Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Well, I'm totally rattled. I would have sworn I read within recent months that US Air was planning to pull all its RIC flights out of LGA and turn over some LGA slots to Delta.

So, US Air will contunue serving LaGuardia, right?

I think you're right that US Air was going to close or reduce the frequency of a lot of destinations out of LGA and shift those planes to DCA. Not sure if RIC was part of that or not. But I would guess that whatever their plans were a few months ago are now going to change with the slot transaction with Delta falling through. If Delta does indeed pull out completely, I would be SHOCKED if US Air left too. US Air would have a monopoly on LGA from RIC and business travelers love LGA because it is so close to downtown. I wouldn't be surprised to see them raise fares to LGA because of Delta pulling out. They couldn't raise them too much as eventually people will just go to JFK or Newark, but I would expect prices to be higher than the $75 one-way fare I saw a little while ago.

Just as a FYI - I don't work for any airline or in that industry. I'm just an airline/plan geek who follows this type of stuff way too closely. So please don't think that anything I'm saying is fact. Just pure speculation on my part.

^I read something the other day that stated US Airways has plans to bump up service to NYC (La Guardia specifically). I think you are right crash in that the plans for them reducing service from RIC to LGA have likely fallen through since the gate swap with Delta was denied. With Delta pulling the plug you'll probably see USA possibly increase their service or even use some larger aircraft. If I'm not mistaken "The City" is far and away the biggest destination for Richmond travelers, as is the case with a lot of metro areas.

Edited by dbull75

^I read something the other day that stated US Airways has plans to bump up service to NYC (La Guardia specifically). I think you are right crash in that the plans for them reducing service from RIC to LGA have likely fallen through since the gate swap with Delta was denied. With Delta pulling the plug you'll probably see USA possibly increase their service or even use some larger aircraft. If I'm not mistaken "The City" is far and away the biggest destination for Richmond travelers, as is the case with a lot of metro areas.

Larger aircraft to LGA would definitely be nice. I believe all of US Airways' flights are on 50 seat CRJs with no first class. That would only be 300 seats/day to LGA which doesn't seem like enough to meet the demands. I could see US Airways putting a larger regional jet on the flights that operate at peak times (first thing in the morning as an example). I think their EMB-190 would be a good fit with 99 seats (including 11 first class), but I know they don't have many of them and are probably using them on the most profitable routes. I think a CRJ-700/900 or an EMB-170/175 would be the most likely if any increase would happen.

Larger aircraft to LGA would definitely be nice. I believe all of US Airways' flights are on 50 seat CRJs with no first class. That would only be 300 seats/day to LGA which doesn't seem like enough to meet the demands. I could see US Airways putting a larger regional jet on the flights that operate at peak times (first thing in the morning as an example). I think their EMB-190 would be a good fit with 99 seats (including 11 first class), but I know they don't have many of them and are probably using them on the most profitable routes. I think a CRJ-700/900 or an EMB-170/175 would be the most likely if any increase would happen.

Yea, I could see them putting in some of the EMB-170s or 190s at RIC. Those are actually pretty nice planes to fly. I'd think that the RIC-LGA would have to be a fairly profitable route for any airline.

Regarding NYC service, the newest schedule load (this has changed since the beginning of the week), shows Delta dropping LGA service at some point in November and fully committing to JFK for New York service with 4x/day frequency. Once this change occurs, RIC's peak daily outbound flights to the NYC-area look like this:

JFK

JetBlue, 2x/day on 100-seat E90 aircraft

Delta Connection, 4x/day (3x 50-seat ERJ + 1x 76-seat CR9)

EWR

Continental Express, 5x/day on 50-seat ERJs

LGA

US Airways Express, 7x/day on 50-seat CRJs

Given the axing of the US-DL slot swap and Delta's recent announcement about T4 at JFK, none of this is terribly surprising. It appears that DL will cease LGA operations for Richmond, Norfolk, Greenbriar, WV & Halifax, NS. The changes to these four markets, plus trimming conducted on the remaining 34 DL LGA destinations, represent a ~10% reduction in LaGuardia departures for Delta. The same four markets pick up new or additional Delta service from JFK.

Flack4RIC

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Flack4RIC

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FlyRichmond

Edited by flack4ric

I guess RIC will have to grow considerably before Applebee's and fast food stands are replaced by fine dining. :unsure:

Meanwhile LaGuardia and other big airports are experimenting with gourmet restaurants to assuage the boredom of delays and/or just waiting around.:thumbsup:

From an AP story in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2010/aug/21/b-togo21-ar-464789/

Flack, forgive my ignorance, but are the 4xday Delta Connection flights to JFK non-stop? I suppose the word "connection" is part of the carrier's name and not intended to suggest that one has to change planes.

Burt, the Delta Connection flights to JFK are non-stop. Delta Connection is just the name for the group of regional airlines flying the regional jets for Delta.

I think this story by Peter Bacque in today's RTD confirms what flack told us a few postings above, although Bacque doesn't dwell on the 7 daily flights to LGA from RIC. His story could almost convince one that when flying to NYCity after November 1st it's JFK, EWR or nothing.

http://www2.timesdis...rp25-ar-471400/

Edited by burt

The DOJ approved the combination of United and Continental Airlines today. http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/27/news/companies/United_Continental/index.htm?hpt=T1

The merger still needs to be approved by the shareholders, but I think it's a given that the approval will happen.

I wonder what effect, if any, this will have on Richmond? My guesses are:

- Less flights to Cleveland (currently have 3). The proximity of Chicago will probably result in Cleveland losing flights, and possibly go the way of Pittsburgh (US Air) and St. Louis (American) after they went through mergers. Hopefully we don't completely lose service, but nothing would surprise me.

- Bigger plane to Houston (currently on 50 seat ERJ-145). United has bigger, more comfortable regional jets that could be used (Continental does too, but they are props, and I don't know whether they even have the range for RIC-IAH). Or, depending on what the demand has been like, maybe throw an A319 or a Continental 737 on one of the peak demand flights similar to what United does to Chicago. United has a mix of 50 and 70 seat regional jets and 1 flight on an A319 to Chicago.

- I would also guess that United would move from their current location in the B concourse to where Continental is. There are a few free gates at the beginning of the B concourse that United could easily move to. There just isn't any free space near United right now, with Delta and JetBlue completely surrounding them.

Dave Barger, JetBlue's CEO, was in Raleigh Friday on a visit that is "part of his yearlong plan to visit all the airports and facilities this year where JetBlue operates as a way of marking the company's 10th anniversary."

He told Raleigh/Durham officials that JetBlue is considering adding flights from RDU to Austin, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale and San Juan, though he added such a decision could take as long as 3 years.

I hope he has, or will, visit RIC whilst celebrating JetBlue's 10th anniversary and pull one or two new destinations from his gift bag...like, maybe, Los Angeles or San Francisco or Las Vegas. :whistling: .

Edited by burt

RIC passenger volume droped 2% in July compared with figures from a year ago.

But JetBlue had its best month ever in Richmond, boarding and discharging 31,400+ passengers during July.

Take note, Mr. Barger. :)

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2010/aug/31/richmond-international-airport-traffic-dipped-slig-ar-481100/

Edited by burt

I flew on JetBlue for the first time this past weekend. It was easily the most comfortable I've ever been in coach seats. I wasn't cramped, I had lots of legroom, I had a TV and XM radio, and the flight attendants were very nice and polite. And the price for the one-way ticket to JFK was $49 before taxes ($62 after). Definitely glad I finally tried out them out.

I flew on JetBlue for the first time this past weekend. It was easily the most comfortable I've ever been in coach seats. I wasn't cramped, I had lots of legroom, I had a TV and XM radio, and the flight attendants were very nice and polite. And the price for the one-way ticket to JFK was $49 before taxes ($62 after). Definitely glad I finally tried out them out.

Exactly how I feel, though I wish they flew more places with better hours. My coworkers always try to give me crap for sticking with JetBlue (and AirTran when JetBlue is not available) rather than than Delta.

Looks like we won't be flying to NYC on JetBlue anymore... very very bad news.

Flack - this is your cue to chime in with some good news to balance it out.

Not sure I'm hitting the mark on your cue, but the fact is that RIC-JFK will cease operating at the end of Ocober. Ridership over the last several months has been consistent with JetBlue system averages, but fare levels indicate relatively few premium ticket sold on this route. Most premium ticket purchasers are business travelers, who have shown some reluctance to adapt ticket purchasing habits on some routes.

After JetBlue's exit from this route (the airline will continue to serve Boston 2x/day, and Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando daily), service to New YorK will look like:

US Airways: 7x/day LaGuardia LGA

Continental: 5x/day Newark EWR

Delta: 4x/day JFK

All service - per current viewable schedule - will be via 50-seat regional jets.

Flack4RIC

Not sure I'm hitting the mark on your cue, but the fact is that RIC-JFK will cease operating at the end of Ocober. Ridership over the last several months has been consistent with JetBlue system averages, but fare levels indicate relatively few premium ticket sold on this route. Most premium ticket purchasers are business travelers, who have shown some reluctance to adapt ticket purchasing habits on some routes.

After JetBlue's exit from this route (the airline will continue to serve Boston 2x/day, and Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando daily), service to New YorK will look like:

All service - per current viewable schedule - will be via 50-seat regional jets.

Flack4RIC

Sorry to be pessimistic, but it seems like JetBlue is on "life support" @ RIC :(

Take out the main hub (JFK) and everything else will eventually follow!

Flack4RIC

How is that going to work? JFK is their main hub and every flight I have taken on JetBlue has gone through there. Will they be routing more flights through Logan (even more out of the way)?

It's very sad to contemplate that only 50-seat puddle jumpers will make up the fleet of 16 daily flights to New York airports. AirTran, during its brief experience at LGA, and JetBlue destined to discontinue JFK service, at least used planes large enough to require jetways.

RIC may need to invest in a large supply of umbrellas to protect passengers loading and unloading on Richmond's tarmac during inclement weather.

It's very sad to contemplate that only 50-seat puddle jumpers will make up the fleet of 16 daily flights to New York airports. AirTran, during its brief experience at LGA, and JetBlue destined to discontinue JFK service, at least used planes large enough to require jetways.

RIC may need to invest in a large supply of umbrellas to protect passengers loading and unloading on Richmond's tarmac during inclement weather.

Burt, take comfort in the fact that everything changes and that the 50-seat regional jets, designed for a route just like Richmond-New York, are slowly being shed by carriers across the US. In an RJ, the flight time is less than one hour versus some routes where the same/similar aircraft is used for 3-hour trips. NYC is a short hop from Richmond.

Perhaps also of interest to you, at RIC Continental uses jet bridges for all flights (offering service to Newark, Cleveland & Houston).

Flack4RIC

• 2 weeks later...