Richmond International Airport

eandslee

I'm posting this just to show everyone why the $29 fares on Vision Airlines from Richmond to Freeport are way more than just $29 each way. I chose arbitrary dates in November and below are the cost breakdowns for both legs of the trip: Going to Freeport: Fare1.jpg Returning to Richmond: fare2.jpg Wow, lots of fees!

Wow, and I thought $600 in taxes on a $900 fare was bad...

• 2 weeks later...

The tourist information booth at the foot of the first set of escalators at the RIC Terminal is also near car rental desks.

So many people have mistakenly come to the tourist bureau when they really want to rent a car that our friend Flack has had his staff place a large banner at the travel desk identifying it as such. :)

I'll be doing my part to support the low-cost carriers in Richmond at the end of October. Booked RIC-Orlando on JetBlue and Orlando-RIC on AirTran. I almost always fly Delta, but the opportunity to fly nonstop (and at the same price as Delta would have charged me to make a connection) more than makes up for no free first class upgrades and the chance of getting delayed in Atlanta!

Just thought I would report back on how my flights were this past weekend to Orlando. I took JetBlue nonstop on Friday afternoon. The flight was completely full and was uneventful. 30+ channels of DirecTV was nice to have. I only paid $99 for this flight, so while the flight was full I don't know whether it was a "profitable" flight for JetBlue.

Yesterday evening I took the nonstop AirTran flight back. This flight was also 100% full and they were looking for 5 volunteers to fly back today. I only paid $109 initially for this flight but did pay $49 to upgrade to Business Class at check-in. This also allowed me to check my golf clubs for free (normally $20) so the upgrade was really good deal. The free booze, more comfortable seat, and the ability to get on the plane first and not fight for overhead bin space was also a real plus. Since my ticket was so cheap, I don't know whether AirTran made any money on the flight, but it was promising to see that both flights were completely full. Hopefully both airlines will stick around for a long time and eventually add some new destinations!

Vision Airlines left RIC on its first scheduled flight to the Bahamas with a very light passenger load.

I don't recall reading that Allegiant is serving RIC, but one of its flights is among those pictured.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...rom-ri/gallery/

You're right that Allegiant doesn't serve RIC, but they do serve Newport News. It was probably a diversion due to the weather.

Vision Airlines left RIC on its first scheduled flight to the Bahamas with a very light passenger load.

I don't recall reading that Allegiant is serving RIC, but one of its flights is among those pictured.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...rom-ri/gallery/

Only 22 passengers on a flight that can handle 137!? You've got to be kidding me - that sucks! Vision Airlines will be gone in a month or less if this keeps up! Heck, they've been practically giving flights away lately and it appears that no one is "biting." Not good at all! I'm very surprised. I expected at least half the plane to be filled. RIC has to be disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...

Despite disappointing air traffic figures at RIC, Avis has high hopes and is building a large maintenance facility to replace its out-dated operation.

No mention in the news story about the status of AirTran/Southwest at the airport.

From Peter Bacque at today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2011/nov/30/tdbiz01-october-passenger-traffic-falls-at-richmon-ar-1502347/

US Airways and Delta finalized their slot-swap agreement for Washington Reagan (DCA) and LaGuardia (LGA). US Air is giving a bunch of LGA slots to Delta and Delta is giving US Air a bunch of DCA slots.

The first changes to the schedules are starting to appear online. Delta is restarting RIC-LGA service beginning Sun. 3/25/2012. Looks like 5 flights a day on 50-seat regional jets (4x ERJ and 1x CRJ). Because of these additions, Delta is reducing its RIC-JFK flights from 5 to 3 times a day (all 50-seat CRJs) starting on 3/25/2012.

US Air hasn't updated their schedules yet, but I would expect to see them drop RIC-LGA completely. They will have such a small number of slots that they will likely use them to only their biggest markets (PHL, BOS, DCA, CLT, etc).

Hey Flak4Ric -- When are we going to get the capability to use electronic boarding passes at RIC?

The mobile boarding pass readers have been shipped to TSA Richmond. United (Continental) will be the launch airline at RIC. Should come online in early 2012. The system is nearly universal and used by airlines other than United (Continental), so it's not a stretch to expect that other airlines in Concourse B (CO/UA/DL/B6) could offer this option soon thereafter.

Flack4RIC

No mention in the news story about the status of AirTran/Southwest at the airport.

Our philosphy is pretty straightforward: it's the privilege of the air carrier to make announcements regarding service changes within their network. When AirTran/Southwest is ready to talk about this for the local market, they'll certainly have an attentive audience.

And we recognize this privilege again today with Delta's NYC announcements. We've known the general outcome for flights from RIC before the schedules starting popping up, but the airline offering the flights has the first right to break the news.

Flack4RIC

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on that "Southwest Effect" to take place in RIC. According to the Save Low Fares campaign, bringing SW Airlines could bring in a increased economic development and tourism standard to the region it is present in.

http://www.savelowfares.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3

http://www.savelowfares.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=5

I have been flying in and out of RIC with work, so hopefully my constant travels would bring that number up. Does anyone know when SW will finally come to RIC? I know Norfolk has it, and I know probably 30 or 40 people in the Metro that drive all the way to ORF to fly Southwest Airlines. Bringing SW could help them, and let us travel farther than just Minneapolis....

http://www.flyrichmond.com

It took more than a decade to get Southwest, but late is better than never! I'm so glad this is FINALLY happening! I really hope this bodes very well for RIC! Now if RIC can get some good direct flights to places out west, etc., I can see this being HUGE! People better use it though! If not, Southwest WILL go "bye, bye!" At that point, it will be over for RIC. This is Richmond's chance to prove they can support the one airline that it's been coveting for many years. Let's go Richmond!

I came across something of interest... There is a post on airliners.net which indicates Bahamasair has filed with DOT for service to RIC and a handful of other U.S. destinations...

http://www.airliners...d.main/5355393/

I think Vision Airlines ended up being subcontracted to do this or Vision Airlines ended up getting this route through another way (whether that is through a subcontract with Bahamasair or by some other way, I don't know).

Actually, RIC is not on the chopping block. According to Mike Boyd, a respected airline analyst who can be followed at www.aviationplanning.com, RIC would be a prime candidate for service to MDW and other points west. Being connected to the industry myself, I understand the rumors you are referring to. Airline staff enjoy predicting such things but rumors seldom pan out. Airtran is doing fine in RIC, not great, but doable. Southwest fully intended to fly into RIC but had a change in plans when Gary Kelley took over after Kelleher retired. Southwest began to target airports they had previously avoided, such as BOS and LGA. They still wanted RIC but the priorities shifted. Also, I believe RIC has actually outgrown Norfolk this year. Those numbers are available on Mike Boyd's website.

Oaktowntwinz had faith in Mike Boyd's prediction for RIC last August, and today's story by Peter Bacque in the RTD re-enforces Boyd's enthusiasm about Southwest operations at RIC.

It may take 12 to 15 months, but Southwest's entry into the Richmond market could mean direct flights to Chicago, Nashville and Las Vegas.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...t-a-ar-1654297/