Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Not necessarily... there's nothing stopping a developer from making affordable condos available, which is something that should be in the mix. It simply means that there is a strong demand for living in the city, which is a good thing. People moving into the city with money and disposable incomes isn't a bad thing in my book!

Why are some of Monroe Properties' places vacant? The condos on Broad look good but they are empty from what I could see. And in Jackson Ward, those houses are still empty. I wouldn't mind living in one of those... but... they are EXPENSIVE!

Do you mean the new townhouses at 1919 E Broad?

Thanks for mentioning Monroe Properties though... I'm glad to see that the website has been updated with some of the progress Robin Miller is making in Old Manchester. Can't wait to see the final master plan for the area.

Coupe, would you post that website so I don't have to dig back thru the archives?

Yeah I can imagine myself at home at either Jackson Commons or 1919... just need to start playing the lottery. They look cozy... but I like the floor plan of the Jackson Commons houses better.

Those townhouses at 1919 Broad are nice but they are ridiculously expensive. If I remember correctly, they were like $450k or so.

On an unrelated note, it looks like there is gym moving into Shockoe Slip next to the new furniture store there on Cary. I can't imagine who would work out there -- downtown business people have gyms already (particularly with the B of A gym that supposed to open) and most people living in the Bottom/Canal area have free gyms in their buildings -- but it's good to see someone taking over the space. It's still fairly empty around there.

Those townhouses at 1919 Broad are nice but they are ridiculously expensive. If I remember correctly, they were like $450k or so.

On an unrelated note, it looks like there is gym moving into Shockoe Slip next to the new furniture store there on Cary. I can't imagine who would work out there -- downtown business people have gyms already (particularly with the B of A gym that supposed to open) and most people living in the Bottom/Canal area have free gyms in their buildings -- but it's good to see someone taking over the space. It's still fairly empty around there.

And someone finally opened up in one of those innumerable empty renovated storefronts around the farmers market. It's a tea bar and health food supplement sort of place right next door too Papa Ningos.

Also the ugly buildings on Main at 21st are getting some work done (on the block with Honey Whytes). They have removed the plywood over the windows and installed new windows and doors. It looks like they are still framing out the inside of the three separate storefronts (this is that painted gray/black building with a sign that, I think, says something about diesel engine parts). This space has been empty for quite some time.

nice updates! thanks!

Do you think Havanna 59 will open soon?

This is :offtopic: hahaha, but somone on RCW says Havana 59 has lights on inside and the marquee says "opening soon".

And while we're talking restaurants, someone sent me the April 2006 RTD Dining Guide. There is an ad for Papa Ningo with a picture that makes the place look very colorful and attractive.

Edited by burt

I think The Shockoe Slip Organization realized that empty storefronts discourage investment and have begun attracting tenants generally not found in the area. The furniture store and the new gym are a move in the right direction, IMO. Perhaps Slip property owners are lowering their rents in order to attract respectable businesses.

I was very saddened to learn that the jazz club, Fusion, on South 12th Street has closed. Perhaps it could relocate to a more prominent location in one of the shuttered shops along Cary Street. The corner store at Cary on the Slip that at one time housed Laura Ashley would be a great location.

Incidentally, I believe I heard that the former Fusion building has been leased. Can anyone verify that?

I believe the Slip should be a blend of high end retail and entertainment. How about shops similar to those in NY's SOHO offering daring styles not found elsewhere in the City?

Steven, do you have any comments and suggestions?

Edited by burt

I was very saddened to learn that the jazz club, Fusion, on South 12th Street has closed. Perhaps it could relocate to a more prominent location in one of the shuttered shops along Cary Street.

Relocation would only help if it was to an out-of-state location. The biggest problem for a venue such as Fusion is that it's forced to either be a restaurant and jazz club, or severly limit (or eliminate) alcohol sales. As long as Virginia has such archaic ABC laws, small music clubs are always going to have an uphill battle.

Is it still a 50/50 proposition with ABC in Virginia?

You'd think Wilder would lobby to allow a more favorable ratio as well as extended closing hours in downtown.

On the other hand, if food sales requirements are so strictly imposed how do Clubs like Have-a-Niceday, Tiki Bob's, Element, Alley Katz and Canal Club thrive? I'm sure most people don't go to those places to eat. And how on earth will Toad's and The National survive?

Edited by burt

Is it still a 50/50 proposition with ABC in Virginia?

You'd think Wilder would lobby to allow a more favorable ratio as well as extended closing hours in downtown.

On the other hand, if food sales requirements are so strictly imposed how do Clubs like Have-a-Niceday, Tiki Bob's, Element, Alley Katz and Canal Club thrive? I'm sure most people don't go to those places to eat. And how on earth will Toad's and The National survive?

I am fairly certain that many 'restaurants' cook their books, or officials look the other way. Who goes to the canal club or alley cats or any of these places and orders a meal. At most, a small percentage of patrons get barfood (fries, appetizers etc) and might spend at most $10 on food. The average patron pays a cover and buys drinks, quite a few of them, probably spending an average of $25-30 on things other than food, making a 50/50 ratio laughable. Maybe there are more options for abc licenses than we are aware of. I don't see how canal club could even claim 10 % food income.

I don't recall the specific numbers (and don't have time to research right now), but the ratios are different for establishments with full-bar licenses versus beer/wine-only licenses (it's not 50/50 for either scenario). Alley Katz, for example, has a beer/wine license, so they don't have to meet nearly the sales that, say, Canal Club does. But you're right in that there's a lot of creative accounting going on. One club owner I know will often "sell" bands dinner for the night to pad out his food requirements. Some places simply grease palms.

My longtime favorite place in town, the late, great Hole In The Wall, got bit many times for not making their minimum food sales. They often packed the house for bands and made money hand over fist on alcohol sales, but at least twice went from full bar to beer/wine only, before finally throwing in the towel because it was too much hassle.

Toad's & The National will probably be fine. They're big enough places that, if there's a problem, they can grease the right palms. It's the little guys like Fusion and Hole in the Wall that really get hurt.

I One club owner I know will often "sell" bands dinner for the night to pad out his food requirements.

As someone who has played in a band at many bars in virginia, including Alley Katz, Canal Club, BW3s and Cary St. Cafe, I can say with certainty that the owners are very eager to give the bands, and sometimes roadies/friends of the band free or half price food. I think they put in the books that they charge the bands full price for the food and subtract that money from their bottom line (as if we were paid that money by the club and then spent it on the food). That would make a difference, especially at places that have bands every night.

BGW, as I recall Fusion was a three-level restaurant with a cellar where a comedy club used to operate and where jazz was offered. There was plenty of room to feed a lot of people on the first and second floors. Maybe those guys weren't too savvy about marketing.

Or worse scenario, maybe they used the wrong grease!

Edited by burt

BGW, as I recall Fusion was a three-level restaurant with a cellar where a comedy club used to operate and where jazz was offered. There was plenty of room to feed a lot of people on the first and second floors. Maybe those guys weren't too savvy about marketing.

Or worse scenario, maybe they used the wrong grease!

I've never been in the building, so I don't know what the setup might have been. But even if there is plenty of space for a full-blown restaurant, the problems that brings along with it often aren't worth the hassle.

As someone who has played in a band at many bars in virginia, including Alley Katz, Canal Club, BW3s and Cary St. Cafe, I can say with certainty that the owners are very eager to give the bands, and sometimes roadies/friends of the band free or half price food. I think they put in the books that they charge the bands full price for the food and subtract that money from their bottom line (as if we were paid that money by the club and then spent it on the food). That would make a difference, especially at places that have bands every night.

Exactly- I've eaten many slices of Alley Katz "Hot-Ass Pizza" in the past, and paid for exactly none of them.

This is :offtopic: hahaha, but somone on RCW says Havana 59 has lights on inside and the marquee says "opening soon".

I took a walk down to the Bottom this evening, and they had the windows open @ Havana 59. The interior looks ready to open, down to candles and condiments on tables.

On a related note, being on foot allowed me to get a closer look at a lot of spaces. There's a TON of renovation underway on 17th (b/w Main & Franklin), Franklin (b/w 17th & 19th) and Main (b/w 18th & 23rd).