Greater Charleston Projects & Developments

Spartan

Charleston's Planning Commission green-lighted 156 new homes on Johns Island at a meeting Wednesday during which several commissioners bemoaned the traffic that the developments could bring, but said they must approve plans that meet city requirements. The development, The Cottages at Johns Island, will feature pre-manufactured homes with no garages on lots as narrow as 29 feet wide. The homes are expected to start at around $225,000, according to Danny Forsberg, the project engineer. Also, the development plan calls for several lakes and common areas of wetlands and green space, and would have fewer homes than zoning rules allow. Still, some commissioners said they thought the plan seemed out of character for the rural sea island.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I'On Group has broken ground on the first phase of its 44-acre mixed-use Mixson Avenue project in North Charleston. Phase one of the construction, near the intersection of Mixson and Durant avenues, is expected to take three years to develop. It will include 266 one-bedroom housing units priced in the mid-$150,000s. I'On officials said they would begin site preparation this month. They hope to begin construction on the homes by late summer, and units should be available for occupancy in spring 2008.

• 3 weeks later...
This article gives us some details on Mt. Pleasant's Memorial Waterfront Park. The first phase of the 22-acre park next to the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge includes a $3 million, 1,250-foot fishing and pedestrian pier that will be a bit longer than the Folly Beach pier. Near the pier entrance, the town will build the pier railing and lights; a shop selling snacks, gifts and tackle; restrooms; an outdoor eating area; and two pavilions with swings. Also to be built is a two-story open-air pavilion with rocking chairs and benches at the end of the pier. Docks for the town sailing program and for kayakers will be included. A war memorial will be near the pier on the marsh side of the project which will include a $235,000 sculpture. The sculpture will be an 8-foot statue of a woman cast in bronze holding a tri-folded flag in her left hand presented to grieving widows and mothers. Her right hand will rest on a World War II helmet supported by a rifle.

This article gives us some details on Mt. Pleasant's Memorial Waterfront Park. The first phase of the 22-acre park next to the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge includes a $3 million, 1,250-foot fishing and pedestrian pier that will be a bit longer than the Folly Beach pier. Near the pier entrance, the town will build the pier railing and lights; a shop selling snacks, gifts and tackle; restrooms; an outdoor eating area; and two pavilions with swings. Also to be built is a two-story open-air pavilion with rocking chairs and benches at the end of the pier. Docks for the town sailing program and for kayakers will be included. A war memorial will be near the pier on the marsh side of the project which will include a $235,000 sculpture. The sculpture will be an 8-foot statue of a woman cast in bronze holding a tri-folded flag in her left hand presented to grieving widows and mothers. Her right hand will rest on a World War II helmet supported by a rifle.

I have family members who live in MT P, that's why I go down so often, but they are really excited about this. Reading that article, it really sounds like it will be quite nice. I really like the idea of a prominade from the fishing pier all the way to Patriots Point. Sounds like it will be nicer than Waterfront Park even.

• 2 weeks later...

An $82 million, mixed-use business park, known as Remount Business Park, is going to be developed on 65 acres on the southeast corner of Remount Road and North Rhett Avenue. The site is said to be a central location being right next to the SPAWAR main entrance, 1/4 mile from I-526, 1/2 mile from the port's north terminals, and 3 miles from the int'l airport. Construction on the first facility, which will have 200,560 square feet of space, is slated to begin in August and to be completed by May 2008.

One research company, Atlanta-based Scientific Research Corp, has already leased 65,000 square feet. This company provides solutions for electronics, IT, and communications government, private business, and international business.

$82M business park planned on Remount Road

• 3 weeks later...

Developers North Pleasant and Vintage Land, which own the 4,500-acre Keystone tract in the heart of the Francis Marion National Forest, have pledged to vastly reduce the number of houses they want to build on the ecologically important land. Even with the proposed restrictions, the developers would be able to build about 900 homes in clusters on the property. That would give it roughly the same population as the rural Huger community nearby. The original development plan called for 6,500 homes.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a nice writeup in today's edition of the P&C about the small town of Meggett (which I'd never heard of prior to reading this article) in southern Charleston County that's in the process of breathing a bit of life into its small downtown. It started by saving, renovating, and reusing the old post office, and since then, sidewalks, streetlights, and a small park with walking trails have been added downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

The Beach Co. is preparing to transform the old Garco site in North Charleston, where the General Asbestos and Rubber Co. was once located, into a mixed-use neighborhood of homes, shops, offices, and a supermarket. The company said it will likely file a formal master plan with North Charleston next week. The proposal shows a 75-unit condominium complex, 225,000 square feet of office space, 125,000 square feet of retail space and a new road cutting through the property. The retail component includes a 35,000-square-foot grocery store proposed for the corner of Virginia Avenue. A tenant has not yet been picked for the supermarket space. Most of the 45 buildings on the Garco tract have to be demolished, but the developer said it plans to preserve a 72,000-square-foot building near the entrance. The spacious brick structure will be converted into condos with 18-foot ceilings and expansive windows.

• 4 months later...

Mount Pleasant is going to consider raising its 50' heigh restriction to 80' for 198 acres around the base of the Cooper River Bridge. This would allow for some a hotel and condominiums to be constructed on what is currently undeveloped land, a lot of which is marsh.

Also, "The town also is working on a Johnnie Dodds Boulevard land-use plan that suggests 80-foot building heights near the bridge. A draft of the plan focuses on the area as prime for economic development."

The Johnnie Dodds Boulevard Land Use Plan is supposed to convert the 'freeway' into a significant downtown-like corridor for Mount Pleasant.

Article

• 5 weeks later...

Carnes Charleston

This is the mixed use development that the Daniel Island company is overseeing. It is now completely inside the City of Goose Creek's borders. It will include a downtown area that will most likely serve most of southern berkely county in that capacity. There will also be a medical complex and one of the area's larger private schools is relocating there. The public schools of choice will probably be the Cane Bay Schools.

I really like what they did with Daniel Island. I hope they can achieve the same feel there in S. Berkeley county. It's a shame they couldn't get some land from Alcoa on the other side of the 176 intersection so that they completely circled that intersection (Carnes Crossroads.)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know about the development site off of Exit 205 in North Charleston and Highway 78? I drove by the frontage road that's visible from the interstate and saw CF Evans as one of the developers? It looks like it will be large-scale, so I was just curious if anyone had heard anything?

• 5 weeks later...

I found this article in the Post and Courier...wasn't sure where to post it? The bad news is that two area theaters are closing. The good news is that a new "megaplex" will be built (Citadel Mall) and a Sportsman's Warehouse added (Northwood).

Citadel Mall theater will show movies through July

By John P. McDermott (Contact)

The Post and Courier

Friday, April 11, 2008

AMC Entertainment

Archived