Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I went to school in Connecticut and graduated last year, but moved back home to New Hampshire. Unfortunately, while financially it's a great situation, I'm going insane living at home. I "discovered" Providence while cutting through it on 195 on my way to the Cape last year. I-195 has a much better view of the city than 95 affords. The view made the city look really appealing so a few weeks later I visited and immediately I really liked the city. This summer I brought down friends and family for weekends to Providence for the Waterfire events and they really enjoyed it as well (As a side note, Providence should really invest in a tourism campaign aimed at Southern NH - Everyone I talk to about the city either doesn't know a thing about it, or thinks it's a county in South Carolina)

I would love to move down to Providence, but would really need to have a job lined up first in order to. I graduated with a degree in journalism, and now do temp work for Fidelity and some freelance for papers up here. I guess my question is, Is there some kind of office down there in Providence I could go to that could help me find a decent job down there? I don't mind going down there for the day at all. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Cotuit

I would love to move down to Providence, but would really need to have a job lined up first in order to. I graduated with a degree in journalism, and now do temp work for Fidelity and some freelance for papers up here. I guess my question is, Is there some kind of office down there in Providence I could go to that could help me find a decent job down there? I don't mind going down there for the day at all. Thanks for your help.

Technically the part of your post I striked out violates our rules, you're not allowed to create posts looking for help with jobs, but yes, there are several temp agancies and employment agencies in Providence that can help you with finding a job. I moved here without a job and used temp agencies to get work.

I went to school in Connecticut and graduated last year, but moved back home to New Hampshire. Unfortunately, while financially it's a great situation, I'm going insane living at home. I "discovered" Providence while cutting through it on 195 on my way to the Cape last year. I-195 has a much better view of the city than 95 affords. The view made the city look really appealing so a few weeks later I visited and immediately I really liked the city. This summer I brought down friends and family for weekends to Providence for the Waterfire events and they really enjoyed it as well (As a side note, Providence should really invest in a tourism campaign aimed at Southern NH - Everyone I talk to about the city either doesn't know a thing about it, or thinks it's a county in South Carolina)

Here you go: http://www.networkri.org/. There are no "unemployment" offices per se. Now they're Network RI offices. The offices are run by the R.I. Dept of Labor and Training. The Pawtucket office downtown is the better of the branches; its' right across the street from Slater Mill.

(As a side note, Providence should really invest in a tourism campaign aimed at Southern NH - Everyone I talk to about the city either doesn't know a thing about it, or thinks it's a county in South Carolina)

That is funny you write that, as I had friends down this weekend from Salem, NH. We went to Bravo for dinner and then to Tazza for drinks. Driving through Providence they said "wow, this is a REAL city, I like it a lot" and then somewhat surprisingly "it is so clean", guess the downcity improvement district is working.

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Anyway...

My wife and I find out on Thursday afternoon (Match Day) if we're moving to Providence in July. Very exciting. She got a great vibe at her residency interviews and I've found a great lead on a postdoc. I can hardly wait.

A couple weeks back we drove up from our house in CT to visit and I just fell in love with Federal Hill. Wasn't planning on being a landlord before that, but I've realized that if we want to live there, we pretty much have to buy a multifamily. Is this indeed the case?

Wasn't planning on being a landlord before that, but I've realized that if we want to live there, we pretty much have to buy a multifamily. Is this indeed the case?

Well you certainly can not be a landord, but if you feel you can swing it, it's certainly a good way to offset your mortgage.

ehhh ..... love providence, but when i lived in federal hill the rats were terrible at night...

I'm not sure what's changed, since we haven't seen the rat proof trash can project reach here yet, but the rat situation seems to have subsided a great deal, at least on my block.

It's all about how you and your neighbors take care of your garbage. If you throw it in your driveway, or up against your house or in an alley and leave it til pick up day, then you're gonna have rats. If you put it in a snapping barrel though and don't just carelessly leave it lying around, then you'll be fine. I wish someone would tell my neighbors upstairs this, who love to leave their half open garbage bags lying up against the side of the house.

I'm not sure what's changed, since we haven't seen the rat proof trash can project reach here yet, but the rat situation seems to have subsided a great deal, at least on my block.

Were you being sarcastic, or is there really a "rat proof trash can project" floating around in providence? I've heard of cities cleaning up neighborhoods with a program like this that also involved destroying nesting sites and using poison, and those metal trash cans don't cost too much money.

I lived at vinton and tell and it doesn't take a genius to notice the rat problem there was (or perhaps still is) a big problem there. A few weeks after I moved in my roommate's boyfriend came over, and while he was helping to bring the trash cans to the curb a rat ran from inside the can and halfway up his arm. They were visible every night (I know because I walked home from work at midnight), especially garbage night. The whole neighborhood is pretty much renters, and there is garbage strewn all up and down the street. The garbage cans that are available to tenants have no lids, and most of them also have convenient holes chewed up by rats at the bottom. Not surprisingly, most renters didn't care enough to buy new garbage cans, clean up their sidewalks... in effect the neighborhood had a "slum" feel. I didn't mind it as the rents were cheaper than nicer areas of the city, and that our apartment was on the top floor and kept clean enough not to draw them in.

Were you being sarcastic, or is there really a "rat proof trash can project" floating around in providence? I've heard of cities cleaning up neighborhoods with a program like this that also involved destroying nesting sites and using poison, and those metal trash cans don't cost too much money.

Yes, green barrels with attached lids that the trash collectors attach to the truck and the truck lifts and dumps it. They're in Olneyville now I think.

Yes there is a rat-proof Trash can project... The city calls it the Big Green Can and they have been buying and distributing them to certain neighborhoods. They did the Summit neighborhood about 6 weeks ago and we now have THREE of these monster trash cans at the 3-family house where I rent. Each living unit in the city gets a can, not each house, so it is understandable that it would take awhile for them to be fully purchased and distributed. And each one comes with a packet of information, in spanish and english, from the city about how to use it properly to alleviate the rat problem.

What I dont understand is why Summit got them before Federal Hill.... I think we have more of a raccoon-type pest problem here... regardless, since we got the big green cans, i havent had to clean up any toppled trash barrels and ripped open bags with last weeks dinner strewn everywhere...

Also, the cans have serial numbers on them and the city assigns them to a specific address. They stipulate in the literature packet that they are the property of the city and MUST remain at the address to which they were assigned.

Edited by KBagley

The theory is politics. Someone will need to remind me on election day why I should vote for Lombardi for anything.

Yea, Mt. Pleasant didn't make the cut either... but we do have those nice Cianci sidewalks from one of his mayoral campaigns. Only a few "swing vote" neighborhoods in the city got 'em.

The rats are a problem over here too, but I don't worry about them since they're too damn big to squeeze through a crack and get in my house. Reading about the one running up the guy's arm from under the trash can lid was creepy at first, then I laughed!

Warwick has had the automated trash cans for a few years... here's some info:

http://www.warwickri.gov/recycsanit/auto.htm

ehhh ..... love providence, but when i lived in federal hill the rats were terrible at night... if you do buy i suggest you move into an upper level

they are still terrible. They have moved on from eating garbage to eating cars.

regarding sidewalks, i think, (someone from the city might be able to straighten me out if i'm wrong) that the city sidewalk contracts were broken up into chunks, and each chunk had a different contractor. Plus, in some cases, sidewalks were done that needed to be done, and in other cases sidewalks were done because your name was on some mysterious sidewalk list. When it was sidewalk season i made a list of all the addresses in my immediate neighborhood (about three blocks in each direction from my house) of sidewalks that were dangerous and submitted it. I do not think any of them got done, unfortunately.

regarding sidewalks, i think, (someone from the city might be able to straighten me out if i'm wrong) that the city sidewalk contracts were broken up into chunks, and each chunk had a different contractor. Plus, in some cases, sidewalks were done that needed to be done, and in other cases sidewalks were done because your name was on some mysterious sidewalk list. When it was sidewalk season i made a list of all the addresses in my immediate neighborhood (about three blocks in each direction from my house) of sidewalks that were dangerous and submitted it. I do not think any of them got done, unfortunately.

Who in theory should we be contacting about sidewalks? I've asked several people who should know, and I've gotten as many different answers...

- Garris

Who in theory should we be contacting about sidewalks? I've asked several people who should know, and I've gotten as many different answers...

- Garris

They did major sidewalk work last spring in my neighborhood (North End, up off Smithfield Ave.). To get a sidewalk built where none exists (or fix one I assume) call your council person and ask for a request form. Fill out the request form and generally in about 2 years you should see a result. At least that is what Carol Ramano, our council woman told me, and it seems to be true. My next door neighbor put in a request for a new sidewalk when I moved in, and two years later she got her sidewalk.

- Garris

I know this is getting a hair OT, but does anyone know who handles trees planted in the sidewalks? I was under the impression that it was the city's responsibility but I may be wrong. We have a dying tree in front of our house that is becoming a safety hazzard as limbs are starting to fall off of it. I have left 3 or 4 messages for the city Arborist office but no calls back. I wasnt sure whether I wasnt getting call backs because it is actually my responsibility or....

I know this is getting a hair OT, but does anyone know who handles trees planted in the sidewalks? I was under the impression that it was the city's responsibility but I may be wrong. We have a dying tree in front of our house that is becoming a safety hazzard as limbs are starting to fall off of it. I have left 3 or 4 messages for the city Arborist office but no calls back. I wasnt sure whether I wasnt getting call backs because it is actually my responsibility or....

as usual, its convoluted. The city forrester will take it down if its dead, but you are responsible for it when its living...I'm sure Jen C. can help put you in touch with the right person.

My wife and I find out on Thursday afternoon (Match Day) if we're moving to Providence in July. Very exciting. She got a great vibe at her residency interviews and I've found a great lead on a postdoc. I can hardly wait.

Well, it's official. Ready or not, we're coming to the Providence.

Now I just hope it's half as cool as you people make it sound. :)

Well, it's official. Ready or not, we're coming to the Providence.

Now I just hope it's half as cool as you people make it sound. :)

Congrats! What field did she match in? I'm in an internal medicine subspecialty fellowship, and would be happy to answer any questions about the hospital...

Oh, and while we all love Providence silly, I'd agree with Cotuit that others probably think it's 2/3rds as cool we do :D.

- Garris