Where does the garbage go in Charlotte?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure where it currently goes, but a landfill is supposed to open up in 2007 off hwy 521 near the Mecklenburg, Union, & Lancaster county lines.

Some former landfills include Renaissance Park off Tyvola Rd, Charles T. Myers golf course off Harrisburg Rd, and McApline Park off Monroe Rd.

really? 521? I thought was going to be a park or something. I think they should put it in the part of union county where nobody lives or put it in Gaston :)

They tried doing that in Union County. They pushed for a landfill across the street from where I live and the entire community went full force against it. It was to be as large as the landfill by Lowes Motor Speedway on the Cabarrus/Meck line. This was two years or more ago I suppose. I work across from the landfill by the speedway as well and it is quite horrible smelling on hot days or damp winter mornings.

Allmost all of the non-recycled garbage in Mecklenburg county is buried in landfills within the county. I believe it is closed now, but the Harrisburg Landfill served the county for at least a decade and is now being turned into a park. Several of the other parks in town are former landfills. I believe the controversial landfill mentioned above (there was a court case filed by Lancaster county residents) is where the garbage currently goes. There was another landfill on Yorkmount Rd.

In the late 80's the City Council constructed an incinerator at Harris Blvd & N. Tryon to burn garbage and generate electricity. Excess steam was to be delivered to UNCC. The incinerator operated for a few years, but the Council did not want to spend more money on it to clean up the emissions from the place so they closed the incinerator down. It sat there unused for more than a decade until it was torn down last year to make way for Phase II of a strip mall that now sits at that corner.

Charlotte was one of the last cities in the Carolinas to end backyard garbage pick up. The conversion to roll out garbage occured in 1993. I believe the recycling program began around that time too.

Charlotte was one of the last cities in the Carolinas to end backyard garbage pick up.  The conversion to roll out garbage occured in 1993.  I believe the recycling program began around that time too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Winston-Salem is trying to end backyard pickup. I thought I read in an article in the Winston-Salem Journal about a year ago that Charlotte was one of the first cities to end backyard pickup.

And I think Raleigh still has, or just phased out, twice a week pickup.

Archived