Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Beazer = Bummer. But there is some hope. Last I heard, there were not going to be ANY single-family homes in this development, so we shouldn't have to worry about them doing cookie cutter homes squeezed together on tiny treeless lots. Also, the plan I heard for this whole Morningside Village development is to create a pseudo-old town/Chicago-style urban-esque environment. Given that vinyl siding wasn't all the rage in 1930's downtown Chicago, one would think/hope that no-one (namely Beazer) will try to clad their buildings in vinyl siding. And, if they did try, hopefully it would be shot down.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beazer = Bummer. But there is some hope. Last I heard, there were not going to be ANY single-family homes in this development, so we shouldn't have to worry about them doing cookie cutter homes squeezed together on tiny treeless lots. Also, the plan I heard for this whole Morningside Village development is to create a pseudo-old town/Chicago-style urban-esque environment. Given that vinyl siding wasn't all the rage in 1930's downtown Chicago, one would think/hope that no-one (namely Beazer) will try to clad their buildings in vinyl siding. And, if they did try, hopefully it would be shot down.

I'm not sure how much I'd worry about Beazer at this, or many sites. I don't think anyone needs to be informed of their current problems, from the FBI to corporate execs being fired or resigning for various "issues". They are in "sell-a-thon" mode for other sites they own and many question if they will survive this OR if they will cut back drastically and regroup.

Not saying they won't be building here, but they are selling other properties/projects of theirs (Morehead across from the stadium being the largest) so it is quite possible that their involvement here is dated.

Hopefully the final product will be in scale with the rest of the neighborhood and provide a nice stroll district with independent restaurants and retail below a mixed range of housing. Combining that with Thomas St would help to enlarge a quirky area with one block to a real vibrant district. A chain invasion would be depressing. On that score I heard that Little Italy along Central has been sold and will become a Carrabas.

^ That's a bad sign for the dream of keeping the chains out of PM/Central! I don't know that I care if Little Italy goes away (don't eat there) but if it does I'd rather see dense development on that site fronting Central rather than a generic restaurant plopped down in a sea of asphalt.

On that score I heard that Little Italy along Central has been sold and will become a Carrabas.

I LOVE hole-in-the-wall restaurants, but Little Italy has been nasty every time I've eaten there. It almost tastes like canned food. That being said, I also hate to lose local places in exchange for chains. I'd personally be surprised if Carraba's would or could fit into that space. The demographics for a larger chain like that probably don't fit that area either in terms of what businesses they are surrounded by.

Hopefully the final product will be in scale with the rest of the neighborhood and provide a nice stroll district with independent restaurants and retail below a mixed range of housing. Combining that with Thomas St would help to enlarge a quirky area with one block to a real vibrant district. A chain invasion would be depressing. On that score I heard that Little Italy along Central has been sold and will become a Carrabas.

To add to that, the rumormill has it that Carrabas would likely tear down and build new, with at least one floor of condos/apartments on top.

***Sidenote: The McDonald's next to Little Italy is schedule to be closing next month. They're going to level the place and build a nicer McDonald's, possibly with a more pedestrian friendly layout on the site (making it more street-front in design). Would then re-open in October.

Would Carabba's really build there when they have a location so close in SouthEnd? I might have to call Little Italy and ask them about this. I would be shocked if Carraba's built there. And a wee bit sad (although the other poster was right about Little Italy - it's not the best, but hey, it's quick and cheap).

But wouldn't it be FANTASTIC if Portofino move there? Then we could walk! sigh.

And thank GOD the McD's is starting from scratch. It needs to. Let's hope the service will live up to the new digs.

I'm not sure how much I'd worry about Beazer at this, or many sites. I don't think anyone needs to be informed of their current problems, from the FBI to corporate execs being fired or resigning for various "issues". They are in "sell-a-thon" mode for other sites they own and many question if they will survive this OR if they will cut back drastically and regroup.

Not saying they won't be building here, but they are selling other properties/projects of theirs (Morehead across from the stadium being the largest) so it is quite possible that their involvement here is dated.

I didn't realize Beazer had sold that property along Morehead? We're talking about the property surrounding the Coffee Cup restaurant?

But wouldn't it be FANTASTIC if Portofino move there? Then we could walk! sigh.

There's already a Portofino's at Eastway and Central in the plaza with the Wal-Mart. So, it's highly doubtful they would buy up the Little Italy property. Although, I think it would make excellent buisness sense for them to close that location, and open a new one on Central, closer to Plaza, as their "eastside" location. It's pretty good food, and I'd probably frequent it more if it were in a less-skecthy location.

Also from the rumor mill: Possible plans to build a 3 - 4 story parking deck at Commonwealth and Pecan (where all the junky-looking Mercedes used to sit). It would provide much needed parking for that area, as it continues to grow with more retail/restaurant options (That new organic restaurant--don't remember the name, Petra's Piano Bar, The Graduate, and Jackalope's re-location)

Selling, not sold, but yes.

I didn't realize that. That's great news I think. I've wondered and wondered what Beazer would want with such an urban plot of land. I really hope someone buys it and drastically improves what's planned there.

**Sorry this is so off topic for this thread.

I didn't realize that. That's great news I think. I've wondered and wondered what Beazer would want with such an urban plot of land. I really hope someone buys it and drastically improves what's planned there.

**Sorry this is so off topic for this thread.

Those looking are also looking at MUCH higher density. Many are looking by the way.

There's already a Portofino's at Eastway and Central in the plaza with the Wal-Mart. So, it's highly doubtful they would buy up the Little Italy property. Although, I think it would make excellent buisness sense for them to close that location, and open a new one on Central, closer to Plaza, as their "eastside" location. It's pretty good food, and I'd probably frequent it more if it were in a less-skecthy location.

Also from the rumor mill: Possible plans to build a 3 - 4 story parking deck at Commonwealth and Pecan (where all the junky-looking Mercedes used to sit). It would provide much needed parking for that area, as it continues to grow with more retail/restaurant options (That new organic restaurant--don't remember the name, Petra's Piano Bar, The Graduate, and Jackalope's re-location)

I should have elaborated... I guess I assumed it would be understood thatwhat I meant was I would love for Portofinos to relocate to the Little Italy location. Any Midwoodian worth thier salt knows of the original Portofino's at Eastway Crossing. ;)

Edited by boochops

Back during the Aldi rezoning flap at Briar Creek in early 2006, a Merry Oaks resident asked Portofino's whether they were considering relocating. They said they couldn't because their lease wasn't up. Obviously, things might have changed since then, and the crowds that the grocery store draws next door with special promotions on some weekends certainly change the feel of the place.

But I get the feeling Portofino's is in the restaurant business, not the real estate business.

Whatever happens at the Little Italy location, I hope folks in the real estate business recognize that the culvert that runs under Central Ave. there is old, very old. And the infill development behind the location will increase the speed of runoff. Tearing up Little Italy's parking lot, adding some greenspace and a place to drink wine and eat calamari outside a la Lulu would be very welcome. Somehow, there should be a way to add greenspace and still use urban design.

A couple of notes:

I was by Little Italy today and it appeared they were taking core sample in the gravel lot on the west side of the building. I was scratching my head wondering what was up with that, only to log onto UP.org when I got home to find the answer.

Steel Haus is looking really good! Love the metal accents!

Great news about McD's and bummer about Beazer.............

These are interesting times!!!

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm the only one who's less-than-thrilled about Steelhaus. First off, for all of its "strong" exterior appearance (which I DO like and appreciate because it's not the typical Charlotte red brick), it's a stick-built project. Second, no matter how pretty they make the new McDonald's, it's still a McDonald's and Steelhaus is always going to look right down into its parking lot. I can picture myself as a Steelhaus resident lying in bed at night unable to sleep because A) the ceiling above my head is creaking because my neighbors are walking around on their floor and I can hear each and every one of their footsteps, and B) every 45 seconds I hear, "ssshhkk! Welcome to McDonald's. May I take your order?"

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm the only one who's less-than-thrilled about Steelhaus. First off, for all of its "strong" exterior appearance (which I DO like and appreciate because it's not the typical Charlotte red brick), it's a stick-built project. Second, no matter how pretty they make the new McDonald's, it's still a McDonald's and Steelhaus is always going to look right down into its parking lot. I can picture myself as a Steelhaus resident lying in bed at night unable to sleep because A) the ceiling above my head is creaking because my neighbors are walking around on their floor and I can hear each and every one of their footsteps, and B) every 45 seconds I hear, "ssshhkk! Welcome to McDonald's. May I take your order?"

Well as a developer we can build concrete and steel and you can pay 25-40% more for your unit but the question for any developer is if enough buyers will actually pay that... Some areas simply cannot support it or lenders will not lend or equity investors will not invest, etc.

And by the way, you can hear people walk overhead very well in concrete buildings which the residents made us very well aware of after move ins on the first Novarre tower in Atlanta. Concrete is good at stopping low sound but not so good at high note sound. Wood visa versa and wood can be made near silent with proper techniques at a fraction of the cost of going to concrete.

Brian

Well as a developer we can build concrete and steel and you can pay 25-40% more for your unit but the question for any developer is if enough buyers will actually pay that... Some areas simply cannot support it or lenders will not lend or equity investors will not invest, etc.

And by the way, you can hear people walk overhead very well in concrete buildings which the residents made us very well aware of after move ins on the first Novarre tower in Atlanta. Concrete is good at stopping low sound but not so good at high note sound. Wood visa versa and wood can be made near silent with proper techniques at a fraction of the cost of going to concrete.

Brian

Brian....thanks for the comments. I was tempted to go on about our extensive sound attenuation and the economics behind frame vs. concrete, etc. "Me thinks thou dost protest too much" came to mind though. We have a dozen frame projects behind us. Never a sound complaint.

If anyone can point to a first generation concrete frame building below $285/SF, sign me up for all of them. Ours start around $214 a square.

As to the McDonald's observation, I can't argue the location....not our best ever, but hey....you can walk to your breakfast burrito :o (and there will be a wall of plantings separating us from them). Additionally, the 3 phase lines you see currently service the McD's will be buried as part of their reopening.

The site also just catches the edge of a QCT which makes the financing more attractive for those who need it most.