Lurkers?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a lurker on and off for a year or so but just started posting. This is a great site and a great resource.

I was born and raised in Grand Rapids but left many years ago. I currently live on the west coast. Hoping to return to GR this summer or fall after I finish planning school.

The changes in the city are phenomenol. Can't wait to come back!

welcome!

if you don't mind my asking, where are you doing the "planning school" gig?

Well; I have definitely been hanging out here long enough that I should introduce myself. I do want to say that I consider myself a 'non-poster' more than a Lurker. 'Lurker' sounds so sinister -- somewhat criminal.

Years in GR: Most

Occupation: I (get ready for the surprise) run a landscape company and garden center. We also do barn construction and barn rehabilitation (that should 'out me' to several posters).

Residence: I grew up in Alger Heights but now live in Ada.

Family: I have a great wife and 5 children -- AdaDadof5?

Thanks for sharing -- I'll try to be more chatty!

Ooh! Do you have a good hookup on salvaged barnwood? Until I can transplant a real barn to my property (which I fully intend to do) I want to re-skin my existing barn-like shed to look more like the real thing. :)

Joe

Well; I have definitely been hanging out here long enough that I should introduce myself. I do want to say that I consider myself a 'non-poster' more than a Lurker. 'Lurker' sounds so sinister -- somewhat criminal.

Years in GR: Most

Occupation: I (get ready for the surprise) run a landscape company and garden center. We also do barn construction and barn rehabilitation (that should 'out me' to several posters).

Residence: I grew up in Alger Heights but now live in Ada.

Family: I have a great wife and 5 children -- AdaDadof5?

Thanks for sharing -- I'll try to be more chatty!

Ooh! Do you have a good hookup on salvaged barnwood? Until I can transplant a real barn to my property (which I fully intend to do) I want to re-skin my existing barn-like shed to look more like the real thing. :)

Joe

Joe-

Pitsch wrecking is the best source for salvaged barnwood. I keep what ever I can salvage for use on other projects. Quite often we need to take new wood and make it look aged -- it won't match on an existing barn but it will make your shed look like a barn. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Landscape,

I'd love to send you a PM but it doesn't look like you have posted enough yet for PM privaleges. I'd love to hear your techniques for making new wood look old.

Also, how much does it typically cost for you to salvage a barn? I'm thinking more in the "chicken shack" (maybe 20x??) rather than a full-size barn. I've always wondered how much it would take to have one put on my lot.

Joe

Joe-

Pitsch wrecking is the best source for salvaged barnwood. I keep what ever I can salvage for use on other projects. Quite often we need to take new wood and make it look aged -- it won't match on an existing barn but it will make your shed look like a barn. Feel free to PM me for more info.

• 1 month later...

Discovered UrbanPlanet in my search for information about the 'massive riverfront development' (as I'm sure many others have before me).

Recently relocated to South Florida, I was born in Grand Rapids and lived there until moving to Chicago 3 years ago.

UrbanPlanet keeps me informed of what's happening 'back home'.

I really appreciate the general civility of the discussions here.

Discovered UrbanPlanet in my search for information about the 'massive riverfront development' (as I'm sure many others have before me).

Recently relocated to South Florida, I was born in Grand Rapids and lived there until moving to Chicago 3 years ago.

UrbanPlanet keeps me informed of what's happening 'back home'.

I really appreciate the general civility of the discussions here.

Are you [screen] named after the painter? I am an admirer.

Another "newbie" here. GR born, ottawa county raised. :thumbsup: Recent college grad back to the area to hopefully find a job in town. It's a relief to be out of mid-MI & back in GR. It's amazing how much town (esp. DT) has changed in just a few years.

PS - lucky #10000 on UP . . . . pretty cool

• 3 months later...

Hi. This is my first post ever, on any board. I've been lurking here for a few months, found the UP site via google. I've been reading posts in the GR forums about 3 or 4 times per week.

Here's a bit about me.

LOCATION: GR area my whole life, have never lived in GR proper though.

INTERESTS: Surface tranportation planning, light rail, responsible land use initiatives, any effort to stem the tide of sprawl. I love seeing downtown GR develop into a more dense urban core.

My dream would be to live in downtown GR and open an engineering company in downtown GR, specializing in responsible land use development. I want to be able to walk to work! :)

Hopefully this is the first of many posts.

Archived