The Vue

cooperdawg

It has been reported multiple times since last summer, but as part of selling the project to MCL, the tunnel form construction method has been dropped.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...&pid=862032

The spires have also been dropped, and likely many other cost cutting elements. Basically, because the project took so long to break ground (it was originally supposed to be done around now), costs escalated. I'd expect similar cost cuts at other projects that took so long to be built.

Frankly, other than construction speed for the builders, and some sound reduction for the residents, I'm not sure I see much value in the tunnel form process. It seems like a waste of a product with a very high carbon footprint.

The spires have also been dropped....

Dropping the spires was a crying shame. With it's height and magestic spires, the Vue was headed to be one of Uptown's three best highrises.

The removal of the Vue's spires essentially means the removal of it's stature---the stature that captivated all our imaginations. The original design with the spires was truly inspirational to us urban loving people. Now I fear the tower will look like an also-ran.

I agree that it was a huge loss, but I suspect that the building will still be a very grand specimen. There is always the possibility that an antenna get added by selling the space to a communication company, right?

I'm not sure it would provide much electricity, but it would be cool if they could have a spire that both can charge some rent to some phone companies and maybe generate some electricity.

http://mariahpower.com/index.php?option=co...3&Itemid=35

But I guess that would not really solve the aesthetic issue either.

I agree that it was a huge loss, but I suspect that the building will still be a very grand specimen. There is always the possibility that an antenna get added by selling the space to a communication company, right?

I'm not sure it would provide much electricity, but it would be cool if they could have a spire that both can charge some rent to some phone companies and maybe generate some electricity.

http://mariahpower.com/index.php?option=co...3&Itemid=35

But I guess that would not really solve the aesthetic issue either.

I'm just glad that beautiful tanned marble first few floors is still with us. With correct lighting and what not, that is going to be stunning. I'm eager to see if they go with the bold blue glass in the concepts or if they switch the tints on us (Avenue did it for the better, obviously), because that is another one of its strong points, IMO. Bummer on the Spires though, but looking at it in a business perspective, if you need to cut costs somewhere to keep these condos at the prices they are at and be able to sell them, then this was the most obvious cut. Although it's a long shot, there is always a possibility that some kind of telecommunications company could put one on there, although I don't see that working out on this particular building.

Frankly, other than construction speed for the builders, and some sound reduction for the residents, I'm not sure I see much value in the tunnel form process. It seems like a waste of a product with a very high carbon footprint.

It would seem to me that construction speed is a huge cost savings for building a skyscraper. It's the method that Trump is using for the Trump tower in Chicago which will end up being the tallest building of this type in the USA. I am not sure about the carbon footprint thing as there really isn't that much to making concrete.

On the topic of spires and revenue from cell phone towers, I wonder if they could figure out a way to make two tasteful antennaes disguised as spires...
Except that modern mobile phones work exactly opposite of that. Instead of a small number of large antennas, they have large number of small antennas. There would be no need to have mobile phone towers that high up, especially downtown. Also, the old analog "cell" system was shutdown last week which were the primary culprits behind the ugly towers that people are familiar with.

It would seem to me that construction speed is a huge cost savings for building a skyscraper. It's the method that Trump is using for the Trump tower in Chicago which will end up being the tallest building of this type in the USA. I am not sure about the carbon footprint thing as there really isn't that much to making concrete.Except that modern mobile phones work exactly opposite of that. Instead of a small number of large antennas, they have large number of small antennas. There would be no need to have mobile phone towers that high up, especially downtown. Also, the old analog "cell" system was shutdown last week which were the primary culprits behind the ugly towers that people are familiar with.

That is exactly right about the cell phone towers, although it really depends on topography and area of where small and tall towers are placed. That aside, if this long shot were to happen, it would be by some sort of media, not a cell tower. Obviously reception is plentiful uptown. Typically office towers would have the antennas, depending on the line of work taking place. Too bad on those spires. At least it would be the last element added to the tower, so there is still a year or so for them to change their minds.

It would seem to me that construction speed is a huge cost savings for building a skyscraper. It's the method that Trump is using for the Trump tower in Chicago which will end up being the tallest building of this type in the USA. I am not sure about the carbon footprint thing as there really isn't that much to making concrete.

I don't want to take the conversation too far off track, but from what I've read concrete, brick and steel all have a high embodied energy --> carbon footprint. Sustainably harvested wood is a net positive since it absorbs energy during its growth, and then keeps the carbon inside the wood while the building exists. It is a common theme on Treehugger, which I think you read. Relatively speaking, concrete is significantly better than steel, but given the amount of energy to create it, if concrete can be reduced (such as not building the interior walls of the stuff), then that would be a good thing.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/02/designing_with.php

As for construction time, as part of the purchase of the project, it is an absolute certainty that MCL's accountants crunched all sorts of numbers on options for cutting costs without losing customers. I'm sure they weighed construction time savings versus material savings. It is also possible that that process limited their bids possibilities from construction companies, since many local builders here are more experienced with conventional building process, and they might have been able to save a more costs this way than possible time savings could have provided from tunnel form.

Whatever the reasons for chosing the conventional building method, it seems that it can still be done pretty quickly if they want to. Catalyst is living proof of that. That goes up a floor every time you blink.

I don't want to take the conversation too far off track, but from what I've read concrete, brick and steel all have a high embodied energy --> carbon footprint. Sustainably harvested wood is a net positive since it absorbs energy during its growth, and then keeps the carbon inside the wood while the building exists. It is a common theme on Treehugger, which I think you read. Relatively speaking, concrete is significantly better than steel, but given the amount of energy to create it, if concrete can be reduced (such as not building the interior walls of the stuff), then that would be a good thing.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/02/designing_with.php

Again, trying not to stray too far off topic, when building a highrise building you only have the choice of concrete or steel as a building material. There are many things that can be done when formulating your concrete mixture that can help lower the embodied energy of the mix. For instance, the most energy intense part of making concrete is actually make the cement. This is one of the reasons you are starting to see blast furnace slag and fly ash from coal burning used to replace some of the cement in a given concrete mixture. Also, for the aggregate you can used crushed concrete instead of stone blasted from the quarry.

For the most part, in concrete highrises the only concrete interior walls you have are around the core of the building and provide lateral support for the structure. This is pretty much the only way to build tall with concrete. In my experience, you will very rarely, if ever, see concrete interior walls that do not serve this purpose. They simply add too much weight to the building for nothing basically. Most of you interior walls are going to simply be light gage studs with gyp board.

There is no doubt in my mind that this tower is ready to begin going vertical. The site was swarming with construction crews today, much more action then the last time I have made a visit. Looks like they are still just preparing the site, however you can tell they are waiting and ready for the concrete and crane to arrive. I have a feeling this will be going up quickly.

02-28-08002.jpg

02-28-08005.jpg

^If this building is being built based on existing contracts it behooves them to get it built as quickly as possible. Yesterday the $ sunk to a new low against the Euro ($1.52 :o ) and oil closed above $102/barrel. The former will have the effect of making all building materials more expensive and the latter will have he same effect plus given the amount of peterolium fuel needed to build the place, is going to hit someone's the bottom line hard.

I was over in 4th Ward this morning and happened to drive by the Vue site. It was VERY active with all the construction vehicles. Bulldozers were moving/leveling dirt. It looks like they have a little bit more work to do before we see some construction start up. But good to see never the less.

The large tubes you see in the distance of Riverwood's pictures are caisson forms. They unloaded them today. Some of them are huge, like 72" diameter. They are so large that there were guys standing inside the rebar cages tying the steel that will go within the caissons. It should be a cool sight to see them turning 72" augers into the ground.