Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board here so forgive me if I ask questions about anything you may have discussed to death already.

I was just curious if anyone actually lived downtown yet and what their personal impressions were of the area transforming itself into a pedestrian friendly place with after dark entertainment etc. Seems like there is a lot of talk going on but the action is slow. Lots of "proposals" but will they ever come to fruition?

Any insights/thoughts?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to UrbanPlanet! :)

I'm not sure if anyone here actually lives downtown. (Kinda ironic, isn't it?)

To answer your question: Yes! Downtown is getting better month by month. You're right in that the action is slow, but at least there's action, and not stagnation. I think the new Main Library is helping bring people (especially families I've noticed) downtown.

Hopefully 2006 will be even more productive for downtown development, with all these proposals hopefully coming into fruition.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I'd ask regarding high-rise cranes:

I have noticed that w/SMP, The Strand, Berkman Phase I, etc. type of buildings, they use those high-rise cranes that you now see being used on SMP & The Strand.

Though, they used the other type of high-rise crane when they were putting up Fidelity's 8-story office tower.

What's the main difference between the two besides their designs?

Furthermore, the cranes used to construct Fidelity's 8-story office tower is used a lot more on "TALLER" buildings especially in the Middle East (Dubai) & China (Shanghai). Is there an advantage to these types of cranes that those being used on SMP & The Strand?

The new issue of Jacksonville Magazine has an article on the St. John's building (going up next to Aetna) and Kuhn's River Watch Tower. It has a rendering of each, but neither is new. Not much new info. either. If you want a larger rendering on better stock than the T-U, you might want ot pick up a copy.

The cover story is on a Modernist home in Mandarin. There is also an article on Modernist architecture in general.

Buyer wanted for historic downtown church building

New use sought for local landmark that sits vacant

City officials intend to issue a request for proposals to sell the Snyder Memorial building, a 13,800-square foot former Methodist church that has sat vacant as the city and its previous owner struggled to find a proper use for the downtown structure....

....Bidders will be judged on purchase price, financial capability, development experience, and the economic impact and renovation schedule of the proposed project.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._20841589.shtml

Just thought I would ask you guys a few questions:

1) Has The Strand topped off already?

2) Any updates on the construction of Berkman Plaza Phase II?

3) Any updates on St. John's Town Center Phase II? (I have yet to even see any land clearing, etc.

4) How is The Peninsula coming along?

5) I do know that SMP has about 6 1/2 floors to go

6) Any update on the "hotel" for the San Marco Riverwalk project?

7) Did I miss any other projects?

^I'm afraid I can't answer any of your questions. I don't even live in Jax lol :silly:

But here's an interesting story of a cool new business opening up on Laura Street, near the Main Library:

Chamblin Bookmine coming downtown

4a.png

Chamblin Bookmine owner Ron Chamblin plans to expand his used book business to downtown.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=44436

The owner mentioned putting in a coffee bar area, with exposed brick and old photos of the 1904 building. I think this is great, and I hope all goes smoothly so he can open up by April.

Vlad, I live in Jax and can answer a few of your questions...

1) No the Strand has not topped off yet. It is almost there but still has a few floors to go.

2) we havent been told yet and the lot is still a dirt wasteland.

3)not sure

4)The foundation is poured and they are starting to go veritcal now.

5) Yes SMP is close to topping out but I think the Strand will top out first.

Well, since the Strand is only 28 floors, they only have one floor to go unless I keep miscounting, and yes, SMP has 6.5-7 floors to go, but I have noticed that they have started on some sort of structure in front of the garage and lower floors that could be retail fronting the street :D .

In regards to SJTC, you seem to know more than the rest of us... :lol:

Chamblin's Bookmine-I live near the one on Roosevelt and frequent it pretty regularly, they have EVERYTHING, except most brand new books of course! The one downtown should have a good selection considering they have soooo much storage space filled with books waiting to be put on shelves, I'm sure they would only put the best books in the limited amount of space. I go to the Main Library now more so I hope Chamblin's can compete if they have to, otherwise they might be able to feed off the extra book business from the new library.

There is a store in the Furchgott's building, but I have heard from other forumers that that is a joke!

Council May Have Violated Sunshine

Read this: It's ridiculous, our city needs to update the Sunshine Laws to contend with today's technology. They were created to prevent city leaders from cutting deals behind closed doors before actually meeting together, and now, because we have internet, phones, fax, cells, pagers, etc. it prevents many city leaders from even just talking regularly amongst each other. Everything they say regarding anything having to do with politics or projects has to be 100% public, meaning columnists and writers for the Times Union can stand over the shoulder of city councilmen and read their emails and listen to their phone conversations. Just update the damn law so the city can get things done and stress free!! :blink:

Bill for Marble Bank neglect: $2 million

2a.png

The Police and Fire Pension Fund will build this garage on the old Center Theatre site.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=44449

Here's an interesting bit:

To complement that development, the Fund now plans to build a parking garage of at least 300 spaces on the site of the old Center Theatre. The West Adams Street parcel is across the street from The Carling.

The Fund might double the garage

Post information here concerning projects, articles, and events concerning downtown.

Good news the DRC gave final approval for the St John's 51 stories,The Vu 40 stories,and the San Marco Village received approval,but it wasnt the final one though. As you know one of the towers increased from 40 to 48 stories. SouthBank is going to be stacked I cant wait to see it happen

Just thought I would ask you guys a few questions:

1) Has The Strand topped off already?

2) Any updates on the construction of Berkman Plaza Phase II?

3) Any updates on St. John's Town Center Phase II? (I have yet to even see any land clearing, etc.

4) How is The Peninsula coming along?

5) I do know that SMP has about 6 1/2 floors to go

6) Any update on the "hotel" for the San Marco Riverwalk project?

7) Did I miss any other projects?

• 2 weeks later...

Though I like all these high-rises being constructed on the Northbank & Southbank, I think we definitely need more towers to fill in the void along Riverside Avenue or near the 511 or CSX Tower. The view is definitely amazing coming from I-95 South heading north passing the Southbank construction zone until you pass the Baptist Complex and then all of a sudden, small ASS buildings lining up the Riverside Avenue - I am sorry to say it, but Fidelity, BCBS and all are actually small looking way too spaced out especially the Fidelity complex!!! It is really nice to keep the momentum going along Riverside Avenue because it would be a smooth flow from the NB all the way down!!!

Archived