Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

^ I think Jerry Orr would have jumped at the chance to expand cargo facilities if he thought there was demand. He did make an offer to pay for the development of the Global Transpark facilitiy if it were built at CLT instead of the boondocks of Kinston.

Just guessing here but I think our region lacks the type of advanced manufacturing that would heavily use large volume air cargo (e.g pharma or micro electronics). 

Edited by kermit

9 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ I think Jerry Orr would have jumped at the chance to expand cargo facilities if he thought there was demand. He did make an offer to pay for the development of the Global Transpark facilitiy if it were built at CLT instead of the boondocks of Kinston.

Just guessing here but I think our region lacks the type of advanced manufacturing that would heavily use large volume air cargo (e.g pharma or micro electronics). 

Off topic - but is there any good news out of the Global Transpark facility? Any? 

On 2/18/2016 at 1:06 PM, HopHead said:

Just booked a trip for the fall. Delta is apparently offering a 2 for 1 deal on trips in September to NYC (LaGuardia) from CLT when compared to American. The routes are nearly identical.

Delta: $176

American: $355

I want to fly your planes American, but you're making that choice rather difficult! And yes, I did complain to them directly about that.

Delta (DL) flies a horrible CRJ 900 on that route. AA, on the other hand, flies a A321. I'll take the 321. On a slightly similar note, I just booked my next work trip for next week to San Francisco (SFO). If I take the non-stop on AA from CLT, the fare is $896, round trip. If I take DL and connect in Atlanta (ATL) on the way out, and in Salt Lake City (SLC) on the way back, I can go for $388 round trip.  Just for sh*ts and giggles, I checked the fare from ATL to SFO. The non-stop on DL is $902 round trip, on AA, connecting in Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW), it's $388. Bottom line, if you live in a hub city for any airline, you pay for the convenience. (I bought the non-stop, btw. Five hours in a metal tube versus nine with a stop in Atlanta will be worth it any day of the week.)

And while that Southwest fare to Nashville (BNA) might be cheap right now, rest assured, in two months it will be just the same as AA.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Delta (DL) flies a horrible CRJ 900 on that route. AA, on the other hand, flies a A321. I'll take the 321. On a slightly similar note, I just booked my next work trip for next week to San Francisco (SFO). If I take the non-stop on AA from CLT, the fare is $896, round trip. If I take DL and connect in Atlanta (ATL) on the way out, and in Salt Lake City (SLC) on the way back, I can go for $388 round trip.  Just for sh*ts and giggles, I checked the fare from ATL to SFO. The non-stop on DL is $902 round trip, on AA, connecting in Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW), it's $388. Bottom line, if you live in a hub city for any airline, you pay for the convenience. (I bought the non-stop, btw. Five hours in a metal tube versus nine with a stop in Atlanta will be worth it any day of the week.)

And while that Southwest fare to Nashville (BNA) might be cheap right now, rest assured, in two months it will be just the same as AA.

The flight we ended up going with is on an Embrarer 175, not the CRJ. Avoid the CRJs like the plague. And when you're paying for more than one ticket the thought of paying another $350-400 to fly an A321 is less appealing. Agree we pay the price for having a hub, and I've stated that, but it's still ridiculous for us to pay astronomical prices for NS routes like NYC and Orlando for example. I'd expect to pay a higher prememium to San Fran and LA.

More renderings have been posted on the airport website of the inside of A North,  renovated Atrium, Concourse B, and Concourse E.

All of them are on this page in various videos with that soundtrack that we all love.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Airport/Pages/DestinationCLTVideoGallery.aspx

A North

- Looks great on the interior, wish the rest of the airport looked like this but at least it is a signal of the future architectural direction.

Atrium

- Main difference is a new ceiling which looks like it will have "stars" at night.

Concourse A,B,C,D,E

The new floors and ceiling tiles definitely gives it a more modern and clean appearance...but it is really just putting lipstick on a pig. A North is the real deal.

The A-North video looks amazing...simply amazing. It's just sad that the rest of the airport won't look like that. It kind of looks like Concourse J at MIA. My only question regarding the new concourse is in regards to the gate numbers...will they be reassigned? The gate shown in the new concourse was assigned A5, but A5 is currently in the original section of the concourse. Hopefully there will be a space for DL to put a lounge in there. 

I wonder what additional flights we will see after the non-AA carriers receive more gates. 

***To add to my post, I wonder if we will see LH move to this area for departures, and use D only for arrivals, freeing up space in D for AA.

Edited by LKN704

36 minutes ago, kermit said:

This article discusses the very strong financial performance of CLT as a hub. Its not well written, but it attributes some of this success to local traffic (aka market share)

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13476660/1/american-s-charlotte-hub-has-best-yield-growth-while-chicago-o-hare-is-worst.html

And this (referenced earlier, maybe):

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13445436/1/american-calls-charlotte-best-hub-for-unit-revenue-but-frontier-looms.html

• Like 1

I see Frontier as a non-issue here. Sure, they are launching ORD/MCO/DEN but it isn't like those are high-yielding routes either. DEN makes sense because it is a hub for them. I'm willing to bet that MCO won't last. AirTran and Southwest have tried on multiple attempts to fly CLT-MCO and all have failed. The market they are going after would more than likely prefer to drive. Because CLT doesn't have the O/D levels of say DFW or IAH, it's unlikely they will  enter longer domestic flights and just stick to simple leisure routes. AA's high yielding routes from CLT, like SFO, won't be touched by Frontier.

• Like 1

On February 18, 2016 at 1:06 PM, HopHead said:

Just booked a trip for the fall. Delta is apparently offering a 2 for 1 deal on trips in September to NYC (LaGuardia) from CLT when compared to American. The routes are nearly identical.

Delta: $176

American: $355

I want to fly your planes American, but you're making that choice rather difficult! And yes, I did complain to them directly about that.

Is this deal stil active? How do you book it?

11 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Is this deal stil active? How do you book it?

It was not an actual deal from the carriers. It was just looking at the two airlines prices for the same routes and seeing the cost difference there. 

Edited by HopHead

31 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

American has applied to start nonstop flights from CLT to Cuba

AWESOME!

AA's application:

Havanna: Miami (10 daily), Charlotte (1 daily), Dallas (1 daily), Los Angeles (Once Weekly), Chicago (Once Weekly)

Additional from Miami: 2 daily: Santa Clara, Holguin, Varadero, 1 daily: Camaguey, Cienfuegos

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised, but I still highly doubt that CLT will receive a Havana flight just yet.

AA has prioritized all of their Havana flights. CLT is ranked #8, after the first 7 of the MIA-HAV flights. I bet AA is lucky enough to get 5 frequencies to Havana, all of which will go to MIA-HAV.

4 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

AWESOME!

AA's application:

Havanna: Miami (10 daily), Charlotte (1 daily), Dallas (1 daily), Los Angeles (Once Weekly), Chicago (Once Weekly)

Additional from Miami: 2 daily: Santa Clara, Holguin, Varadero, 1 daily: Camaguey, Cienfuegos

I wonder what aircraft this will before 10 daily flights. Could probably be the same plane with how short it is from Miami.