Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

This plan seems to avoid the obvious -- traffic here isn't caused as much by volumes, as it is by chokepoints. We don't have the same problem as NoVa, where densities and sprawl (and a failure to extend transit to match sprawl) have led to their problems. Our are simplier, and have simpler solutions.

Our congestion problems are all tied to low density volumes moving through a few chokepoints. Any traffic problem you want to point to is related to a bridge or tunnel. At the same time, just as the VP reported this weekend, we insist on driving one car, with one occupant, to one destination. Part of the solution, and a part that this plan avoids completely, is behavior change through traffic demand management. There are some facts that can't be avoided. As long as roads are free at the point of usage, we will never get ahead of this problem (also known as the "tragedy of the commons")

First fact is that a car with three occupants moves three times the volume of a single occupant car (sorry to state the obvious, but the obvious somehow has avoided the GA). Second, is that to tax every driver to solve the problems caused by a few is immoral. Demand management can increase the throughput of every bridge and tunnel, but only the drivers that take them can contribute to the solution. Third, it makes no sense to place a special tax rate on Tidewater commercial property, and make us less competitive against every other section of the state. Especially when so much of the traffic generating work locations are not subject to this tax.

So how do we fix this? First, as unpopular as it may be, we have to put variable tolls on every water crossing. This type of traffic demand managment has worked every place it has been tried. The revenues certainly need to fund the expensive projects proposed, but they also need to fund infrastructure improvements also aimed to reduce the problem -- expanded park and rides, with more express buses and "slug lanes" (extra rider pickup points very popular in NoVa), expanded van pools, and eventually even a light rail extension through the third tunnel that is a part of the third crossing. Certainly, moving to the same side of the water as your job is extreme. But the other remedies above all will contribute to lessening demand, and increasing throughput. Advances in toll collections have eliminated the toll plazas of the past (see link) so that isn't an issue. Traffic demand managment for NoVa can take a different look. But there has to be a reduction in the demand on 95 and 66, and they certainly could fund improvements with the revenues generated -- improvements on VRE lines, 395 parallel METRO line from Van Dorn to Tysons, etc). All of these are driven by one principle -- those who cause the problem will make a major contribution to the remendy -- either by behavior or finances.

Second, we do need a moderate increase in the gas tax -- 5 to 7 cents. VA's tax is too low, vis a vis our neighbors.

Third, we need to tax the development behaviors that cause these problems, and a blanket tax on commercial RE in just one part of the state isn't the remedy. Low density residential development at long distances from employment centers is the major cause of high roadway demand, and that development needs to cover the costs to society. There needs to be an escalating proffer (escalating as distance from transit nodes increases) on every residential housing unit in the state. New home in Prince William County? $50K isn't too high a number, when most new houses there are going for $600K. All that money would go directly into expanding VRE west and south, increasing train frequency, improving the lines, adding bus routes to feed the train stops, etc. Capital and operating cost subsidies. Same thing goes here -- build in Pungo, pay the price to expand 264 and extend the light rail east. Build in Suffolk, and pay to start a commuter rail line. Build in Gloucester, pay to subsidize a park and ride and the express bus to the Naval Station.

Back to square one

"You don't raise taxes in Chesapeake," said Del. Lionell Spruill Sr., D-Chesapeake. "You get unelected quick."

As Republicans tried to resolve their differences, an influential group of Democratic legislators said they cannot back the GOP legislation.

Members of the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus, a majority of whom are from Hampton Roads, said they will push instead for an alternative plan that includes a 10-cents-per-gallon increase in the state gasoline tax.

"If you use the roads, you should pay for their construction and maintenance," said Del. Ken Melvin, D-Portsmouth.

Melvin said the group is "not necessarily" opposing the GOP plan, but they want Republican leaders to consider including a fuel tax.

The black legislators said they don't like the Republican plan's call for commercial real estate tax increases in Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia.

They also raised concerns that the plan does not earmark a specific amount of money for mass transit projects, and they objected to a provision that will divert money to transportation from other government services such as education and health care.

^^^Some legitimate concerns and a valid counter proposal have been raised. I don't think we should be in a rush to approve the republican plan just because its a plan. Unless the commercial taxes portion is reduced or eliminated and until some gas tax increase is included I just don't think this plan stands on solid ground.

I'm all for raising the gas tax, but if it's going to be 10 cents per gallon then it needs to replace the proposed tolls. As for Spruill's comment about raising taxes in Chesapeake, isn't his party the one campaigning on smart spending at the moment? Doesn't he know that initiating new spending measures without raising the appropriate money from somewhere will only get us record-high debt?

House senate compromise dies, new proposal clears panel

A compromise transportation package worked out between rival House and Senate Republicans died Thursday before a Senate committee, which subsequently approved a competing Senate transportation plan about an hour after it was first made public.

A good decision but I fear this will immediately be killed in the house, putting us back to square one.

House senate compromise dies, new proposal clears panel

A good decision but I fear this will immediately be killed in the house, putting us back to square one.

Eveyone needs to compromise here and worry more about the problem than whose party says and does what. This is a everyone problem.

Edited by rusthebuss

I like this part"

The House plan as passed, however, makes no change in a proposal that allows northern Virginia localities to raise their own funds to be spent only in their traffic-choked region for transportation projects. But it makes two changes to a corresponding regional proposal for Hampton Roads by halving a proposed commercial real estate tax from 30 cents per $100 of assessed value to 15 cents, and adding a $5 nightly "transient occupancy fee" that would be part of hotel and motel bills. The statewide portion of the plan was also amended to boost highway funding for Henrico County.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine said in a press statement that he hopes there is room to negotiate a consensus before the scheduled Feb. 24 adjournment.

I was very worried about that commercial tax and $5 hotel bill fee should help tap into that tourist cash. I wanted the gas tax increase but I realize that this is the best possible proposal to ensure passage at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the solution to HR's transportation problems just simply more paving?

I was in Central Florida last month, and some friends told me that the Orlando area finally realized that they couldn't just pave their way out of their problems. They have serious plans to institute commuter rail in 2009 (Central Florida Rail).

Just makes you wonder if leaders in Va. will ever lead, and stop following their wet fingers stuck in the air? The folks in Florida had to deal with the same railroad (CSX), they have the same densities we have here. Maybe the difference is that they have a modicum of leadership in their elected officials?

• 1 month later...

Hell just froze over

The General Assembly overwhelmingly approved a compromise transportation bill today that would put in place a multi-year road-building plan that could raise nearly $1 billion annually through new state borrowing and new taxes and fees. The House voted 85-15 and the Senate, 29-10, to uphold Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's amendments to a plan approved by the General Assembly earlier this year.

Well, they certainly don't have that problem now since they closed premiere. Most of the late night garage activity came from that club and Guadalajaras. Most of the other bars that are further down Granby fill up the parking garages in that area.

Any pictures or links to pictures for the construction at Greenbrier and Battlefield, i'm curious what the plan is...it's hard to tell right now

Any pictures or links to pictures for the construction at Greenbrier and Battlefield, i'm curious what the plan is...it's hard to tell right now

I don't have any pics but i do know that all the bridges in that area will be expanded and replaced and that the entire stretch of road will be widened to 14 lanes, 7 in each direction. I think it breaks down to 4 travel lanes, 1 Hov lane, and 2 local traffic lanes (separated by a median for people who are getting off at Battlefield, Greenbriar etc. ) on each side.

Still no mention of the third crossing!

I really don't think you will see the third crossing in the size they were pushing for. They have been studying building just the portion of 564 to interstate 664 and then a spur down to 164. I have thought all along that that is all they needed to do. The M&M is not exceeding its capacity yet and could easily handle the influx of tractor trailers. It would give direct access to all the ports. Throw in the new tube at the midtown and traffice get substantially better. Then we could require all trucks to use the M&M instead of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, which would at least clear up three back ups every day from trucks that don't pay attention to the height limits.

It's funny......

They lowered the "car tax" but now they are just picking it up from somewhere else! :rofl:

Its a game. They make it appear that they are giving you a break but then they hit you in the pocket somewhere else. The need for that money doesn't go away so they find a way to get it without raising the publics anger up.

7 of 12 local leaders support transportation authority

Seven of the region's 12 mayors and county chairmen say they support - or at least lean toward - joining the new Hampton Roads Transportation Authority that would raise taxes and fees to pay for major transportation projects.

If their city councils or boards of supervisors back them in the coming months, the dozen leaders would automatically be the voting members of the authority and have the power to impose seven tax and fee increases.

This project will replace the Battlefield Boulevard interchange on I-64 and widen two miles of the interstate from six lanes to fourteen lanes to help improve traffic and cut down on congestion. Part of the widening includes two extra lanes in each direction that are separated from the main flow of traffic to help with merging on and off the interstate. Work will begin near the exit for Greenbrier Mall (exit 289) and stretch to just before the I-464 interchange (exit 291). Construction is scheduled to take just over three years and will finish up around July 31, 2009.

The most challenging part of the project will be replacing the Battlefield Boulevard interchange. Crews will completely replace the bridge over the interstate with a newer and better interchange that will be able to carry more cars during rush hour time periods. They

Did somebody say Los Angeles? :unsure:

battlefieldpilotmap1.jpg

battlefield1.jpg

battlefield2.jpg

battlefield3.jpg

battlefield4.jpg

battlefield5.jpg

battlefield6.jpg

I don't have any pics but i do know that all the bridges in that area will be expanded and replaced and that the entire stretch of road will be widened to 14 lanes, 7 in each direction. I think it breaks down to 4 travel lanes, 1 Hov lane, and 2 local traffic lanes (separated by a median for people who are getting off at Battlefield, Greenbriar etc. ) on each side.

After looking at this let me modify it a bit. The mainline will actually be 5 lanes in each direction with no HOV restrictions.