PROPOSED: Grant's Block

One particular subject will come up over and over and over again. Yet, nothing has happened. Folks doing the talking are quite aware that certain projects were conceived and depend on this topic moving from discussion to action. Yet, nothing has happened. In addition, there are a couple of small organizations dealing with planning that have "foundation" in there names. They have some minutes on meetings they have had. I'm sure you'll find some of this stuff quite interesting. I think after you read a few facts instead of making judgmental comments you'll realize that you are insulting someone (or some company) incorrectly . . . Evil? Perhaps. :whistling:

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if the researchable information is public - why not set the record straight in the place where everyone is clamoring for updated information. I think we all want to see some movement on this (as well as pretty much every other project in the city) - thats why we all post here - in one way, shape, or another, we all are HUGE proponents in the development of Providence. Lack of information (especially if its not considered proprietary) breeds mistrust and skeptisism - especially in RI...

So which project specific to this parcel have they not used historic tax credits? There's only one project on this parcel.

Cornish isn't selling condos. And I'd be happy to defend some of the work that Streuver is doing. How are we to draw investment to our city and save our historic structures? If it is being done wrong now, what is your proposal for doing right?

:rofl: Everybody in this world is out to make a "buck." If there are ways to easily manipulate a system of erroneous tax benefits, write-offs, and profit margins, people are going to do it. Almost every system in this entire state is cracked from welfare fraud to tax credits to outrageous pensions....and yet Buddy Cianci...even in prison..is still RI's biggest icon. How is it that Paolino, being one of the biggest landlords in downtown, can continue to operate with more vacancies than actual income? I could go on and on with similar analogies...but you get the point. There is absolutely no accountability when it comes to the state of affairs in RI....but then again...there's also no accountability on the federal level either when it comes to a host of other ideas. I caught a lot of flak when I made a derogatory comment about Ri'ers some time go. ( Where are you KRC? )...but I think RI is in sore need of a business strategist to come to the rescue. You would think with one of the 3rd largest state deficits in the country people would finally smell the coffee....but that wouldn't happen here. RI'ers would elect somebody on the sole basis if they saw them @ DD.

• 3 weeks later...
I was lambasted on the Downtown Condo thread when those buildings were coming down for suggesting, that we might see them used as surface parking lots. Remind me again what is Grants Block currently being used for? The real credit contraction I spoke of in that thread is about to begin (Q1 07) and the fall will be precipitous and swift, and only then will we see why subsidizing rampant residential specualtion, was a truly BAD idea.

Pat yourself on the back all you like, but the fact of this project's dormancy has nothing to do with credit contraction. You keep trying to make this project's status an economics discussion, but that simply isn't the case. Grant's Block can't move forward right now for reasons that have been discussed several times in the course of this thread. The circumstances impeding Cornish's progress are beyond their control.

Grant's Block is in limbo for a very specific reason, which has nothing to do with the financing. Ari spelled out the problem in detail back on page 13. Garris mentioned the same thing on the same page. Cotuit did as well. Garris also referred to the problem back on page 7.

And FWIW, Ari has repeatedly asserted that this project will not remain surface parking: the property cost Cornish far too much for that to be a feasible option. But at the same time, Cornish can do nothing feasible until a certain condition is met by the City ... :whistling:

1. I don't need life lessons from you, thanks.

2. It IS about the money. Nobody claimed otherwise. I said that it's not about the financing, which is what you continually want to make it out to be; but it IS about the money. As I said before, Ari has said so on MANY occasions in this thread that Cornish paid too much money for that property to let it sit as a surface lot. They NEED to make money off this lot. But they can't do so until the City gets it in gear.

• 2 months later...

Getting anything out of City Hall takes eons. When I was an intern at a certain place, we had a special folder titled "outstanding project agreements-City of Providence." I am not surprised at all that this project is delayed given it's supposed to have a municipal parking component.

Archived