Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Just for the record, the site she is using, pbase.com, pulls that info off of the EXIF header in the digital image, the bonus here being that if you hit the little "full exif" tag, it will give you a ton of info, e.g.

Yup, many of the gallery sites, though, give you the option to turn off that option, so I'm very glad she left it on so we can learn! :thumbsup:

I'm an a photog dullard, but pbase has, I think, the best collection of photo artists and also seems to have been designed for photogs rather than for selling digital prints. I got turned onto them back when I bought my first digi in 1999, they came highly recommended on one of the review sties, maybe Dpreview.com.

Yup, it seems to be (along with fotopic.net) one of the premiere gallery sites out there, although none of them are great, in my mind.

I've been looking to move my gallery over to one of these "canned" sites now, just because more of the functions are automated (I myself even hate looking by my own site needing to open the separate imageshack.us window to display individual images). I've been playing around with fotopic.net for a week and haven't been impressed... I'll try pbase next.

Do you have any experiences with gallery sites you've liked?

- Garris

Edited by Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd post some recent photos from here in Providence. I've been working on trying to take some photos outside of my comfort zone of urban streetscapes, photos of scenes that are more targeted and perhaps more intimate (with mixed success thus far). This effort is reflected more in the Brown photos below than in the first two I've posted.

So, to start, I was driving down Dean Street and noticed an interesting view. While I doubt I'll add it to my list of favorite shots, here is a sunset shot of a skyline perspective we don't often see. This is the view from the West part of Washington Street.

washingtonskyline1smkz9.jpg

At the same time, the cathedral at sunset:

cathedralsunsetbw9.jpg

The courthouse with the setting sun:

courthousesmao0.jpg

One of my co-workers was looking for good photographs of Brown University, and couldn't find many he liked, including from Brown's media department. He asked me if I had any and I realized that, despite living blocks away, I have virtually none. So this is the beginning of an effort to shoot Brown. One flaw is that I don't know the undergraduate/graduate campus experience at all, so I'm just looking for interesting scenes and guessing at which buildings or views would trigger waves of nostalgia from alums. Any guidance here would be appreciated!

The Brown Clock Tower at sunset:

tower1smzo3.jpg

Buildings on the College Green at sunset:

brownquadsunset2smoj9.jpg

A window through a window as seen on the Wriston Quadrangle:

windowsmcs8.jpg

An entrance to a Brown building I didn't catch the name of at dusk:

browndoorwaydusk11smaz5.jpg

Brown dorms:

browndorms1smhg3.jpg

A church window on the Brown campus at dusk:

brownchurchwindowdusk1smok6.jpg

There's something I both dislike but also really like about this shot, as the Brown Science Library at sunset towers over the shorterer, older, shadowed rooftops of the campus:

scilitowersnc8.jpg

And finally, a black and white of University Hall:

quadbwsmto5.jpg

Enjoy!

- Garris

I took a similar photo from the West Side a couple months ago, but I never posted it:

2006-0601-washingtonstreet.jpg

It's taken from further down Washington, Dean Street crosses where the purple awnings are. I took it to illustrate the potential of th Near West Side, its proximity to Downcity, and the fact that if you didn't know better, you'd have no idea there was a highway running through here.

There's another interested vantage point of the skyline from Dean just north of the Public Safety Complex. Its basically looking across the highway down Fountain and kind of between the Regency buildings.

Garris, I tried several browsers, but I didn't receive any photos.

Odd, I'm not having any trouble with any of my browsers. Is anyone else not able to see the photos?

In case you're still having problems, I'm experimenting with the pbase online gallery system, and I put all of the photos above there (as well as the recent Manchester photos). Here is the site I'm experimenting with:

http://www.pbase.com/garrisphoto

- Garris

PS: If anyone wants to look at what I'm experimenting with on pbase and wishes to give me feedback, I'd appreciate it. It's potentially much easier to maintain than my built-from-scratch website, and offers me the ability to offer features (slideshows, voting, thumbnail management, multiple images sizes, feedback options, etc) that are harder to do with my current site.

Edited by Garris

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid question for everyone. I'm rearranging my photos on my website according to the part of town they are in, and I was wondering:

What part of downtown would everyone say the Biltmore, Union Station, Burnside Park, the Convention Center, and KP are in? In my opinion, they're not quite Downcity, not quite the CBD, and not quite Capitol Center... Right now, I'm leaning towards making a "Miscellanous Downtown" photo gallery and putting them there.

Ideas?

- Garris

^I've always thought of Memorial Blvd. as the boundary between Capital Center and Downcity, although I know the Westin, Union Station, and such are officially part of Capital Center.

To answer the question, all those locations are peripherally Downcity in my mind.

Thanks for the link to the tutorial, Cotuit. I may just have to try that. Talk about an "Urban Planet" :P

Great shots. When the projects are done, Capitol Center will have a skyline worthy of any good sized small city all by itself, without any of the rest of downtown!

Boy, that's G-Tech's worst angle, BTW. Once the newness wears off, I fear that perspective won't age well...

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Great shots. When the projects are done, Capitol Center will have a skyline worthy of any good sized small city all by itself, without any of the rest of downtown!

Boy, that's G-Tech's worst angle, BTW. Once the newness wears off, I fear that perspective won't age well...

- Garris

from that angle, gtech almost looks as if it's part of the mall... like they did this old style/new style weird thing.

gtech doesn't look as good from afar, but from the street level, i think it looks really good.

- Garris

If something at least as big as the Marriott gets built on the remaining Union Station Parcel, and something of even moderate height gets built at Parcel 12, you'll barely see GTECH anymore from this angle.

When were you there? I was walking around Prospect the other day as well. Thankfully, it looks like Waterplace will block the views of G-Tech :yahoo: . I was trying to figure out where E@B will be, and my guess is it'll maybe peek up over Citizen's from that perspective. Maybe not. Any future Hilton addition will probably be blocked by Westin II. 110 will be beautiful from that view however.

All the changes will be interesting to see!

- Garris

Edited by Garris