Your thoughts on Columbia

Hi. I love to talk about Columbia because it's one of the hidden gems of the South. Unfortunately, that is also its downfall. After living in Columbia for 9 years then moving to Clemson for school it was amazing to see how many people put the city down. When I started to ask people's perception of Columbia it ranged from sarcastic laughter (when I said how great it was) to more than one person using the word "dirty" to describe it.

My opinion on Columbia is that even though most residents enjoy living there, it's pretty slack in working hard towards a good self image. For example, when coming up for a new slogan for the city, a friend of mine's firm offered to come up with an entire media package (signage, logo, colors, etc...) to market the area. Unfortunately, Columbia only wanted a slogan, nothing more. The bare minimum please.

So, why do I think Columbia is this way? Because they don't have to try. Just like being in State government, you can get by with doing the minimum. What industries drive our city? USC, Fort Jackson, and the Government. All of these are industries that do not have to offer an attractive lifestyle, tax breaks, or other incentives to get them there (well, maybe Fort Jackson, I'm not sure) because we're coasting along just fine.

Now..this is my opinion, but I don't like it at all. Please don't think that I'm a lazy girl living in a lazy city. I'm just observing.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iv'e seen this type of thread and it's success on other sites including this one, so I figured what the hay!

Despite being the fastest growing large metro (excluding Myrtle Beach and Rock Hill) during the 90's, and one of the fastest growing in the state as of today (Lexington, Kershaw, Richland all top 10 counties in % growth) Columbia doesn't seem to get credit for what it has accomplished, or for what it is working towards. In all my years growing up there I have not seen as much progression as I have seen there within the past ten years (consistant DT developments, Convention Ctr & hotel, USC research campus, ambition to be a hydrogen research center, two new skyscraperes within years of each other, Colonial Center, USC baseball park, development of the Vista, constant top 50 rating of who's who of American cities from 00-05, etc). There is alot of positive energy going through the capital city, yet somehow it isn't acknowledged for its accomplishments such as Charleston, Myrtle Beach or even Greenville. Is it that we in Columbia have been so use to being the big dog on the block that we expect things of things nature to occur at a whims notice, or is it something else going on? This has been a question that's been on my mind for a while now. I'm just curious what are your thoughts on Columbia, past, present, or future?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a native African American of SC, I last visited Columbia in 1998 and stayed with relatives on Holmes Ave. near Columbia College. I'm probably a bit spoiled [now] having lived in San Francisco for nearly 25 years [over half of my life], but Columbia was quite different than from how I remembered it as a boy from little Florence county. The City looked bigger, faster with too many cars and fast food restaurants! Seems we had to get in the car to drive everywhere. Where I was staying there no neighborhood mom & pop corner stores and coffee houses like here in SF, and nothing was in walking distance. I could not figure out Columbia's strange bus system and of course I couldn't ask my relatives who only drive in their big fancy cars and have never taken public transportation. And I have nothing against God or church but in the AfricanAmerican community of Cola that I visited, there was much focus on church. A church that lasted almost all day; then dinner/lunch in a cafeteria that my aunt thought was cool is not my idea of fun! or a good time! or cool!

On my own, I discovered Five Points and liked that area best. Main Street is impressive and handsome. But where were all the people? Just cars and cars. Columbia needs more diversity IMO, less cars, sprawl, and a bigger airport. I cannot stand a small commuter jet that flew me into Columbia from Charlotte. So now after I reach Charlotte from SFO, I have relatives pick me up there since they so love to drive and cannot imagine how I surve without a car in San Francisco...

Overall Columbia is a beautiful city. But I think that after the natives that I met [in Columbia] see more of the world and other cultures, it might improve or even change their narrow attitudes and make Columbia a more desirable place to live...

It's funny listening to everyone's opinion on Columbia, such as how certain things are appealing to some and not others. For example, I can get behind those who want a cleaner city with more downtown activity and more opportunities. But I (for one) enjoy the slower pace of life in the south. That's appealing to me. I also am proud of the traditional, conservative ideals that many people of South Carolina share. As a Christian citizen of Columbia, I'm happy that I possess a common thread with many others here. It's very regrettable that so many are only "Sunday Morning Chrisitians" or maybe "polite southern Christians." Well, enough of that. Back to the topic -- I think that marketing for Columbia could definitely do better, or actually exist in the first place. I think revitalization MUST continue downtown, with more and more development geared toward downtown living. I think unique and exclusive restaurant/entertainment options should exist downtown; appealing things that you have to go downtown to do. Bars and fast food joints are a dime-a-dozen. We need more orchestra concerts, general concerts, original restaurants, unique shopping, walkable streets etc... oh, and people. I was just thinking the other day. When the convention center hotel is complete, beginning at Blossom St, we will have the following: The Strom Thurmond Fitness Center, The Carolina Coliseum, Coliseum Parking, The Koger Center, The School of Music, The Colonial Center, the new baseball stadium (2007), the new School of Public Health, the Convention Center, The Convention Center Hotel -- all adjacent to the already highly developed part of the Vista. Someone needs to be thinking real hard about what to do with that old fire station and the lot where the HOC hotel stands. A few shops/restaurants and places to live, and that whole area I just mentioned could be pretty awesome. People at hockey games, basketball games, baseball games, concerts, along with people at the convention center & soon-to-be hotel would have access to wealth of things to do and places to go. There's a tremedous potential for a LOT of foot traffic in that area. Does anyone see this besides me? Combine all this with the current Vista expansion on Lady St and we have something rolling. And, hopefully there's more and more housing coming. I also think that the sooner downtown begins to thrive, the sooner we may see one of those 30 to 40-story skyscrapers we're all hoping for.

Wow... I know this isn't a new perception -- and I think it's true -- but the fact that being in the Bible Belt is viewed as a negative really says something about the failure of the church in North America. I'm not trying to make this a religious discussion, but wouldn't it be nice if that concept conjured up -- instead of bigotry, rigid religion, and hypocrisy -- thoughts of compassion, creativity, free spirituality, and acceptance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm right with you. Trust me, I don't think having religion is a bad thing, far from it. I suppose the negatives come with other characteristcs that are associated with the 'Bible Belt', which have been documented before.

I enjoy the slower pace of the south, and the uniqeness that daily life has here. It's easy to live here day to day, and my overall stress level is lower here than in other cities.

On my own, I discovered Five Points and liked that area best. Main Street is impressive and handsome. But where were all the people? Just cars and cars. Columbia needs more diversity IMO, less cars, sprawl, and a bigger airport. I cannot stand a small commuter jet that flew me into Columbia from Charlotte. So now after I reach Charlotte from SFO, I have relatives pick me up there since they so love to drive and cannot imagine how I surve without a car in San Francisco...

However, I agree that Columbia is threatening to go down a path that may kill that laid back pace, and turn the city into a gridlock. I love Atlanta, but I cringe every time I have to get somewhere within the city. It's like going out to battle. Wouldn't mass transportation lend itself nicely to foster the slower pace that many here enjoy? Make a trolly ride around downtown an enjoyable experience. You get there when you get there.

You simply cannot survive without a car here. Too bad, IMHO. I took the hour+ Caltrain ride from SF to work in Santa Clara when I lived there, and it was worth the trouble. Sure, its easier to jump in your car and drive, but i guarantee your stress level will be higher (unless you miss the last train :o ).

Hi.  I love to talk about Columbia because it's one of the hidden gems of the South.  Unfortunately, that is also its downfall.  After living in Columbia for 9 years then moving to Clemson for school it was amazing to see how many people put the city down. When I started to ask people's perception of Columbia it ranged from sarcastic laughter (when I said how great it was) to more than one person using the word "dirty" to describe it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing you have to consider about Clemson is that they hate Columbia because of USC. They like their cow pastures and bright colors, which is fine. :)

Someone needs to be thinking real hard about what to do with that old fire station

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I think it should be preserved. You could do some cool things with it. There is a petition to save it. You should call the DDRC if you are interested.

A few shops/restaurants and places to live, and that whole area I just mentioned could be pretty awesome.  People at hockey games, basketball games, baseball games, concerts, along with people at the convention center & soon-to-be hotel would have access to wealth of things to do and places to go.  There's a tremedous potential for a LOT of foot traffic in that area.  Does anyone see this besides me?  Combine all this with the current Vista expansion on Lady St and we have something rolling.  And, hopefully there's more and more housing coming.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your not the only one that sees the potential for tremendous foot traffic in the Vista. The way it is expanding (beyond Gervais) I see it developing into something like Tampa's Y'bor city before its all said and done. I also think with the research campus development we will see alot more vista traffic (foot and otherwise) to come.

When the convention center hotel is complete, beginning at Blossom St, we will have the following: The Strom Thurmond Fitness Center, The Carolina Coliseum, Coliseum Parking, The Koger Center, The School of Music, The Colonial Center, the new baseball stadium (2007), the new School of Public Health, the Convention Center, The Convention Center Hotel -- all adjacent to the already highly developed part of the Vista...  I also think that the sooner downtown begins to thrive, the sooner we may see one of those 30 to 40-story skyscrapers we're all hoping for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! Capital City has much going on! With all of this, downtown will be the place to be. I, too, would love to see several 30 to 40 story skyscrapers in Columbia. The skyline looks great, but it's boxy and needs a two taller towers in the middle with a crown...or maybe a building shaped like the Citicorp in New York, which is one of my favorite skyscrapers...

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

with innovista taking shape, and usc working with these foreign companies. were are about to see columbia finally get into the market it should have been with charlotte.winning over big developments and experiencing a population boom. were only couple steps away

I grew u p in Columbia, then lived most of my life in Los Angeles and San Francisco. I now live in Palm Springs, CA. On recent visits to Columbia, I have been really impressed with the activity and development of what I believe will be an emerging city: culturally, business wise and creatively. I would like to move back to Cola and be a part of what is happening. Watching a city grow up and hopefully not making as many mistakes as so many other cities have done.

Welcome to the forum pricemiller!

I think one of the things working in Columbia's favor is that because it has not experienced its "boom" yet, like such cities as Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh, it is able to learn from those cities' successes and failures. Also, because there is still a lot of land to be developed downtown, the city can take advantage of the "new urbanism" movement and create projects that are highly sustainable, pedestrian-friendly, environmentally friendly, etc. With all of Columbia's advantages, if it were the size of many of the larger cities in the South, there would be absolutely NO QUESTION that the city would be a clear leader in many respects.

I have stated before it all starts with your leaders. Do they want to challenge the status quo or do they want to make a bold step. forget about how the city is located between this city and that city. Each of those cities made their minds up(leaders) long ago to make a bold step and not think about who their neighbors are. From the passion in this thread I know columbia will not be a bedroom or a Charlotte alternative. So therefore what can you give the world that is not there already. Or what can you take and make better. Good example is Las Vegas has openend a world furniture marketplace that is challengeing High Point for dominance in the furniture expositions. Now High Point might just have to settle for the largest furniture show on the east coast but the verdict is still out and it will be a fight.

Exactly, that is what Columbia is trying to do with the whole hydrogen angle. Granted it may not end up as the marquee city to go to on the subject but then again there is more than one successful "biotech" city San Diego, Boston, Austin, NOVA, & Raleigh/Durham. Columbia is trying to set itself apart from regional peer cities in this aspect and I'm sure it will be successful!

I have stated before it all starts with your leaders. Do they want to challenge the status quo or do they want to make a bold step. forget about how the city is located between this city and that city. Each of those cities made their minds up(leaders) long ago to make a bold step and not think about who their neighbors are. From the passion in this thread I know columbia will not be a bedroom or a Charlotte alternative. So therefore what can you give the world that is not there already. Or what can you take and make better. Good example is Las Vegas has openend a world furniture marketplace that is challengeing High Point for dominance in the furniture expositions. Now High Point might just have to settle for the largest furniture show on the east coast but the verdict is still out and it will be a fight.

What we have that not many cities have is a greenway along the river creating a beautiful buffer for the public's enjoyment between development and the river. Anyone who lives on the river will have the public walking between them and the river along our greenway. This is as it should be. Eco-tourism is now the largest category of tourism there is. And the University of South Carolina is a national leader in building green (earth friendly) buildings and green space now. Their new innovation district (research campus) will extend to the river, except that the greenway will run between the edge of the innovation district and the river. With the Three Rivers Music Festival moving to both sides of the river, our city will be show-cased as never before, because that area affords the most "river city" view there is in Columbia. The Gervais Street Bridge, the river and the charming, colorful and balanced downtown skyline will be the perfect visual compliment to what will now truly turn into a signature event (Notice I didn't say the signature event) for Columbia.

Really big things are happening in Columbia right now. I'm actually watching the city jump to another tier. Houses and condos are sprouting up on almost every side of the city, Alot of construction going on downtown. Harbinson Area is booming, Lake Muarry Dam has added more lanes because of the Lexington Growth. The whole NE is growing like wild fire. The Convention center with a planned Hilton Hotel. And were getting a Ruth Chris :) . And just to let the people know who are not familiar with Ruth Chris. They DON'T just put those anywhere. The city is coming along fine!!

• 2 months later...

I grew u p in Columbia, then lived most of my life in Los Angeles and San Francisco. I now live in Palm Springs, CA. On recent visits to Columbia, I have been really impressed with the activity and development of what I believe will be an emerging city: culturally, business wise and creatively. I would like to move back to Cola and be a part of what is happening. Watching a city grow up and hopefully not making as many mistakes as so many other cities have done.

The USA has experienced parity amongst its largest 100 cities. All the same stores, restaurants, TV channels, etc. In 50 years all large cities in the world will look the same.

Columbia sure beats the heck out of LA if you have a family to raise. OTOH, the folderol about a "boom" in Columbia shows people are willing to hype any change. The exhorbitant tax rate in Richland County when weighed against the pay rates means most everyone with promise has to leave Columbia for a decent career. There will never be a boom with that situation. While many American cities are almost booming, Columbia is changing very little. My friend recently moved back to Los Angeles from Shanghai and tells me in Shanghai every direction you look you will see new skyscrapers being built. That's where the boom is and the protracted destruction of the textile businesses in SC is a big part of why "jobs gone" from SC.

Despite the economic depression the city officials and the county officials are still running a plantation-style government where all proceeds go into the pockets of the officials. Since there is not alot of cash flowing, the result is a continually depressed economy. In fact, when driving back across the country I thought Columbia was probably the poorest large city I went though along I-10 (save the view over into Jaurez - now that's real problems and makes Columbia look like heaven).In Columbia Mexicans are not doing the manual labor: my former high school friends both black and white are happy to have the work!

On a positive note, with no boom comes no collapse so you can rest assured Columbia will be close to identical to iteself 20 years from now unless someone with some real cash makes a business investment. Of course, Gates and others are dumping $Billions into India instead of USA cities so that's where the growth is.

Consider this, my house in Columbia appreciated about 10% in six years. (Actually depreciated 20% if you include the home improvements!) In India property is doubling per year or even per six months where the money is being invested. In CA the property appreciates 10-20% per year. In Raleigh, my house has even appreciated in 6 months (Cary). The same house in Columbia that costs $100k costs ~$200k in Cary, NC and $500k in Torrance, CA and $600k Los Angeles.

Also, people in Columbia are not focused on money like most of the rest of America. If you want to find some people who seek personal values and especially God then you'll do well to start looking in Columbia.

Finally, Columbia is becoming a very segregated city and this saddens me to see. This is normal for San Francisco etc. where the Indians all live in one city, the Chinese all live in the West, etc. but is was not historically normal for Columbia. Now whites are concentrating in Lexington and Blacks are concentrating in East Columbia. Segregation is generally not good but at least does give opportunity for each group within the area. For instance, a Chinese barber who doesn't speak English can work fine in West San Francisco. Likewise, my friend told me of all the cities where he has contracted that he feels African Americans have more upward mobility in Columbia that anywhere else. That's alot given the sparse career opportunities in Columbia.

There are a few reasons I left Columbia:

1) Revenuers instead of police. Ticket traps all over the place but forget about if someone steals from you.

2) Extreme auto taxes.

3) Very limited job opportunities.

4) Hidebound population closed to different lifestyles, very judgemental of others, and nio drive for greatness

There are a few reasons I would not relocate to Columbia:

1) See above

2) No efforts to reduce tax loads.

3) City development is dominated by SCANA and a few other heavy-weights including real-estate developers.

4) Corrupt government means education will never improve. New property taxes for schools went to build the Richland County Courthouse. New money from the Lottery has also evaporated. Heck, SC lost a lawsuit for some of its own schools becasue the students did not even have books!

Here are a few reasons to locate to Columbia:

1) Very cheap housing

2) Very cheap labor including educated and skilled labor

- This cannot be over-stated. Given the dearth of career jobs, you have your pick of the litter.

- Median pay rate is 2/3 of the national rate and 1/2 of most other large cities.

3) Good work ethic in many areas

4) Government encourages business development with lenient licensing fees, restrictions, etc.

5) All the power, water, etc. reliability or more than other typical USA cities. E.g. power almost never goes out downtown. E.g. in-ground fiber Internet loop.

6) Fairly close to major port (Chas). Served by rail.

7) Overall healthy environment versus pollution towns like LA where you have 10x more probability of your workers getting cancer etc.

8) Very good tech school system. Good Universities and colleges.

9) Consistently top 10 in the nation public high schools as graded by SAT scores (i.e. Dutch Fork etc.)

10) Got rid of the yearly auto inspection hassle/scam.

Some things that could be of benefit to Columbia as it grows.

1) Just starting to turn into islands (Lex, NE, WCola, Cola). Some effort in unification and leveraging effort for the arts and other activities is needed. I noticed in LA it is not a mega city but 20 or so large cities side by side. People from Columbia are more likely to go to something in Charlotte or Charleston than people in Arcadia to go to something in Manhattan Beach. Columbia Metro needs to plan the road and the development to continue to foster economies of scale rather than fiefdoms as is typical of most metropolises.

2) Lack of prejudice against asians, hispanics, etc. People in Columbia generally make no distinction about race other than black and white and those lines are generally blurred anyways. People in Columbia are more likely to make judgements based on area of Columbia or area of the USA one if from than based on race.

- Interesting to note that people in Columbia have different accents based on region of the metro. Unlike CA where everyone has the same accent as most every actor has except for the recent immigrants.

3) Church civic responsibilities. Cooperative Ministries and other organizations save and restore lives ona regular basis while in many places the city is burdened with this task.

4) Brave police. Unlike the LA riots, Columbia and Richland county police are will to risk their lives for the safety of others. Also, people in Columbia often have an underlying (not egocentric) moral code and so will often assist police.

My thoughts.

What we have that not many cities have is a greenway along the river creating a beautiful buffer for the public's enjoyment between development and the river. Anyone who lives on the river will have the public walking between them and the river along our greenway. This is as it should be. Eco-tourism is now the largest category of tourism there is. And the University of South Carolina is a national leader in building green (earth friendly) buildings and green space now. Their new innovation district (research campus) will extend to the river, except that the greenway will run between the edge of the innovation district and the river. With the Three Rivers Music Festival moving to both sides of the river, our city will be show-cased as never before, because that area affords the most "river city" view there is in Columbia. The Gervais Street Bridge, the river and the charming, colorful and balanced downtown skyline will be the perfect visual compliment to what will now truly turn into a signature event (Notice I didn't say the signature event) for Columbia.

Do you have any Columbia bands playing this year? Any local vendors selling food? In the past Three Rivers Festival has been alot of out-of-towners despite Columbia having some of the best restaurants and food anywhere in the country and really great local bands like Sabor.

Do you have any Columbia bands playing this year? Any local vendors selling food? In the past Three Rivers Festival has been alot of out-of-towners despite Columbia having some of the best restaurants and food anywhere in the country and really great local bands like Sabor.

For Three Rivers Festival what forbids you from getting other talent such as Siempre Tango Orchestra which has dancers from SC who perfrom while the orchestra plays? Or some of the local gospel or Christian choirs that are very impressive. The Palmetto Masters Singers I think is the name of a local male choir. The focus seems to be to try to make a beer festival but that is really missing the market. Many if not most people in Columbia very rarely even drink alcohol but almost all appreciate good music. You have only to compare the radio stations in Columbia to other cities. In Columbia there is little need for XM or whatever because there are many radio stations and they are all pretty good. In LA, if you like Jazz then you have two choices but if you like pop/rock then your choices are limited to 1 or so and not very diverse at all.

I think you make some great points, fromcola... Welcome to the forum! I appreciate your centered perspective. I would just add... obviously the perception of a "boom" is relative. What we are experiencing in Columbia now is a sustained urban renewal trend. It is more than just "any old change." And I am going to have to kindly refute the statement that "Columbia is changing very little." It should be obvious, even to the casual observer, that the city is changing and growing at a faster rate than it has in decades. The city is ripe for investment and investments, large ones, are being made hot and heavy. We may still be playing catch-up, depending on who you want to compare us too, but new projects are springing up all the time. As the city grows the population is evolving culturally while, I believe, maintaining the kind spirit that you refer to. That said... Many of the issues you raise do require the urgent attention of local government. And I have also observed the regional prejudices in the area. I have always been interested in the genesis of those notions...

For Three Rivers Festival what forbids you from getting other talent such as Siempre Tango Orchestra which has dancers from SC who perfrom while the orchestra plays? Or some of the local gospel or Christian choirs that are very impressive. The Palmetto Masters Singers I think is the name of a local male choir. The focus seems to be to try to make a beer festival but that is really missing the market. Many if not most people in Columbia very rarely even drink alcohol but almost all appreciate good music. You have only to compare the radio stations in Columbia to other cities. In Columbia there is little need for XM or whatever because there are many radio stations and they are all pretty good. In LA, if you like Jazz then you have two choices but if you like pop/rock then your choices are limited to 1 or so and not very diverse at all.

Welcome to the forum fromcola! You have made some impressive insights into this city. I do disagree with your last post, though. Cola needs more diversity in strong radio stations. Sure, they've got plenty of pop stations and a great Christian rock station, but the classic rock station here plain sucks. I'm sorry, that is harsh, but 102.3 needs to fire their DJs and find guys that will play more than just Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, and the Rolling Stones for 24/7. There needs to be more competition between each genre of music stations. Just IMO, though! :whistling:

Fromcola, welcome to the forum and I think you've made some good points as well. However, I agree with EM; when we speak of a "boom," we're speaking relatively. And I disagree that Columbia will essentially be the same in 20 years, but I do agree with your point about businesspersons making good investments in the area; that has the potential to truly take the city to another level (e.g., Coca Cola in Atlanta).

You spoke of Columbia as being " the poorest large city" you went through along I-10. Columbia isn't located on I-10; perhaps you mean I-20?

Economically, many of Columbia's woes are attributed to the state of SC and not the municipal government. But I believe the bright spot in the local economy is USC's research campus, which will bring knowledge-based jobs to the area. Although I would like to the see the local economy continue to diversify beyond that, the research campus is a great start IMO.

Also, although I don't live there, I'm not sure what you mean when you speak of the "corruption" of local government. Perhaps they've made some bad and inappropriate decisions, but I think "corrupt" is way too harsh of a word. As a matter of fact, I would contend that the situation you described concerning property taxes going towards the county courthouse instead of schools goes on in other cities in some form or another to one degree or another (e.g., the residents in Charlotte voting against a new arena, but the city decides to build one anyway).

But great points overall; I definitely appreciate a fresh perspective. We hope to hear more from you. ;)

Some good points were made by FromCola, but I have to disagree with his tax assessment. Property taxes in Columbia and most of South Carolina are insanely low. Please compare real property taxes here with most of the country. As far as car taxes are concerned, yes, the car property tax is high, but sales taxes on cars are low. Regarding appreciation, I'm not sure what area of Columbia your house was in, but my house has doubled in value since I bought it 5 years ago. I would also have to disagree with the poverty aspect. Household income in greater Columbia is approximately the national average, but the cost of living is lower than the national average. This equates to an above average standard of living.

I do tend to agree with you about 3 Rivers, they should have more local bands and more local eateries, why not incorporate a "Taste of Columbia" with the Festival? I have only been to the festival a couple of times, though, since I'm more into sports. I prefer the summer concert series at Finlay when it comes to live music.

Let's talk about the boom; nearly $2 billion in projects are either under construction right now or have been announced for the Columbia area in the last year. A detailed list is in the thread entitled "Columbia Developments".

Some of the best restaurants in the country?? Wow where have u traveled......although we do have good mexican....pizza choices are limited, asian choices are limited also, i guess you must be referring to BBQ and/or country cookin restaurants...

Some of the best restaurants in the country?? Wow where have u traveled......although we do have good mexican....pizza choices are limited, asian choices are limited also, i guess you must be referring to BBQ and/or country cookin restaurants...

I think we have some great Asian and Pizza restaurants.

Asian: Baan Sawaan, Golden Chopstix, Miyo's, M Cafe, Sakura, Micato, Thai Lotus, etc.

Pizza: Za's, Schiano's, Villa Tronco, Mellow Mushroom, etc.

I think we have some great Asian and Pizza restaurants.

Asian: Baan Sawaan, Golden Chopstix, Miyo's, M Cafe, Sakura, Micato, Thai Lotus, etc.

Pizza: Za's, Schiano's, Villa Tronco, Mellow Mushroom, etc.

Schiano's?? mellow mushroom?? gross! :sick: .........Try Zorba's, Tony's pizza(parkland), Bobby's house of pizza......

Chen's on Two Notch in the food lion plaza is awesome chinese.....Thai lotus is extremely expensive for no reason at all

The USA has experienced parity amongst its largest 100 cities. All the same stores, restaurants, TV channels, etc. In 50 years all large cities in the world will look the same.

Columbia sure beats the heck out of LA if you have a family to raise. OTOH, the folderol about a "boom" in Columbia shows people are willing to hype any change. The exhorbitant tax rate in Richland County when weighed against the pay rates means most everyone with promise has to leave Columbia for a decent career. There will never be a boom with that situation. While many American cities are almost booming, Columbia is changing very little. My friend recently moved back to Los Angeles from Shanghai and tells me in Shanghai every direction you look you will see new skyscrapers being built. That's where the boom is and the protracted destruction of the textile businesses in SC is a big part of why "jobs gone" from SC.

Despite the economic depression the city officials and the county officials are still running a plantation-style government where all proceeds go into the pockets of the officials. Since there is not alot of cash flowing, the result is a continually depressed economy. In fact, when driving back across the country I thought Columbia was probably the poorest large city I went though along I-10 (save the view over into Jaurez - now that's real problems and makes Columbia look like heaven).In Columbia Mexicans are not doing the manual labor: my former high school friends both black and white are happy to have the work!

On a positive note, with no boom comes no collapse so you can rest assured Columbia will be close to identical to iteself 20 years from now unless someone with some real cash makes a business investment. Of course, Gates and others are dumping $Billions into India instead of USA cities so that's where the growth is.

Consider this, my house in Columbia appreciated about 10% in six years. (Actually depreciated 20% if you include the home improvements!) In India property is doubling per year or even per six months where the money is being invested. In CA the property appreciates 10-20% per year. In Raleigh, my house has even appreciated in 6 months (Cary). The same house in Columbia that costs $100k costs ~$200k in Cary, NC and $500k in Torrance, CA and $600k Los Angeles.

Also, people in Columbia are not focused on money like most of the rest of America. If you want to find some people who seek personal values and especially God then you'll do well to start looking in Columbia.

Finally, Columbia is becoming a very segregated city and this saddens me to see. This is normal for San Francisco etc. where the Indians all live in one city, the Chinese all live in the West, etc. but is was not historically normal for Columbia. Now whites are concentrating in Lexington and Blacks are concentrating in East Columbia. Segregation is generally not good but at least does give opportunity for each group within the area. For instance, a Chinese barber who doesn't speak English can work fine in West San Francisco. Likewise, my friend told me of all the cities where he has contracted that he feels African Americans have more upward mobility in Columbia that anywhere else. That's alot given the sparse career opportunities in Columbia.

There are a few reasons I left Columbia:

1) Revenuers instead of police. Ticket traps all over the place but forget about if someone steals from you.

2) Extreme auto taxes.

3) Very limited job opportunities.

4) Hidebound population closed to different lifestyles, very judgemental of others, and nio drive for greatness

There are a few reasons I would not relocate to Columbia:

1) See above

2) No efforts to reduce tax loads.

3) City development is dominated by SCANA and a few other heavy-weights including real-estate developers.

4) Corrupt government means education will never improve. New property taxes for schools went to build the Richland County Courthouse. New money from the Lottery has also evaporated. Heck, SC lost a lawsuit for some of its own schools becasue the students did not even have books!

Here are a few reasons to locate to Columbia:

1) Very cheap housing

2) Very cheap labor including educated and skilled labor

- This cannot be over-stated. Given the dearth of career jobs, you have your pick of the litter.

- Median pay rate is 2/3 of the national rate and 1/2 of most other large cities.

3) Good work ethic in many areas

4) Government encourages business development with lenient licensing fees, restrictions, etc.

5) All the power, water, etc. reliability or more than other typical USA cities. E.g. power almost never goes out downtown. E.g. in-ground fiber Internet loop.

6) Fairly close to major port (Chas). Served by rail.

7) Overall healthy environment versus pollution towns like LA where you have 10x more probability of your workers getting cancer etc.

8) Very good tech school system. Good Universities and colleges.

9) Consistently top 10 in the nation public high schools as graded by SAT scores (i.e. Dutch Fork etc.)

10) Got rid of the yearly auto inspection hassle/scam.

Some things that could be of benefit to Columbia as it grows.

1) Just starting to turn into islands (Lex, NE, WCola, Cola). Some effort in unification and leveraging effort for the arts and other activities is needed. I noticed in LA it is not a mega city but 20 or so large cities side by side. People from Columbia are more likely to go to something in Charlotte or Charleston than people in Arcadia to go to something in Manhattan Beach. Columbia Metro needs to plan the road and the development to continue to foster economies of scale rather than fiefdoms as is typical of most metropolises.

2) Lack of prejudice against asians, hispanics, etc. People in Columbia generally make no distinction about race other than black and white and those lines are generally blurred anyways. People in Columbia are more likely to make judgements based on area of Columbia or area of the USA one if from than based on race.

- Interesting to note that people in Columbia have different accents based on region of the metro. Unlike CA where everyone has the same accent as most every actor has except for the recent immigrants.

3) Church civic responsibilities. Cooperative Ministries and other organizations save and restore lives ona regular basis while in many places the city is burdened with this task.

4) Brave police. Unlike the LA riots, Columbia and Richland county police are will to risk their lives for the safety of others. Also, people in Columbia often have an underlying (not egocentric) moral code and so will often assist police.

My thoughts.

You made some good points, alot of topics you touch on were right. But Cola doesn't have the people like you who moved away and doing better to invest back into the city. Atl and Charlotte doesn't have that problem but when people from cola move away they don't put back in the city. For instance Mougsy Bougs in Charlotte he's put back into the city. And a list of people who made it in atlanta. Were paying for the mistakes from the 70's and 80's back when s.c. officials and the people protested all big developments. And eventually the development went to places like charlotte and atl that would eventually take those same cities to another level. Like JR tobbaco plant in the mid 70's wanted to locate near lower richland. Good ol Strong Thurmand and other officals didn't want that kind of development in columbia but guess were it's at now????????? In Charlotte!!!!!!!!! and it's huge!!!!! People in this state kills me!!!! They want jobs!!! But as soon as a big company tries to come here, the neighborhoods, the city and everybody else complains that it's too close to their neighborhood, or they don't want that kind of development. Until the company goes to another state. Other states the negotiation process is very quick. Especially if it has anything to do with bring there city jobs.These problems you are describing didn't just happen. I don't understand why everyones complaining???? These are the people s.c. as a state has been voting for years. And nothing has been done for years . But columbia is starting to take steps in the right direction!! So in the next 25 yrs things will be different. But cola does needs some big investment. Doesn't usc have the best international business program???? I can see cola finally catching on in the next 20yrs. Well,when it does happen atleast i can say i stayed around to see my city grow into something.

Archived