Roanoke development

StevenRocks

Thanks, I've been looking for this since I saw it on the news about 2 weeks ago, though the first two were part of the orignal plan that included a trolley, which I dont think is on this one :(, oh well. but I like the parking garage idea.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it.

Edited by weill

:silly: A roundabout for Roanoke. roanoke times

I'm all for this. I live on Monument Ave. in Richmond right now, and the roundabout at Lee's statue is great. There are other circles on Monument, but only that one functions as a true traffic circle. The others still have lights and don't utilize the 'yield to traffic in circle' theory.

The Social Secruity building in the Gainsboro area isnt going to happen anytime soon, as the Roanoke Planning Commission voted in down because it would close part of Henry and First Streets. This is bad, the building is supposed to be 5 storys and would be great for this area.

I don't like the idea of closing those streets. The area is already somewhat isolated form the downtown core and reducing vehicular access more won't help things.

I agree- closing those streets seems like yet another step in dismantling what Henry Street once was.

Definately would lead to more isolation. They could almost turn Henry Street into a pedestrian mall if they do that, which would be a bad idea for that area.

Although I do think closing off streets is usually bad for the vitality of an area and you are probably right about that in this situation, pedestrian malls aren't always a disaster. Look at Downtown Charlottesville. Also, isn't the 1st st/henry st. bridge permanantly closed to vehicles? If so, maybe it would be alright to make Henry st. Pedestrian only (south of wells). On weill's map, it looked like part of Well's ave, was highlighted as a stretch that would be closed. Now that would be terrible for the area. Wells connects that part of gainsboro to williamson rd/581.

I understand that the road closing requirements are due to federal regulations regarding terrorist bombings...ie timothy mcveigh's van.

Maybe, there could be a compromise.. they could close one side of the street and make it 1 way. You could have parallel parking on both sides of the 1 lane/1way street (like Church ave between Jefferson and 1st street), and the remaining area would be a pedestrian court or park like area. Maybe there would still be a big enough buffer around the building this way.

Edited by mclawsdrive

This is a tough one. My first reaction to opposition was "oh no here we go again". I really think the offices are better kept downtown and I was glad to see the airport sight turned down. However, in light of what they are trying to do with Henry Street, I'm not sure this fits at that specific location. Maybe there is another location downtown that would better suit the new building? Perhaps even still near the hotel area site to keep employees there as potential lunch customers for the new Henry Street cafe's or boutiques etc., just not on top of Henry/First Street as this is, cutting it off from further development of that kind.

Edited by bmedguy

Ideally, it would be in the 'government district' between 2nd and 4th, Day and Salem. That area contains the vast majority of courts, and facilities of the local, state and federal govt in the roanoke valley. There is a huge parking lot in front of the transportation museum and another smaller lot next to the roanoke times across campbell from city hall. There would be plenty of room there for the soc. security building and a parking garage.