Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Looks like United and Delta are back in talks to merge. I think that could actually help Richmond by opening up some more direct flights somewhere other than Atlanta.

Delta/United in Talks to Merge

According to CNBC, Delta has denied such talks took place. I guess we will see.

If anythig were suppose to happen, it had better before the next administration takes its place in the White House. Meaning if the Dems win the White House.

Edited by Shakman

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody seen the October figures for passenger traffic at RIC?

Norfolk experienced a very modest gain according to October figures released for ORF -- 308,355 this October compared to 308,327 in the same month of '06.

In the first 10 months of '07 ORF has boarded and deplaned a total of 3.14 million passengers.

Edited by burt

Has anybody seen the October figures for passenger traffic at RIC?

Norfolk experienced a very modest gain according to October figures released for ORF -- 308,355 this October compared to 308,327 in the same month of '06.

In the first 10 months of '07 ORF has boarded and deplaned a total of 3.14 million passengers.

They won't be released until the monthly meeting of the Capital Region Airport Commission... probably this coming week. Through September we were at 2.71+ million passengers. If October follows the YTD growth of +11%, we should see passenger counts over 330,000. This would put 07 YTD passenger traffic at around 3.05+/- million.

ANOTHER RECORD MONTH AT RIC! Richmond's airport usage exceeded Norfolk's in October.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...11-27-0202.html

Coupe was pretty much on target in his estimates. Through October, the airport has seen 3.04 million flyers, and with 326,000 travelers, the airport had the best October on record.

Edited by burt

But let's not get too big for our britches. ;) .

Apparently Air Tran favors Newport News/Williamsburg over Richmond. The line is adding a Tampa flight and possibly one to Vegas from the Peninsula airport.

Of course, this could be a competitive result of Jet Blue's announced interest in expanding service from RIC to Florida and "The West".

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-now-tamp...0,4022944.story

This Daily Press story is courtesy of our friend Merritt in the Williamsburg area who always posts enthusiastically on happenings in Central and Eastern Virginia.

Edited by burt

I'm glad I flew last month. otherwise RIC would have only seen 325,999 passengers.

Maybe you'll become a monthly frequent flyer in and out of RIC, 'mpar. :thumbsup: Nice to have you here at UP. Please chime in frequently with comments on any and all topics.

Eandslee, who we refer to as Eric, is our in-house Airport Enthusiast. I'm surprised he hasn't checked in to offer his analysis of the constantly expanding growth figures at RIC. He and his family must be occupied by holiday activities out in his home base of California.

Edited by burt

But let's not get too big for our britches. ;) .

Apparently Air Tran favors Newport News/Williamsburg over Richmond. The line is adding a Tampa flight and possibly one to Vegas from the Peninsula airport.

Of course, this could be a competitive result of Jet Blue's announced interest in expanding service from RIC to Florida and "The West".

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-now-tamp...0,4022944.story

This Daily Press story is courtesy of our friend Merritt in the Williamsburg area who always posts enthusiastically on happenings in Central and Eastern Virginia.

Who can't be enthusiastic about developments in our part of the world :thumbsup:

Here is a follow-up article from the Daily Press on how NNW will/has brought service to the area. My question is does RIC do the same thing?

Will Newport News bet on Las Vegas flights?

From the Daily Press

"The amount of the $600,000 AirTran gets depends on whether it meets certain revenue targets each month for the first year. If the airline falls short of its goals, the city pays the difference

Maybe you'll become a monthly frequent flyer in and out of RIC, 'mpar. :thumbsup: Nice to have you here at UP. Please chime in frequently with comments on any and all topics.

Eandslee, who we refer to as Eric, is our in-house Airport Enthusiast. I'm surprised he hasn't checked in to offer his analysis of the constantly expanding growth figures at RIC. He and his family must be occupied by holiday activities out in his home base of California.

Thanks. I have been lurking on this board for a long time and decided to contribute something. I don't fly often but will be flying again in December and, hopefully, January (if Virginia Tech makes the Orange Bowl).

more details on the October stats for RIC:

RIC has Another Record Month

check this out:

The low-cost carriers make travel at Richmond International affordable for larger numbers of people, officials say.

Travelers are taking advantage of the good deals, Bell said. For instance, AirTran's October traffic was up 31 percent compared with the same month a year ago.

Who can't be enthusiastic about developments in our part of the world :thumbsup:

Here is a follow-up article from the Daily Press on how NNW will/has brought service to the area. My question is does RIC do the same thing?

Will Newport News bet on Las Vegas flights?

From the Daily Press

"The amount of the $600,000 AirTran gets depends on whether it meets certain revenue targets each month for the first year. If the airline falls short of its goals, the city pays the difference

Sorry I haven't been around much guys. Just been super busy at work. It's wonderful to see the passenger results for the month of October! I have noticed that October was not a month of double digit growth compared to last year, which, I believe is the first in a very long while. Nevertheless, 8% growth is nothing to look down on. This is still good news for the airport. I'm growing impatient, but I know the announcements will come soon (I'm guessing around the first of the year) about JetBlue and its possible western destination(s) out of Richmond. I can definitely see Richmond doing the same as Norfolk with flights out to Las Vegas. I'm surprised it happened in Norfolk first actually due to how much faster Richmond International is growing. Then again, Norfolk traffic has been slightly higher than Richmond's lately. With that said, I don't see that lasting too long, especially if Richmond International continues its growth! I still think we have some very exciting days ahead at the airport, so let's be on the lookout! This is all good news for RIC and congratulations!

I can definitely see Richmond doing the same as Norfolk with flights out to Las Vegas. I'm surprised it happened in Norfolk first actually due to how much faster Richmond International is growing. Then again, Norfolk traffic has been slightly higher than Richmond's lately. With that said, I don't see that lasting too long, especially if Richmond International continues its growth! I still think we have some very exciting days ahead at the airport, so let's be on the lookout! This is all good news for RIC and congratulations!

N/S flights to Vegas started in Norfolk when Southwest initially started service down there. I hear that the flight is always full since Vegas is a connection hub for SW for those traveling to west coast cities. Southwest is currently the top airline at Norfolk right now and there are plans to expand. A 3rd Orlando flight is on their Spring08 schedule and rumors of an additional west coast city out of Norfolk are in the works once equipment transitions are complete.

My bet is it will be either (1)San Diego (2)LA (3)Phoenix (4)Another Vegas flight.

Newport News/Williamsburg is definitely catering to AirTran with the marketing incentives.

I have always wondered how much more passenger traffic Norfolk or Richmond would have if NN/Williamsburg did not exist. Considering that the Newport News airport is part of the "Hampton Roads" metro area.

N/S flights to Vegas started in Norfolk when Southwest initially started service down there. I hear that the flight is always full since Vegas is a connection hub for SW for those traveling to west coast cities. Southwest is currently the top airline at Norfolk right now and there are plans to expand. A 3rd Orlando flight is on their Spring08 schedule and rumors of an additional west coast city out of Norfolk are in the works once equipment transitions are complete.

My bet is it will be either (1)San Diego (2)LA (3)Phoenix (4)Another Vegas flight.

Newport News/Williamsburg is definitely catering to AirTran with the marketing incentives.

I have always wondered how much more passenger traffic Norfolk or Richmond would have if NN/Williamsburg did not exist. Considering that the Newport News airport is part of the "Hampton Roads" metro area.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, MicoMiles. Aren't you pleased by Richmond's numbers? :)

What do you hear in the pipeline about Jet Blue expansion at RIC?

Edited by burt

How much are you having to pay for your flight to Miami, mpar? And what airline and route will you take? I note JetBlue's usual non-stop fare RIC/FLL (Lauderdale) of $199 is $319 during this time frame.

JetBlue's flight to FLL went up 100 dollars from the middle of last week to Saturday. I may not even go. If I do, I'll post what I booked.

Huh? Flyover from where to where?

The Airport Authority has been looking to improved the traffic patterns where Airport Dr., the parking garage exits and the roadway to the terminal meet. The authority has taken a proactive approach to build a serious of flyovers in this area, in order to mitigate a potential hazzard and to prepare ahead at RIC's future growth. This preparation will avoid potential future traffic delays at this area as well.

From the RTD:

Record Growth Continues - November Traffic up over 7%

Richmond International Airport's passenger traffic was up more than 7 percent in November compared with November 2006.

RIC handled 311,031 travelers in November, a 7.2 percent increase over the same month a year ago, according to the Capital Region Airport Commision.

The month's passenger traffic extends RIC's run of record growth to 30 months