POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a quick question... You keep hearing these apocalyptic statements from everyone about the "market"... Is it that bad? Sales still seem to be steady or going up here, even if prices are down a bit from their historic highs... Huh...

Outstanding... Especially if those restaurants have some street level entrances, that'll jazz up the streetscape and feeling of vitality of that area of Weybosset overnight (which currently is as dead as a doornail).

I guess the problem is that most of the yakking has just been banter about the rumor du jour. Now that there is solid news there is nothing to argue about.

I am glad it is still going to be a W. I share Cotuit's parking concern. And I am dying for new floorplans.

I have a feeling that once the several new condo projects actually are open/finished, sales will pick up. RIers tend to be skeptical, they want concrete (no pun intended) evidence of what it will look like, etc.

I think BlueChip, Intercontinental, and TPG should pool some funds for some ads in Boston and NY to draw a few people who might relocate to Providence and thier properties.

Like a "Look what we've built in Providence" type campaign highlighting the cities improvements and upcoming amenity enhancements (renovated dunk, skywalks, commuter rail to airport, etc.)

I think BlueChip, Intercontinental, and TPG should pool some funds for some ads in Boston and NY to draw a few people who might relocate to Providence and thier properties.

Like a "Look what we've built in Providence" type campaign highlighting the cities improvements and upcoming amenity enhancements (renovated dunk, skywalks, commuter rail to airport, etc.)

No you are not. :)

The parking bit is a bit worrisome. I do not as many of you know subscribe to the notion that there is not enough parking downtown, but I do subscribe to the notion that it is not easy to find or navigate. In the next 28 months, the city should embark on a mission to make Downtown parking make more sense with better signage, enforcement of existing regulation, and should (yes, they should) consider options for more parking (Grant's Block, the Courthouse, E@B, the crazy Pez dispenser proposal on Weybosset...).

First of all... Finally, some great news :)

Just a quick question... You keep hearing these apocalyptic statements from everyone about the "market"... Is it that bad? Sales still seem to be steady or going up here, even if prices are down a bit from their historic highs... Huh...

Outstanding... Especially if those restaurants have some street level entrances, that'll jazz up the streetscape and feeling of vitality of that area of Weybosset overnight (which currently is as dead as a doornail).

Am I the only one here crazily looking forward to that "W" sign :)?

- Garris

They already have (well not teamed up, I doubt that will happen) at least in the gay press in Boston, which is actually New England-wide press.

I think I remember a DMA or DID ad in the last issue of Innewsweekly I read too, advertising Providence in general as a place to visit.

the key is a callaborative effort to show all 3 properties. Pooling thier efforts could get them more advertising bang and it could be used to get people to "look (and live) at (in) Providence"

the target market result is a "wow, look at all thats going on in Providence, that place looks hot, maybe I should move there"

Nice to hear some good news.

Regarding parking: Someone on another forum suggested that there is one simple mark of a city that is dense, walkable, desirable and happening--it has a parking problem. Cities where parking is most difficult and expensive--NY/SF/BOS--are America's better cities. While I'm an urban enthusiast who supports more than car-based development, I don't rule out the importance of accommodating cars as one of several modes of transportation. But Providence isn't special for its accessibility by automobile. Take every complaint about parking in Providence as an indication of its upswing.

The parking bit is a bit worrisome. I do not as many of you know subscribe to the notion that there is not enough parking downtown, but I do subscribe to the notion that it is not easy to find or navigate. In the next 28 months, the city should embark on a mission to make Downtown parking make more sense with better signage, enforcement of existing regulation, and should (yes, they should) consider options for more parking (Grant's Block, the Courthouse, E@B, the crazy Pez dispenser proposal on Weybosset...).

I think we will start seeing garage proposals for some of the lots that are now surface parking. If we can just combine them with some liner storefronts to camoflage their true purpose I think they would be a good addition. What I would really like to see is a large scale municipal parking garage(s) proposal that would undercut all the surface lots and effectively make them obsolete. If there is cheap 24hour parking available then those lots will be more valuable as buildings than as parking.

No you are not. :)

WELL I WASN'T POSTING DUE TO the huge HANGOVER b/c last night was my 21st b-day celebration :):)

here are my thoughts on the article..

1. Cant wait to see the new render with the W logo.

2. Isn't there a (planned) parking garage close to the W (on Weybosset) that brought up the discussion of those fully robotic garages in Asia and the new one in NYC? I dont think we had renders but I swear there was an article somewhere.

I have a feeling that once the several new condo projects actually are open/finished, sales will pick up. RIers tend to be skeptical, they want concrete (no pun intended) evidence of what it will look like, etc.

Archived