Wesley Heights Projects

715nchurch

yes, its called "The Burger Company", in that warehouse-y building on the wesley heights side of W. Morehead and Freedom. though I don't know when they're opening, they're already hiring and look to be pretty close to done with the upfit. i'm really excited to have something like this walkable from my office. hopefully it will be comparable to Big Daddy's.

given the huge success of Savor, i think we're about to see a lot of good things happen in this area. (the two newly-renovated spaces next to the Burger Company also appear to have SOMETHING going in, no idea what yet)

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Is the Pinky's deal over? Just saw an "Available" sign there that I did not remember seeing there before.

On another note looks like the Sprinter stop is going in at Arty/Morehead.

Pinky's deal is still on. The Available sign has been there the whole time. Last I heard was that the state wouldn't sign off on Pinky's building permit because of the location of the driveways (they have been in the same location for decades). My understanding is that W. Morehead & Freedom are both state controlled roads so the state has a say in the process. They are negotiating a solution and would like to get the resturant running ASAP.

A new restaurant, The Burger Company, is opening in a couple of weeks at Morehead Corners.

• 1 year later...

There is a rezoning meeting this week for a proposed project for the old Jesus Saves site at the corner of Wesley Heights Way and Duckworth. You are encouraged to attend if possible.

Meeting for Rezoning Petition No. 2011-025

Date: Thursday,3/24

Time: 6:30PM

Location:Wallace Pruitt Recreation Center, 440 Tuckaseegee Rd., Charlotte, NC, 28208

Project Description:

Wesley Heights Senior Housing is a proposed 40 unitsenior housing development to be constructed in Charlotte's Seversville neighborhood. The design and interior amenities of the proposed development are based upon similar senior communities constructed by the Housing Partnership. The development is proposed on a 1.5 acre subdividedportion of a larger 4 acre development owned by New Bethel Church.

The three story building will have the following:

· (27) One-Br Units / 630 sf.

· (13) Two-Br Units / 960 sf.

· Designed to meet Energy Starrequirements

· Covered drop-off at the buildingentrance

· Lobby with leasing office

· Community room

· Seating Porch

· Tenant storage

· Laundry room

· A computer room

· Seating Areas

· Raised garden plots

· And a walking trail

The proposed development is to be constructed in Charlotte's Seversville neighborhood and is approximately one mile from Charlotte's central business district. Some of the construction materials include fiber cement siding,stucco, architectural masonry base, vinyl windows and asphalt shingles.

When I was a very small kid (kindergarten age) , I lived on Grandin Road. I n those days it was very safe to walk downtown via West Trade Street. Things changed and it became extremely risky. I moved back to the area two years ago and am curious if it is honestly safe to walk from Wesly Heights, Seversville. and that area into downtown. How about at night? These areas are in great locations in regards to proximity to uptown Charlotte. Just curious for the sake of recommendations.

I would say that Wesley Heights proper is quite safe these days. The neighborhood watch is strong and the police have been very proactive in combating crime. As you get closer to Wesley Heights Way and W Trade it still gets pretty sketchy, especially around the Texaco/Marathon gas station (where someone was carjacked and shot last week, leading to a chase where an officer and alleged shooter were shot too), Bojangles, etc.

I haven't ventured over to Seversville in a while, but given the foot traffic on that side of Wesley Heights Way I'd say it is still pretty tough back there although some homes have been restored and more improvements are on the way.

Wesley Heights has become a great neighborhood (again) and all of my neighbors are very happy w/ where we live and excited about the future.

As for walking W Trade St, it is perfectly fine during the day and haven't seen anything too bad (relative I guess) during the evenings. I know JCSU is working on improving that corridor and have recently added Gold Rush service from 5 Points to Uptown. JCSU is also doing some building along W Trade and has a master plan to bring more re-development.

I would say that Wesley Heights proper is quite safe these days. The neighborhood watch is strong and the police have been very proactive in combating crime. As you get closer to Wesley Heights Way and W Trade it still gets pretty sketchy, especially around the Texaco/Marathon gas station (where someone was carjacked and shot last week, leading to a chase where an officer and alleged shooter were shot too), Bojangles, etc.

I haven't ventured over to Seversville in a while, but given the foot traffic on that side of Wesley Heights Way I'd say it is still pretty tough back there although some homes have been restored and more improvements are on the way.

Wesley Heights has become a great neighborhood (again) and all of my neighbors are very happy w/ where we live and excited about the future.

As for walking W Trade St, it is perfectly fine during the day and haven't seen anything too bad (relative I guess) during the evenings. I know JCSU is working on improving that corridor and have recently added Gold Rush service from 5 Points to Uptown. JCSU is also doing some building along W Trade and has a master plan to bring more re-development.

Thank you for the update. Of course back in the 50s and early 60s walking around Seversville or Wesley Heights wasn't even a thought and there was no need for community watches, although State Street was pretty rough at times. West Trade always has been a precarious area. It would be great if the police department could monitor and control the area more intensively between where Garr's Church was and Gateway. Guard towers might work on each corner? Just kidding, or am I?

Does anyone know exactly what Mosaic Village is? I believe it will be built at the Griffin Bros tire site, and will be apartments, but I don't know design, size, etc. I ask, because I saw a building permit for a parking deck for the project get filed.

Does anyone know exactly what Mosaic Village is? I believe it will be built at the Griffin Bros tire site, and will be apartments, but I don't know design, size, etc. I ask, because I saw a building permit for a parking deck for the project get filed.

Article here states a studio apartment complex call Mosaic Village next to their new visual and performing arts center teaching facility.

http://www.jcsu.edu/redesign/administration/president_office/newsletter/oct-09.htm

• 2 weeks later...

The Seversville Community and the Historic West End Partners are hosting an event to learn more about the Urban Cultural Arts District (West End Pedscape District 1).

John Howard,city planner and designer of the West End Land Use and Pedscape Plan will provide an in-depth session on the Urban Cultural Arts District. He will address the new Mosaic project along with his education Q&A session on the pedoverlay. The host site is the Wallace Pruitt Recreation Center.

Residents of Wesley Heights, Seversville and Biddleville-Smallwood are encouraged to attend. This is an opportunity to understand what is envisioned for thearea from Bojangles to Church's Chicken on W. Trade St. and to voice the things we desire and are willing to embrace.

Monday, April 11th at 6:30 in the Wallace Pruitt Center.

• 2 weeks later...

This rendering is hysterical. The artist has taken some pretty good liberties in extending Auten St passed Duckworth to W. Trade St and added a traffic light at that intersection.

Thats actually part of the plan... so I wouldn't call the rendering hysterical. The plan is to develop all of west trade from the Bojangles to the Churches Chicken, as well as the area in and around "5 points."

Thats actually part of the plan... so I wouldn't call the rendering hysterical. The plan is to develop all of west trade from the Bojangles to the Churches Chicken, as well as the area in and around "5 points."

Ok...funny then because there is no plan to extend Auten St. and no plan to add the light on West Trade.

No… funny because the way this is being referred to is “The area between Bojangles and Churches Chicken.” haha!

Haha, agreed, its not what I would be talking about, but thats just what everyone is saying... And as far as Auten goes, from what I've been told, it will be extended to w. trade.

• 2 months later...

Archived