE but it’s much more bike-friendly so I suppose that’s a fair trade off. Way too many Republicans, though *sigh*. A new project!

No but that isn't the metric being discussed. I think Mills is kinda miserable but its certainly newer and cooler than TP.  I do love how I can walk to everything in this area but I will probably be moving out next year toward Ivanhoe more.

• Like 1