The South's Tallest Skyscrapers of 2004

bobliocatt

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Im proud of Miami.Im defenitely going to love it when the towers are finished.I know that by 2009(when Metropolitan Miami is projected to finish) Miami will have a different downtown.

skyline.jpg

I was looking at that list.I kept seeing Miami,that was funny.I was surprised how Miami is dominating the building boom.oh,and i defenitely agree with monsoon,Miami hasnt been recognized.Hopefully they will soon.

Can't wait to see the list for '05...

Someone asked about Tampa: we have a number of projects over 300', but none broke ground in '04. Three towers broke ground on Bayshore, but all are under 300' (23, 21, and 17 stories). Plaza Harbour Island also broke ground in '04, but it's sub 300; ditto for the Embassy Suites at the convention center.

Skypoint condominiums in downtown (right smack in the middle of my bloody view, too) broke ground just last month; it will be over 300' when complete, 32 floors. The Towers at Channelside (360') broke ground in January.

On the docket for this year are several proposed buildings. Trump Tower Tampa (the current darling of the downtown crowd) is to break ground this spring, topping out at 52 floors and 605 feet; the Four Seasons Tampa project, which is slightly taller at 630 feet and will/might be our second pointy building, is slated to break ground in the summer, but the developer's have been somewhat flaky. We also have the Hillsborough River Tower, a 675-foot building on the west bank of the river. It's been on the books for some time; financing, utilities, and permitting are all in place, but the developer (wisely) wants a tenant to fill 30% of the space before they'll begin construction. HRT was designed by Cesar Pelli and would be a very nice addition to the skyline so if you know anybody who'd like about 310,000 sf of office space, please call. Finally we have the manifestly bizarre O2 Condo Towers (the latest in a series of names), which the developer assures us will in fact include the rather gauche 690-ft observation tower. Yeehaw.

Wow, what's going on in Miami is simply amazing. I last visited Miami in 1997, and downtown seemed a rather depressing place. It's great to see so many great projects going up. I can't wait to get back to check out the progress.

Did Mobile's RSA Tower break ground in 2004?

I think the RSA Battle House project actually broke ground in 2003, and then tower construction began in early 2004. The height was initially listed as 800 ft., but I've seen several recent listings of 750 ft.

Construction site webcam:

http://www.rsa.state.al.us/MobileTower.html

Archived