Raleigh/Duham where's your Resort At?

Tayfromcarolina

Is the Triangle Overdue for a Golf Resort  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Triangle Overdue for a Golf Resort

• Yes
    • No

I went on a trip via I-40 to Atlanta from Raleigh a few years ago and noticed a Large Golfing Resort called Grandover just outside of Greensboro. I also learned that since a similar Golf and Convention Center was built in Charlotte.

So I'm wondering why is a population base like that Triangle lacking a Serious Golf/Convention Center Community. Especially with Southern Pines, "The Golf Capital of the World" a little over an hour away.

I'm thinking that Raleigh and Durham are long overdue for a similar large scale development. Maybe somewhere along interstate 40 or maybe north of the Airport Along 540 in the Brier Creek area. What are your thoughts on this?

photos.jpg

Grandover Resort- Greensboro/High Point, NC

home_11.jpg

Ballantyne Resort- Charlotte, NC

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a golf player so maybe I just don't get it, but I don't see the need for a golf community here. How many people are going to come to Raleigh for a golf resort? Besides, like you said, Southern Pines is just over an hour away.

Although I guess I should say that NCSU is planning on building a hotel/convention center with a golf course in the southern part of its Centennial Campus. It's on the master plan, but it's not funded and won't get underway for a long time yet. I can understand the need for the conference center/hotel, but I find myself hoping the golf course gets nixed. Why not preserve some of the forest around Lake Raleigh as a park, and let it do double duty as forestry/wildlife research grounds? That might give Centennial some much-needed personality.

Yeah Raleigh does need something like Ballantyne or Grandover...  something in the burbs with a bigass golf course and all the amenities of a resort... Possibly off 540 somewhere - like ballantyne is off 485

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They certainly could use one in the Triangle, but I'm not sure who would build it. Ballantyne and Grandover were spearheaded by local developers that wanted a showcase for their acomplishments. The Raleigh area doesn't really have a Smokey Bissell or Joe Koury type that would do something like that. The closest comparisinin the Triangle would be John Kane, but he's redeveloping University Mall and North Hills right now.

• 1 year later...

I think you answered your own question. I don't really think its worth it with Pinehurst in such close proximity. Granted, Pinehurst kinda sits equidistant from the Triangle, Triad and Charlotte, but I think we have the best road access to it. Besides, I think resorts seem a little better when they are beyond the burbs and isoalted a bit. If you're going to drive 45 minutes away from downtown to get to one, you might as well just go another 15-30 minutes to Pinehurst.

I'd see a theme park showing up before a resort. I'm not sure how well they are doing nationally(instinct tells me that they are probably struggling, and if they aren't then rising gas prices will soon take care of that), but if they start expanding anytime , I'd expect maybe a six flags etc near the Triangle.

I'm talking a course without houses on it. None of these new projects. I think the city should step up and get a municipal course and make it similar to a Beth Page Black course in Long Island where it is in a park with no houses and just golf is played. There is ample land in the city to house a championship golf course. It would be interesting to see something like this happen. Not necessary, but it would be pretty cool.

I went on a trip via I-40 to Atlanta from Raleigh a few years ago and noticed a Large Golfing Resort called Grandover just outside of Greensboro. I also learned that since a similar Golf and Convention Center was built in Charlotte.

So I'm wondering why is a population base like that Triangle lacking a Serious Golf/Convention Center Community. Especially with Southern Pines, "The Golf Capital of the World" a little over an hour away.

I'm thinking that Raleigh and Durham are long overdue for a similar large scale development. Maybe somewhere along interstate 40 or maybe north of the Airport Along 540 in the Brier Creek area. What are your thoughts on this?

photos.jpg

Grandover Resort- Greensboro/High Point, NC

P1010890.jpg

Ballantyne Resort- Charlotte, NC

The Triangle already has plenty of golf *courses* but no *resorts*, since Southern Pines has this wrapped up. The three "new kids on the block" courses been built in the last 10+ years -- Preston, Wakefield, and Brier Creek-- did not feel the need to have (or leave room to construct in the future) resort amenities like a hotel and spa. The "old timers" -- Washington Duke, Raleigh Country Club (near Wake Med), Carolina Country Club (on Glenwood between Five Points and Oberlin, former home of Bloomsbury Park) North Ridge, etc. -- have no intentions of upgrading either. New exurb courses like Riverwood in Clayton only have a golf course to raise property values on an otherwise worthless piece of land miles away from the nearest city core.

Pinehurst is nice, but is really in a world of its own, and likes it that way. It will never be "Raleigh's resort/playground", but will probably be a retirement mecca for baby boomers.

Raleigh CC, despite being not that far from downtown and a Donald Ross design, has had declining membership in recent years and may just build houses into the fairways. I haven't played in years, but would hate to see this happen. This site would be *perfect* for a Raleigh muni course and could give a shot in the arm to development in that area just inside the eastern part of the beltline near Wake Med.

The Centennial project (course and hotel/convention center) was being sold as multi-purpose:

- gives a home course to the NC State golf team

- a teaching labratory for turf managment, environmental engineering, and hospitality managment programs

- can replace the sorry university club in west raleigh near the vet school

State could/should partner with an existing course for these needs, with several not that far away. The resort industry (read Pinehurst, Ballentine, and Grandover) *don't* want the competition of a Centennial course, and have cried foul that such a course would be propped up with taxpayer dollars funneled through the university.

In the mid-90s, it was suggested you would be able to take the TTA train -> NCSU monorail -> the course by 2007-08, but now it looks like all three of these projects may not happen.

EDIT: Better formatting of "train trip".

I heard this too, that the NCSU course will not be developed. I don't understand what is going on over that school. How can their be no support or funding for that course. You have the land, they layout already mapped out. For a school that has two very successful golf alumni on the PGA tour, you would think that they could get it together and make a school course happen. Its pretty sad if you ask me. Centennial is a great place for a golf course/resort and would help the school out tremendously. The original plans had tee boxes and greens with downtown vistas. How cool would that have been.

Raleigh Country Club is actually doing quite well, from what I understand. There was trouble a few years ago, as renovations drove prices up and some members fled to Wakefield. Thanks to John Mcconnell, a local millionaire who bailed the CC out of bankruptcy, I think RCC is probably one of the more exclusive clubs in the area right now. here is an interesting link, for anyone who cares about this type of thing. http://www.donaldrosssociety.org/MEMBERS/R...CountryClub.htm

Archived