Roanoke development

StevenRocks

It appears our downtown growth is gathering some attention from our friends in Richmond. I think it is great. So many positive things have happened to downtown Richmond recently from what you all have been saying. Anyone have any opinion on the projects these developers are involved with? Hmmm.... am I sensing some momentum?

http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/56786

This is great news! It seems if you can get the ball rolling fast enough others may also gain interest and perhaps a construction wave will hit DT Roanoke. :good:

It looks like you've attracted some top developers from Richmond. American Tobacco apartments in The Bottom used to be the Shockoe Bottom Arts Center. Pohlig Brothers Building was an old ante bellum warehouse that served as a hospital during the Civil War. Both of these projects in Richmond are first class all the way and are sold out.

Roanoke, judging from their comments and pictures you guys post, would seem like a great investment opportunity for developers and potential tenants.

Agreed... there are so many awesome redevelopment projects of historic buildings that have taken place in Richmond. It's great that they are eyeing roanoke as a place to bring their trade.... old buildings can make stunning living spaces. Good luck!

Agreed... there are so many awesome redevelopment projects of historic buildings that have taken place in Richmond. It's great that they are eyeing roanoke as a place to bring their trade.... old buildings can make stunning living spaces. Good luck!

Thanks! I am usually an optomistic person but try to temper it with realism and I am more hopeful about Roanoke taking significant strides forward at this time than any of the seven previous years. We shall see. The elections in early May will really tell us a lot...... but I suppose that should come under a political thread if someone wants to start one.

• 2 weeks later...

If a trolley line were run up and down the Jefferson corridor as has been proposed, it might also be a good mid-point stop. I think Carilion should buy and renovate the building. They own practically everything along Jefferson between McLanahan and Elm Ave anyway. Maybe it could be a Carilion reception/banquet hall.

Great news about roanoke valley greenways :thumbsup:

Looks like a industrial bioenzyme company is donating $250,000, volunteer labor and a free supply of their tree growth stimulant for new trees to the roanoke vallley greenways commission. Maybe they're trying to get good press after having a nasty accident a while back involving a massive fish kill in Mason Creek.

roanoke times

Anyway, it should inspire some other companies to step up to the plate. And $250,000 is nothing to laugh at on its own. Maybe carilion will donate a few hundred million :D

Brief article from Roanoke.com says a new hotel is planned for the biomedical park.

"In a project that adds food and lodging to Roanoke's biomedical park coming online this year, a developer has committed to building a 127-room Cambria Suites hotel and a restaurant on Reserve Avenue at Franklin Road."

Link probably won't last long but for the time being here's the story.

Being a bit generous there calling the other building under construction a tower.

Great news about roanoke valley greenways :thumbsup:

Looks like a industrial bioenzyme company is donating $250,000, volunteer labor and a free supply of their tree growth stimulant for new trees to the roanoke vallley greenways commission. Maybe they're trying to get good press after having a nasty accident a while back involving a massive fish kill in Mason Creek.

roanoke times

Anyway, it should inspire some other companies to step up to the plate. And $250,000 is nothing to laugh at on its own. Maybe carilion will donate a few hundred million :D

I liked this news. Business stepping up to invest in the community could help speed many projects. How about Advance Auto? They may contribute significantly already for all I know, but hey Roanoke's one and only Fortune 500 could probably help a bit.

A developer has annonced plans to build a Cambria Suites on the new biomedical park near downtown. This will be the third building constructed on the sight. I googled Cambria and it turns out to be a new upscale line of hotels. The one being built in Boise looks pretty nice. Here is the brief breaking news link from the Times.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/60431

I just saw that article online and was about to mention it when I saw two posts about it already. More and more, I'm sensing that the biomedical park and surrounding jefferson corridor area will be the primary development hotspot in the Roanoke Valley for years to come:

Roanoke memorial expansion, New condos/apartments at Jefferson/McLanahan( I think they're called Fairfax), renovation of the virginian train station, the roanoke river greenway, and of course the development of the biomedical park itself.

BTW I agree with Electricmonk, a 5 story building is not a tower, I would say a building should be at least 12 stories to merit that distinction.

I just saw that article online and was about to mention it when I saw two posts about it already. More and more, I'm sensing that the biomedical park and surrounding jefferson corridor area will be the primary development hotspot in the Roanoke Valley for years to come:
It's about the only piece of flat, undeveloped land left in the Valley.

6 stories.. a tower for sure. :P I want to know exactly where this hotel will go up. If it was adjacent to the river it might be really neat once the flood project/greenway is completed. I thought I read it would be next to the buildings currently under construction but I'm not certain which direction. Hopefully most of the buildings in this area will be at least 5 stories. It could potentially extend Downtown's skyline all the way to Roanoke Memorial if there are a few 'towers' in the 10-12 story range mixed in.

Ok I just read on an earlier post... Reserve and Franklin... North of the river -probably on the north side of reserve because there's a parks and rec building on the south side.

FLASH!

In case you guys in Roanoke have not heard, go to Timesdispatch.com, look on the right of today's Home page to Latest News and read the story about Toyota pondering a site near Roanoke for an assembly plant. It could mean LOTS of jobs!

Edited by burt