Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Willow Lawn Shopping Center, between West Broad Street and Monument Avenue just west of Staples Mill Road is reconfiguring itself to its original open-air-life-style-center lay-out. During its glory years, The Willow Lawn Theatre was one of Richmond's prime movie houses. "The Sound of Music" enjoyed a two-year run there and it hosted many other first-run films prior to its demolition several years ago.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2010/nov/05/mall05-ar-632826/

It's not suprising. Kroger has been the dominant grocer on this side of the state for decades because they've constantly one-upping the competition. They tend to offer more variety than the upscale brands with similar quality and service, and they've even fought back against Walmart by pushing loss leaders and renovating stores.

Blue Ridge Mountain Sports just opened a new 8,300 s/f store in Town Center West. Based in Charlottesville, the company says Richmond is one of its best performing locations. The new store is next to Plaza Azteca Mexican restaurant which is also a new tenant at TCWest

Town Center West is just beyond Short Pump Town Center and has access to SPTC's ring road.

Since the opening of the Hilton Hotel, TCW has attracted several new retail stores and restaurants.

PASSO PER PASSO, a Swiss shoe boutique, has opened its first US store at Short Pump Town Center. It is on the second level next to Nordstrom.

Passo per Passo ("step by step") sells shoes and handbags made in Italy and will carry styles for men and women.

Note to StevenRocks: I'm sure you would like more info on this Swiss company. I don't know how to highlight portions of stories, so scroll down in Lou Llovio's BizBuzz column to "Short Pump Shoes"

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...zz29-ar-681347/

Also, note to 540_804: If you scroll down in this story to the end you can read all about your newest brain-freeze site at Main and Madison. :)

Edited by burt

What exactly are you hearing on Cinebistro?

I hope and pray that it revives that wing of Stony Point. I feel like there is a tipping point for malls after which they can't be pulled out of their death spiral and I'm hoping the Cinebistro is the first step in turning the retail side of that mall around.

Cinebistro is open in that wing now, which should draw more traffic and attract more tenants there. I've heard they are doing well so far.

Perhaps a few of the upper end shops will shift operations to Stony Point Fashion Park if Taubman pulls out of Regency Square.

If Cinebistro continues to do well with its entry actually within the center rather than facing the parking lots, traffic should pick up at the Dillards end of SPFP. I'm told that Saks Fifth Avenue, Brooks Brothers and other high end retailers do pretty well at the other end.

Burlington Coat Factory will open a third store in the Richmond market. It will occupy a former Dillards at Virginia Center Commons between US 1 (Brook Road) and I-95 near I-295 north of the city. The large shopping center had two Dillards but closed one of them some months ago.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-com-ar-704097/

Edited by burt