Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Dude, I didn't know the situation was that bad! I hear radio advertisements for "Tavern on the Lake" on Hip Hop radio stations. Will MetroWest become another Rosemont in the future. That sucks because I really did love living in the area. How Wal-<Mart got their sticky little hands on that property remains a mystery. The area could have been helped out some if that WalMart could have been built at JYP and Princeton. I see no connection between the Walmart and College Park. How Many CP residents ever venture past the train tracks to OBT? It's not like it's right next to CP like Fairvilla Video is. It could've made a major shift of the Metrowest Walmart traffic. The West Colonial Super Target should have been built at that Metrowest entrance, or Whole Foods or something. The Ocoee Walmart is plenty close to M-west, with lots of Windermere customers. And the new Vineland Walmart ir right in the area, too.

I believe the Walmart at JYP and Princeton is under construction- I drove past today - sure looks like a Walmart anyway.

Edited by spenser1058

I remember going to Nickel's Alley, which later on became a teen club, the name escapes me now......and when that closed down, the club Visage opened up off of Clarcona and OBT which was a new wave club, I remember going there and also "Spit" night at club Park Ave. on Mondays and Wednesdays. Park Ave was located on Lake Fairview on OBT. Spit was popular from the early to late 80's. I've also looked at lots of microfilm at OPL......I think I remember Orange Buick being in the Pizutti block, it wasn't very big, it seems like almost all car dealerships were downtown. I think the building of West Colonial, which was the first really wide boulevard with lots of property on each side is what attracted the car dealerships. I also remember the Montgomery Ward store on West Colonial where the OCSherrif's dept is located now. I know there was another Ward's at Interstate Mall in Altamonte, but I can't remember if there was a Montgomery Ward in Orlando before west Colonial. I believe the downtown Sears was located on Robinson, but not quite sure. I know it was off of Orange a bit.....

ok, i know i'm waaaaaaaaaaaay after the fact on this conversation, but i've just been through a horrible two week move process and finally have time to catch up on my forums! ugh. i won't comment on anything previously posted (even though it was a great read, you guys really know your retail history!) but i will help metrowester out on one thing. the teen club that went in on Amelia that you were thinking of, was called Electric Ave. and had a very devout crowd. it was the first place i started "hanging out" at. i remember seeing my first concert there (Love & Rockets: the Bubblemen tour). i also remember hearing about the fights that would happen because the hip/hop kids owned saturday night and the punks owned friday night. i think that is what led to it catching fire and the owners moving it out to claricona and renaming it. but i actually think Nickel's Alley might have been across the street from Electric Ave.

anyway, thanks for taking me down memory lane!

.....but i actually think Nickel's Alley might have been across the street from Electric Ave.

Nickel's Alley was on the south side of Amelia just east of the RR tracks.

It was right across Amelia from Southeast Steel & The Hub.

Northwest corner of the Pizutti block.

Nickel's Alley was on the south side of Amelia just east of the RR tracks.

It was right across Amelia from Southeast Steel & The Hub.

Northwest corner of the Pizutti block.

then i guess thats the same building as Electric Ave. i just remember another bar across the street, that i thought might have been Nickel's Alley. anyone remember what that bar was called?

then i guess thats the same building as Electric Ave. i just remember another bar across the street, that i thought might have been Nickel's Alley. anyone remember what that bar was called?

Yeah, as I mentioned, The Hub.

Back then I think it was called "Julie's Hub" or something like that.

But it was a dive. I don't know what it's like now, as I've never been in there, I've heard it's more of a sports bar now, but in those days it was a dive.

I can't think of any other place in the immediate vicinity that would've been the size of a club we're talking about.

I was at Ross the other day and it dawned on me. Does anyone know what was teh deal with the market at southside? It looks far older than the fascia would imply. I know the Albertson's was much older than the rest of it. Does anyone know its history?

Actually, the Albertsons goes back to the mid '70's - where Ross is was the original Publix on the site which goes back to the late 50's - early 60's. I'm not entirely certain but I believe that "Southside Plaza" as it was then known was developed on land owned by the Carusos, who were in the citrus industry (their Bluebird packing house and juice operation was on the other side of Orange Ave.) They went on to develop, among other things, the Southern Oaks subdivision and the office/warehouses that replaced their old citrus facilities.

Edited by spenser1058

I believe the Walmart at JYP and Princeton is under construction- I drove past today - sure looks like a Walmart anyway.

It is.

Someone mentioned the market at southside...the building under construction there where the old Roadhouse was is a Chick-fil-a.

It is.

Someone mentioned the market at southside...the building under construction there where the old Roadhouse was is a Chick-fil-a.

Southside Plaza was the deal on the southside. It even had a little covered "mall" section. I remember when the new Publix was built, it was one of the first "super-sized" Publix's in the metro. I believe it has that exposed piping ceiling inside........Don't know how I could forget the name Electric Avenue club, it's all coming back now.

Is it me or does the SoDo (southside) sprucing itself up and becoming a new hot spot? (While East Colonial seems to be in a rut)?

Southside Plaza was the deal on the southside. It even had a little covered "mall" section. I remember when the new Publix was built, it was one of the first "super-sized" Publix's in the metro. I believe it has that exposed piping ceiling inside........Don't know how I could forget the name Electric Avenue club, it's all coming back now.

That little "mall" area is still there. There are offices including a temp agency located located in there now.

Re: Electric Avenue, before it was Electric Avenue, but after Nickel's Alley, for about a year or so around 1982 - 83 it was a rock-n-roll club called "Angel's". They had a few live shows, too. Gregg Allman played there once.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone even mentioned this project yet?

exterior_6x4.jpg

The Peabody expansion on I drive.

I'm surprised it hasn't been the subject of more discussion here.

This thing is, by my count, over 40 stories tall.

That would make it, at least in terms of the number of floors, the tallest building in all of Central Florida.

From what I saw on a channel 9 news report about an accident there yesterday, this thing is not only well underway, but already taller than the original tower.

I hope they haven't scaled it back as happens with so many (most) projects around here.

Anyone got or can get any pics from driving by there?

Love to see em.

Edited by JFW657

While I do recall it having been mentioned before, I don't recall it having been discussed to the point that I for one would think a building this size would rate. It just seems to me that Orlando's first 40+ story building would've generated more excitement. This is an awesome looking builkding. Nice design, sleek looking. Just what we need downtown.

Has anyone even mentioned this project yet?

exterior_6x4.jpg

The Peabody expansion on I drive.

I'm surprised it hasn't been the subject of more discussion here.

This thing is, by my count, over 40 stories tall.

That would make it, at least in terms of the number of floors, the tallest building in all of Central Florida.

From what I saw on a channel 9 news report about an accident there yesterday, this thing is not only well underway, but already taller than the original tower.

I hope they haven't scaled it back as happens with so many (most) projects around here.

Anyone got or can get any pics from driving by there?

Love to see em.

By my understanding, this thing was scaled back when the expansion was delayed earlier in the decade (can anybody believe the first decade of the century is almost over?). At any rate, looks like 32 stories is the number now...

from the Peabody website...

"The $450-million expansion of The Peabody Orlando is fully underway and is on schedule for completion in November, 2010.

The scope of the project during 2009 will create a loss of meeting space in the hotel due to the display of the model guestrooms for the new 32-story Peabody Tower. To compensate for this loss, the hotel’s signature restaurant, Dux, will temporarily close during 2009."

Edited by uncreativeusername

By my understanding, this thing was scaled back when the expansion was delayed earlier in the decade (can anybody believe the first decade of the century is almost over?). At any rate, looks like 32 stories is the number now...

Right, I'm pretty sure it would be talked about more if not for the fact that we saw it coming in the pipeline for the better part of a decade and there has been a relatively small amount of information published about it, even after construction. That rendering you posted is the same one that was released when the project was first announced and supposed to be 40-stories tall. As others have mentioned, it's been scaled back some and the same rendering continues to be used.

So pretty much 1 working rendering (which isn't 100% accurate anymore) + a scaled back project resulting in it being just another 30-story building + few construction updates/photos + it being an expansion project as opposed to a totally new product + the fact that it's in the tourist corridor and not in downtown where it'll have a significant impact on the skyline = not a lot of buzz.

Edited by bic

^^

it's big... real big, and wide.

one of my clients works for a sub on the project and he hear that the overall height will be equivalent to a 37 story bldg. I asked if that meant 37 stories, but, he doesn't pay attention to those kinds of details like, say, we do. I think they mean the spire will get that high.

It'a a wait and see.

height will be good. 4-6 stories taller than the present building; a new parking deck (already done); a new convention space- U/C and new lobby space, etc... it's a massive project overall. I'm excited about it for the convention center's sake.

It's 750 rooms; the new Hilton is over 1,400 rooms at 18 or so stories (more like 20+ stories in height);

The OCCC neighborhood is becoming more dense as we speak, which is a good thing. I would've liked a 42 story tower, but, not every day is a Sunday.

I think any towers in urban Orange County are significant to the overall skyline picture in the Orlando area. After all, isn't Houston's tallest near the Galleria and not downtown? With all the infill in between it becomes one long Manhattan. We should really recocgnize our high rise hotels around the area, not many cities even have that option. LA has towers spread out throughout LA county, Miami as well. I think it is impressive driving in to Orlando from the west/south and having these towers. If there were a tower or two in Millenia area then the city would be well connected with towers. Also, many downtown towers in major cities are hotels. Orlando/OrangeCounty is impressive and we should show it more respect. :shades:

I think any towers in urban Orange County are significant to the overall skyline picture in the Orlando area. I think it is impressive driving in to Orlando from the west/south and having these towers.

I have always felt that way. As you're just entering the metro area coming from Lakeland or Tampa, you're greeted by some pretty impressive looking buildings which kind of tells you that you're entering a pretty good sized city. That's one thing that many if not most major cities have in common is high rise construction away from the central core. It gives the impression of growth & maturity. We need a few more up around Altamonte, Maitland & Winter Park too.

I have always felt that way. As you're just entering the metro area coming from Lakeland or Tampa, you're greeted by some pretty impressive looking buildings which kind of tells you that you're entering a pretty good sized city. That's one thing that many if not most major cities have in common is high rise construction away from the central core. It gives the impression of growth & maturity. We need a few more up around Altamonte, Maitland & Winter Park too.

In my humble opinion, we don't need any more far flung employment centers without more mass transit....

It's one thing to move office towers slightly away from the city to preserve historic buildings (see La Defense in Paris). It's another entirely to sprawl out everywhere in search of the cheapest land deal.

Longer distances, more travel = more entropy.

In my humble opinion, we don't need any more far flung employment centers without more mass transit....

It's one thing to move office towers slightly away from the city to preserve historic buildings (see La Defense in Paris). It's another entirely to sprawl out everywhere in search of the cheapest land deal.

Longer distances, more travel = more entropy.

But of course in this case, we're talking about tourist hotels as opposed to office buildings.