Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

Well, as long as they still try to obtain that right of way I'm happy.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not with eminent domain! That is going to open problems for people and business if they decide to do it and if they use it they are just going to have to pay the 48 million if thats what it is appraised for.

I wasn't too fond of the BRT plan anyways. I think the entire region needs to have one type for it to be functional and feasible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. Having Norfolk with Light Rail, VB with BRT, who knows what's next. Chesapeake will adopt heavy underground rail, portsmouth will have streetcar, and the peninsula will have monorail! :lol:

Exactly. Having Norfolk with Light Rail, VB with BRT, who knows what's next. Chesapeake will adopt heavy underground rail, portsmouth will have streetcar, and the peninsula will have monorail!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: Sad to say but I could actually see that happening. :lol:

Wow I am back, what a relief, I finally seen at 1st hand what you guys been talking about traffic and developments in HR especially DT Norfolk Area. I've been working since i got back home in mid may and i ve had to catch the bus from DT norfolk to caviler industrial park on the ches, and ptown border and yes majority of blacks rode the bus. i caught the #45 to get me on ptown side of the waters and most of the people that were on the bus were working at the ship yard. i guess levels of income (finances) play a part in who ride the bus or not b/c i know all i kept saying is that i need to take it serious and buy me a car b/c i got tired of being stuck in traffic and the buses being over crowded but at times i did enjoy my self just buy listening to the hilarious conversations of the people on the bus i guess its all about having fun after going and coming from hard physical work at the ship yard. and yes many of the bus drivers do have attitudes and some do not b/c when i get on the bus most of the times i say good morning and the drivers who act like they do not want to speak they do not have to worry about me speaking to them again and sometimes when the bus drivers beging to see your face more frequently they begin to act more friendlier with you. For instance it was this white guy who use to ride the 630-700am bus with me and it appeared that many of the drivers and customers enjoyed him. he was loud and crazy in a good and joyous way that made people laugh and shake their heads like this dude is really crazy and he talked to almost everyone on the bus non-stop until he reached his stop. just a couple of weeks ago he told be he was going to sell me his bike for $20 and he kept emphasizing that it was a beach cruizer. this thing was old and dusty with a basket on the front i told him to talk to me next pay day. This dude was really exicited about his back and how good it rode. so lammius dont be offended if you are about people's reactons about you about you b/c i used to feel sort of but not really (lol) the same way even though iam not white. so just think of it as u being the black guy in a country club with jeans and sneakers riding that little bull or horse that goes crazy. b/c no matter who we are we experience some type of judgement with other people b/c i believe that i have grown use to it and eventhough i may not recognize it iam pretty sure that its all around me but i tell you one thing i still love everybody. words of thought and encourage :thumbsup: man i dont know why this was so long maybe that i have not been up here in so long peace out!

Edited by Locos

Oh I wasn't offended, Locos.  I just thought it was an odd set of questions, and couldn't understand at the time why the woman was so interested in what I was doing.  I rode a few more buses while visiting, and not much out of the ordinary happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess she thought you looked a little out of place! :rofl::thumbsup:

I havent read any of this thread. I just wanted to say that if you dont leave the house before 700am, your going to be screwed if your going to norfolk. I usually leave for work around 6 or 630, but slept a bit longer today from all this damn training for the rock-n-roll 1/2 marathon.

THE TRAFFIC IS GETTING WORSE BY THE DAMN DAY. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGG.

ok. I feel better.

I havent read any of this thread. I just wanted to say that if you dont leave the house before 700am, your going to be screwed if your going to norfolk. I usually leave for work around 6 or 630, but slept a bit longer today from all this damn training for the rock-n-roll 1/2 marathon.

THE TRAFFIC IS GETTING WORSE BY THE DAMN DAY. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGG.

ok. I feel better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude you are funny! :rofl::thumbsup:

Yeah its all the base traffic. I was amazed one morning when I got up and headed out aboit 6:15 which is earlier than usual since I usually leave for work about 735 or so. I was amazed who many cars were out that early in the morning but almost all were headed towards Norfok from VB.

Ouch. Tha's gonna hurt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My question is how is this going to be split up? Is our money going to stay with us or is it going to disappear in Richmond or NOVA? I think we would really get screwed again as usual and our money go to places that doesn't need it! Thats why people here always shoot things like that down cause our money in this region doesn't end up in our hands again.

My question is how is this going to be split up? Is our money going to stay with us or is it going to disappear in Richmond or NOVA? I think we would really get screwed again as usual and our money go to places that doesn't need it! Thats why people here always shoot things like that down cause our money in this region doesn't end up in our hands again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think tolls are handled differently and I would assume that local toll revenue will be earmarked for local road projects, otherwise, what's the point?

I think tolls are handled differently and I would assume that local toll revenue will be earmarked for local road projects, otherwise, what's the point?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way I read it, it would go straight to VDOT for all of the state projects. I would hope that the money stays in the areas that its collected for. If not you are not going to any people support in this area. Thats why people voted down that last attempt on raising taxes in the area for the roads. No one believes that it will stay here but go to Richmond and NOVA. I'm not the only one that believes this its just a fact.

Beautiful.  I don't like the idea of mail-in toll payment, though.  I think electronic collection is great, but have booths for people who refuse to get the EZPass.  There's too much effort involved in trying to collect payment after the fact.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly. I don't see mail in payments working all that well not to mention that it seems kinda like a backdoor tax. They just try to frame it in different terms.

exactly. I don't see mail in payments working all that well not to mention that it seems kinda like a backdoor tax. They just try to frame it in different terms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't like it cause i don't see the money getting distributed to the areas it came from. You know how Va politics are and I don't want my money from the roads that I drive go somewhere else. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

just think of all the warehouses in that area.  All of which could easily be sold to developers to turn into a collections of mixed use projects and office centers. 

now would be a great time for them to start thinking about future growth, streetcars, and such.  This is a great chance for Newport News to shed thier bad name and control the peninsula.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually they are in the early stages for Light rail