PROPOSED: Grant's Block

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to admit this, but I actually like Grant's Block as open space. It creates this nice shaft of light that enters into the cramped Westminster Street corridor. On a nice sunny day, standing at Dorrance the street looks cheerful with the sun shining on it down the block. I don't want to see the entire block remain open, but I rather like having a little pocket park along Westminster, maybe if Union Street had a nice wide corridor with a linear park along it, that same daylighting could accompany a narrow building on the site.

Interestingly, this same daylighting effect does not seem to occur at Snow Street. Maybe it's because Grant's Block has buildings across the street from it for the sun to shine on.

What you think that this open space adds to the area during the day surely deminishes at sundown. And what about the open spaces @ Westminster & Snow St? No downtown in an urban environment should have open spaces like these without some sort of use or development, and not surface parking.

• 1 month later...
Pat yourself on the back all you like, but the fact of this project's dormancy has nothing to do with credit contraction. You keep trying to make this project's status an economics discussion, but that simply isn't the case. Grant's Block can't move forward right now for reasons that have been discussed several times in the course of this thread. The circumstances impeding Cornish's progress are beyond their control.

Grant's Block is in limbo for a very specific reason, which has nothing to do with the financing. Ari spelled out the problem in detail back on page 13. Garris mentioned the same thing on the same page. Cotuit did as well. Garris also referred to the problem back on page 7.

And FWIW, Ari has repeatedly asserted that this project will not remain surface parking: the property cost Cornish far too much for that to be a feasible option. But at the same time, Cornish can do nothing feasible until a certain condition is met by the City ... :whistling:

• 4 months later...

We've been through this discussion before. Jerry just forgets, that's all. Nothing can happen with this project until the city gets its act in gear and starts two-waying a bunch of streets Downcity, which has been on the laundry list for ... damn ... I dunno how many years now.

Until then, we wait.

We've been through this discussion before. Jerry just forgets, that's all. Nothing can happen with this project until the city gets its act in gear and starts two-waying a bunch of streets Downcity, which has been on the laundry list for ... damn ... I dunno how many years now.

Until then, we wait.

at least one of those streets (empire) has had traffic lights pointing the other direction for quite some time now...

last i knew funding the impact study on weybosset was the issue there (though this was almost a year ago now). i think a major business on weybosset was going to help fund it.

Not to beat a dead horse, or try to go off topic, but I was wondering if Granoff/Bluechip had a hand in it, which is why I sort of assumed the plan was to make the entire length of the street two-way. But you're right either way. I've been wondering for quite some time why Washington had been made two-way, but not Empire or Weybosset.

Archived