Carolina Place Mall

Is the old Sears space still empty? 

With the future Blue Line extension slated to pass by the mall, the owners should really consider redeveloping this parcel for mixed-use purposes. Heck, even if they don’t want to demolish the mall, you can still do so much with placing shops, offices and apartments in the surrounding parking lot. In general, I’m honestly surprised many mall developers don’t try this approach before allowing the mall to completely shutter. 

50 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

With the future Blue Line extension slated to pass by the mall, the owners should really consider redeveloping this parcel for mixed-use purposes. Heck, even if they don’t want to demolish the mall, you can still do so much with placing shops, offices and apartments in the surrounding parking lot. In general, I’m honestly surprised many mall developers don’t try this approach before allowing the mall to completely shutter. 

The Sears spot has opened up as “Southern Lion” which apparently is similar to what Black Lion was—-furniture 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 2:46 PM, videtur quam contuor said:

With Carolina Place and North Lake on a descent to oblivion, is there a city the size of Charlotte with ONE conventional fashion mall?

Not outlet or specialty mall. The conventional type.

short answer maybe yes.  Many markets have only one dominate mall but Southpark and Concord Mills are the best performing.  the malls that are struggling are the typical department store anchored ones like Northlakd and Carolina Place. 

13 hours ago, Temeteron said:

The Sears spot has opened up as “Southern Lion” which apparently is similar to what Black Lion was—-furniture 

Yes Southern Lion seems to be just on the top floor but I think I heard they will be expanding to the bottom floor.   

14 hours ago, Third Strike said:

They cant wait for that in my opinion they need to start building apartments on their vast parking lots now like they plan to do with Streets of Southpoint in Durham.  Put some medical offices there, apartments, outside restaurant row etc.  

• Like 3

If Carolina Place was in Charlotte city limits, I think we'd see apartments flying up. I wonder if Pineville is more difficult to work with to get apartments through the planning and approval process? Historically the town has been resistant to more urban development (such as the Blue Line) and non-garden style apartment complexes. Lately, almost all of Pineville's new developments have been SFH or Townhomes, though Pineville does push for garages to be behind properties in alleyways with porches facing the main streets, et. at relatively decent density. Uses aren't mixed though (McCullough near the SC border is walkable as far as the grid, but lacking retail to actually walk to) and the parking lots around Carolina Place likely would need to be taller apartments. 

I think a 5 story apartment complex would probably cause a lot of the town to cry the "small town charm" is under attack. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

If Carolina Place was in Charlotte city limits, I think we'd see apartments flying up. I wonder if Pineville is more difficult to work with to get apartments through the planning and approval process? Historically the town has been resistant to more urban development (such as the Blue Line) and non-garden style apartment complexes. Lately, almost all of Pineville's new developments have been SFH or Townhomes, though Pineville does push for garages to be behind properties in alleyways with porches facing the main streets, et. at relatively decent density. Uses aren't mixed though (McCullough near the SC border is walkable as far as the grid, but lacking retail to actually walk to) and the parking lots around Carolina Place likely would need to be taller apartments. 

I think a 5 story apartment complex would probably cause a lot of the town to cry the "small town charm" is under attack. 

I think it would obviously have to go through a rezoning and I am sure Pineville would be supportive as this is 2nd largest taxpayer after the hospital.   They have apartments all in Pinveille and I think this site on the edge of I-485 would not affect the downtown Pineville traffic as much.  Pineville has lots of brand new townhomes right by their their 2 block downtown and along NC 51 towards the stateline now.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think it would obviously have to go through a rezoning and I am sure Pineville would be supportive as this is 2nd largest taxpayer after the hospital.   They have apartments all in Pinveille and I think this site on the edge of I-485 would not affect the downtown Pineville traffic as much.  Pineville has lots of brand new townhomes right by their their 2 block downtown and along NC 51 towards the stateline now.  

Atrium doesn't have to pay property tax as a nonprofit, so the mall should be #1. 

I think they'd be supportive of non-super block apartments (garden style). I think the South End style would probably get some locals upset. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Atrium doesn't have to pay property tax as a nonprofit, so the mall should be #1. 

I think they'd be supportive of non-super block apartments (garden style). I think the South End style would probably get some locals upset. 

forgot about Atrium's tax status.  I think Pineville would be open to help their #1 taxpayer and since the developable land on the mall property is away from the town's choke points in terms of traffic.  Maybe like a Birkdale type development with a couple of floors apartments over retail with landscaped pedestrian area or small street in front of the shops.  

• Like 3