Triangle road & traffic thread

uptownliving

The plan talks about making US1 North of I540 a freeway. Has anyone heard of plans to turn the portion from DT Raleigh (I440) to I540 into a freeway? I'm sure that would be very expensive, but would make traveling down that road much easier.

It is possible. I would visit my friend in the Tampa Bay area and they told me DOT converted US19 into a limited access highway.

You can check out the project at this website.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DT Raleigh (I440) to I540 into a freeway?

I seriously doubt that will ever happen. If it ever did, it would probably take 30 years, just like Independence Blvd is in Charlotte--so you'd be looking at 2045 for a completion date :blink: . Blvd to freeway-expwy conversions are extraordinarily costly on a per/mile basis, and they usually have a huge impact on surrounding communities, businesses, and existing roads.

Personally, I think the area should build TTA, phase II instead of worrying about tearing up Capital Blvd for 30 + years.

The more they restrict access to Capital Blvd./US1, the better. It only really gets bad from I-440 towards the north. The population really exploded up that way before they had a chance to better plan the road, says the optimist in me.

I've lived here since '93. I'm from Arlington, VA. So, the quickest route for me distance-wise, and I think still time-wise, despite the 64 bypass, is US1-85-95. It used to be that once you got north of Millbrook Road on Capital, you were in for smooth sailing, traffic and light-wise, spare a couple of lights that always seemed to be green, like Stadium Drive in Wake Forest and Hwy 96 (still the last stoplight on the way up north). That distance has nearly tripled these days. 540 has had an effect to be sure, as has the big mall there. But the most annoying stretch of the trip, by far, starts at the light at Durant Road and continues all the way through Wake Forest. My new pet peeve light is the one at the 98 bypass (still under contruction) to access that shopping center with the ultra mega super supreme target, home depot, and requisite applebees. Man I hate that one.

It would be great to able to alleviate traffic/restrict access, or at least make access make more sense instead of giving everyone a curb cut, on Capital, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Capitalapts,

My wife's family lives in PA so we make the trip up the I-95 corridor several times a year. We live in downtown and have found that the new 64 bypass is faster than fighting the traffic and all the lights on Capital Blvd/US-1. I have never experienced slowdowns on the bypass, but as you know, Capital Blvd can be maddening during rush hour. Depending on where you live, it might be worth a try next time you head to Arlington.

Capitalapts,

My wife's family lives in PA so we make the trip up the I-95 corridor several times a year. We live in downtown and have found that the new 64 bypass is faster than fighting the traffic and all the lights on Capital Blvd/US-1. I have never experienced slowdowns on the bypass, but as you know, Capital Blvd can be maddening during rush hour. Depending on where you live, it might be worth a try next time you head to Arlington.

Really? Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to try this out next time. It would probably do wonders for my blood pressure, regardless :whistling:

That wont be a freeway.

It will be an expressway (more so a jersey freeway than anything else) which in this case, it will be traffic light free with bridges going over the signalized intersections and/or providing right in/right outs with no median break along US 1.

Seems like the Jersey Freeway concept would work well. It beats the alternative to continually adding new lanes. Reducing lights would make life much easier.

I don't think upgrading Capital in this manner would take 30 years, nor should the funds to pay for this upgrade affect TTA Phase 2. It seems like the TTA phase 1 fight is hard enough, phase 2 will be even tougher, IMO

Seems like the Jersey Freeway concept would work well. It beats the alternative to continually adding new lanes. Reducing lights would make life much easier.

I don't think upgrading Capital in this manner would take 30 years, nor should the funds to pay for this upgrade affect TTA Phase 2. It seems like the TTA phase 1 fight is hard enough, phase 2 will be even tougher, IMO

Unfortunately, neither one of these mentioned will be considered. TTA seems to be dead, phase II is so far out if this project gets going, we could possibly be dead. Also, the conversion to a RIRO road would be postponed for so many years it isn't funny. The city is banking on the ITS for Capital to really help that road out. Unfortunately again, that is just wishful thinking. Intelligent traffic signals aren't going to help that much. There are just too many vehicles on that road period. I would like to see Capital Blvd. turned into a RIRo, i've been saying that for years. But I don't see the city/state considering that one for a while.

Unfortunately, neither one of these mentioned will be considered. TTA seems to be dead, phase II is so far out if this project gets going, we could possibly be dead. Also, the conversion to a RIRO road would be postponed for so many years it isn't funny. The city is banking on the ITS for Capital to really help that road out. Unfortunately again, that is just wishful thinking. Intelligent traffic signals aren't going to help that much. There are just too many vehicles on that road period. I would like to see Capital Blvd. turned into a RIRo, i've been saying that for years. But I don't see the city/state considering that one for a while.

I agree. :(

The city would easily spend money to keep adding lanes, but for some reason won't look at different ideas

I have made the trip to D.C. and even just the trip to Wake Forest hundreds of times (literally) and promise you the time using capital blvd or 64, even with the bypass, is the same because you are going 45 miles out of your way. Average travel time up capital is about 30 mph including stops to WF and about 55 to I-85 so 70mph along the length of 64/95 makes it about the same. For me at 12 mpg it costs $8-$10 more to go 64/95.

Capital between 440 and 540 will never ever be anything more than a Jersey Freeway with jughandles. You are talking hundreds of businesses with no other curb cut available to them. I think the new traffic light system will make that portion fairly easy to navigate. You could alleviate alot of pressure on Capital along that stretch if some of the parallel streets behind Adventure Landing on the east and from say Trawick to Westinghouse on the west for instance were connected. I have no choice but to joing to the frackus to get from the Parker Lincoln Building to Burger King until Stonybrook gets punched through.

I have made the trip to D.C. and even just the trip to Wake Forest hundreds of times (literally) and promise you the time using capital blvd or 64, even with the bypass, is the same because you are going 45 miles out of your way. Average travel time up capital is about 30 mph including stops to WF and about 55 to I-85 so 70mph along the length of 64/95 makes it about the same. For me at 12 mpg it costs $8-$10 more to go 64/95.

Sounds like you need a little more fuel economy in your ride. :)

Actually, it is only about 10 miles longer to go 64 as opposed to US-1, if you start in downtown. The stopping and starting alone would make up the gas mileage, not to mention the peace of mind of not having to deal with Capital Blvd.

I guess we can just agree to disagree. I choose to avoid Capital Blvd at all cost, and in this case it works out well.

This would be a great thing if it could ever happen. I have to drive to Henderson about twice a week and I loathe US1. From I-540 to Durant is bad, but it is just as bad all the way up through Wake Forest. I remember when 540 and the Plantation Inn were "out there." It is amazing how much further north the development goes. Stinkin' sprawl!

In Maryland north of DC on I-270 there is extensive use of 'local' & 'non-local' lanes. I could see the same concept used on Capital Blvd. The 'local' lanes would be used to access businesses and then the non-local lanes would be the freeway, and instead of double exits like I-270 there would just be exits to the local traffic lanes which would have at-grade intersections with secondary roads. An example of this is I-595 in broward county florida (ft. lauderdale) as it approaches I-75 and the palmetto. Florida route 84 is used to access businesses. Exits from the interstate exit to this road and then can turn around to access buildings on the other side or continue to streets.

Sounds like you need a little more fuel economy in your ride. :)

Actually, it is only about 10 miles longer to go 64 as opposed to US-1, if you start in downtown. The stopping and starting alone would make up the gas mileage, not to mention the peace of mind of not having to deal with Capital Blvd.

I guess we can just agree to disagree. I choose to avoid Capital Blvd at all cost, and in this case it works out well.

I'm not trying to parse this too znnoyingly, but I also live in downtown, and am curious to know what section of US1 the 10 miles accounts for. Are you talking about downtown to the confluence of 85/95? Because if that difference is only 10 miles, there's no way I'll take Capital ever again! I was under the impression it was a greater distance out of the way, somewhere in the ballpark of what Jones suggested....interested to hear both your takes on this.

I'm not trying to parse this too znnoyingly, but I also live in downtown, and am curious to know what section of US1 the 10 miles accounts for. Are you talking about downtown to the confluence of 85/95? Because if that difference is only 10 miles, there's no way I'll take Capital ever again! I was under the impression it was a greater distance out of the way, somewhere in the ballpark of what Jones suggested....interested to hear both your takes on this.

No problem, I'm just trying to help a brother out. Here goes......

I-85 and I-95 meet in Petersburg, VA. If you take Capital Blvd/US-1/I-85, it is 131 miles from downtown Raleigh to that intersection in Petersburg. If you take the 64-bypass/I-95, it is 144 miles to that intersection. So that comes out to be 13 miles difference. It is worth the extra 13 miles to avoid the driving hell that is Capital Blvd/US-1.

Plus, it is an easier hook up with I-295 around Petersburg and Richmond if you happen to be approaching Richmond during rush hour time.

Hope that helps.

Though not completely related, the NCDOT has some cool information on the US1 expansion project in Cary. For the longest time this has been just a four lane freeway, but it is getting expanded to 8 lanes. Two of the interchanges are getting upgrades and there will also be a pedestrian bridge for Cary's growing greenway system.

These photos are from the NCDOT website. Here is what the freeway looked like originally:

CaryDB10.jpg

And here is what it will look like when completed. This also shows a nice rendering of the pedestrian bridge. It isn't as fancy as the one near Wade Ave, but it still doesn't look bad. They already have one half of it in place, over the northbound lanes.

photorenderingofbridgefull.jpg

No problem, I'm just trying to help a brother out. Here goes......

I-85 and I-95 meet in Petersburg, VA. If you take Capital Blvd/US-1/I-85, it is 131 miles from downtown Raleigh to that intersection in Petersburg. If you take the 64-bypass/I-95, it is 144 miles to that intersection. So that comes out to be 13 miles difference. It is worth the extra 13 miles to avoid the driving hell that is Capital Blvd/US-1.

Plus, it is an easier hook up with I-295 around Petersburg and Richmond if you happen to be approaching Richmond during rush hour time.

Hope that helps.

Being a mileage geek, it is exactly 266 miles from my apartment parking lot to my parents' house in Arlington. I have also noted that the 95/85 intersection is the exact half way point.

Thanks for the info, looks like I have a new route! It's a shame, though, I like 85 through that stretch.

Being a mileage geek, it is exactly 266 miles from my apartment parking lot to my parents' house in Arlington. I have also noted that the 95/85 intersection is the exact half way point.

Thanks for the info, looks like I have a new route! It's a shame, though, I like 85 through that stretch.

I did one from the the Capital to Alexandria and it was about 20 miles difference. I am usually leaving early on a weekend morning so Capital never gives me a problem then. Plus I feel even more isolated on the 95 stretch between Rocky Mount and Petersburg than I do on 85 from Henderson to Petersburg....but like Boylan says, that really is just my preference to stick to 1/85/95.

If the cost to run the lighting is an issue, why doesn't NCDOT install some kind of timer on the lights that would turn them off at around 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning. Even the US 311 bypass in lowly High Point has lighting at the interchanges. Maybe just having lights at the interchanges in Raleigh would be an improvement.

If we're talking news, then the reason you still see "Raleigh, NC" and "Charlotte, NC" is because neither are within the sphere of American cities in the Associated Press Style Guide that do not require a state modifier.

Atlanta

Detroit

Minneapolis

Salt Lake City

Baltimore

Honolulu

New Orleans

San Antonio

Boston

Houston

New York

San Diego