1. 1. Best big skyline?

• Atlanta
    • Washington
    • Miami
    • Houston
    • Uptown Houston
    • Dallas
    • Other (please specify)

By the way, I dont think those Jacksonville Emporis skyscraper figures include the beach communities within Duval County (and adjacent to Jax). Including these would add 15-20 skyscrapers to our totals. As for Nashville, it is a nice town. I just dont remember seeing all those highrises last time I was there. Good luck Nashville though! :)

A number of the Emporis listed scrapers in Nashville are scattered throughout the city. The new ones and all that, are mainly in the West End and CBD districts respectively.

Here is a pic that I shot just the other day that shows the view from the Baptist Hospital parking garage in West End. Potential is there. There are two tower cranes visible in this pic inside the core. One is for the Viridian Residential towre and the other is for the Suntrust ofice tower.

1panosmaller.jpg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A number of the Emporis listed scrapers in Nashville are scattered throughout the city. The new ones and all that, are mainly in the West End and CBD districts respectively.

Here is a pic that I shot just the other day that shows the view from the Baptist Hospital parking garage in West End. Potential is there. There are two tower cranes visible in this pic inside the core. One is for the Viridian Residential towre and the other is for the Suntrust ofice tower.

1panosmaller.jpg

I wish that panorama had come on around a little bit further to the right to show the mid-town area. There a dozens of building listed on Emporis in that area. Despite that, great panorama shot, Lexy. Did your wife help you on that one too!

• 3 weeks later...

^^ Yes, she put it together. Matter of fact Hank, the shot DOES go all the way around to the right. Unfortunatly, the lighting is too hard to equal with the rest of the picture. The sun was at our backs and as you pan to the right, it becomes very, very bright. No amount of photo editing would have fixed the color balance in that, so the right side was scrapped from the shot above.

I do have this one that shows what you would have seen though.

Picture1764.jpg

im very biased about this but i think it is more between Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami

and Houston takes it, downtown

2d2882d7.jpg

and uptown.....

230707963EYnVHN_ph.jpg

and thats leaving out the Texas Medical district, Greenspoint, and the Woodlands

on emporis.com

Houston is ranked at #19 worldwide

#1 Hong Kong

#2 New York

#4 Chicago

#25 Los Angeles

#27 London

#31 Dallas

#32 Atlanta

#43 Miami

#80 Miami Beach

Miami has 199 buildings that are 12 stories or more, Miami Beach has 135 = 334

Houston has 330 buildings that are 12 stories or more so Miami narrowly beats Houston for number of high rises.

Dallas has 237

Atlanta has 195

In my opinion, Atlanta vs Dallas is a matter of preference as far as layout is concerned since they are so close in terms of ranking, but although Miami seems to beat Houston narrowly, I think Houston is cooler.

Well, I read somewhere that d'town Houston is the world's 7th largest, and when you factor in all of Houston's skylines, and pretend it is all one, you have the world's 3rd largest skyline.

What is so unique about Houston is multiple skylines. Downtown, Uptown, Energy Corrdior, Woodlands, Sugarland City Centre, Galveston Strand, Greenway Plaza, Texas Medical District, Museum District, Port District, Greenspoint, and Northline.

edit: I apologize for not showing my source like I always do, I just forget. <_<

Atlanta is nice but it is no Houston. This thread is so Atlanta bias it is a shame. Atlanta bloggers act like new money that have to show off everything

Atlanta is nice but it is no Houston. This thread is so Atlanta bias it is a shame. Atlanta bloggers act like new money that have to show off everything

Ha Ha funny! Houston bloggers are so defensive they have to prove everything with picture after picture only to find out in the end all three are so close to the same it really doesn't matter. :lol:

Ha Ha funny! Houston bloggers are so defensive they have to prove everything with picture after picture only to find out in the end all three are so close to the same it really doesn't matter. :lol:

not being defensive but what is the point of the poll and the voting if they are all the same?

not being defensive but what is the point of the poll and the voting if they are all the same?

THe polls can be fun for just voting but sometimes they get personal. I wouldnt say the cities are exactly the same but I would venture you could take a person who has never been to either of the cities and drive them through each city (barring signs and other city signatures) and they couldn't tell you based on pre-conceived notions which is which.

Yes Houston has an edge and rightfully so. It has been bigger longer and frankly looks much bigger than even L.A. For that matter, Atlanta and Dallas also look bigger.

THe polls can be fun for just voting but sometimes they get personal. I wouldnt say the cities are exactly the same but I would venture you could take a person who has never been to either of the cities and drive them through each city (barring signs and other city signatures) and they couldn't tell you based on pre-conceived notions which is which.

Yes Houston has an edge and rightfully so. It has been bigger longer and frankly looks much bigger than even L.A. For that matter, Atlanta and Dallas also look bigger.

Lots of cities look bigger than LA. As far as size and quantity of highrises goes, Houston definitely wins. It's the biggest city in the south, and it shows. Personally, I do not like the configuration of its skyline though. If Uptown were symetrically distributed around the city, it would be fine, but as it is it's just ugly and distracting.

I'm sure given enough time the two will grow together, and form something akin to Midtown and Downtown Manhattan. Until then though, Miami.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard many Houstonians complain about Tom Delay and he is the biggest reason why the city didnt have rail before.

I have heard that as well, but if im not mistaken DeLay's district is actually southeast of Houston. His area consists of Clear Lake (Houston), Friendswood, Pearland, etc. I know because its my district. My point is that he does not represent any of the downtown areas so he might have kept light rail from the suburbs (20+ miles from downtown) but i suspect it was our former mayor.

Wow! It looks almost identical to Atlanta when coming in on I-20 from Alabama with two very distinct skylines. Atlanta has a large number of skyscrapers on the 285 loop.

As stated, the average height of Houston's top ten buildings is around 800' while Atlanta's is close at 750' with Atlanta having a miniscule edge with our tallest building being 1,028 while Houstons is over 1,000 but a few feet shorter. They are so much alike it is almost weird.

I guess, overall, we'll have to agree to disagree.

are you counting the elaborate top of the Bof A tower in Atlanta? because it is 55 floors compared with 75 floors of the chase tower in Houston. I think the top gives it the edge in height

Where is charlotte :angry:

charlotte_skyline.jpg

Charlotte's skyline isn't in the class with the cities listed. Take away BOA and it is no better than Jacksonville, Nashville, Tampa, etc.

However, I do believe Charlotte, Nashville, Tampa, Jax, would be a medium skyline with Charlotte having the edge for now. So the question in the poll doesn't reflect the choices given IMO. Just my opinion though.

That photo really does show off the feel of your skyline. Driving I-85 north through town also gives a good night view. The kids like driving through there. Nice job. :)

Sorry Tre 4, but I gotta agree with Krazeeboi. Charlotte really isn't in the same league as those cities. Charlotte has a nice skyline, but it's not very dense to me. From the ground level, it's a little spaced. DC reminds me of a euorpean city with all the density. It also has mulitple skylines like: Arlington,Reston,Tyson's Corner,etc... Atlanta and Houston skylines are huge. They have mulitple skylines, which start downtown and progress into the burbs.(Buckhead,GA 400 Corridor,Midtown Houston, Kate Freeway,etc). But it all depends on the person I guess.

Sorry Tre 4, but I gotta agree with Krazeeboi. Charlotte really isn't in the same league as those cities. Charlotte has a nice skyline, but it's not very dense to me. From the ground level, it's a little spaced. DC reminds me of a euorpean city with all the density. It also has mulitple skylines like: Arlington,Reston,Tyson's Corner,etc... Atlanta and Houston skylines are huge. They have mulitple skylines, which start downtown and progress into the burbs.(Buckhead,GA 400 Corridor,Midtown Houston, Kate Freeway,etc). But it all depends on the person I guess.

Strange thing, this past summer my fiance's sister from Houston, visited Atlanta for the first time. She was in awe. She was intimidated of the city, the traffic, the speed of "life" in Atlanta, the subway. I asked how could she be intimidated in Atlanta, a city that's smaller than Houston. She shot back that Atlanta is MUCH bigger than Houston. Saying that it has more big buildings, bigger freeways and the pace of life is faster. This from a life long Houston resident.

Only until I showed her some census stats about the two cities, did she back down on the Atlanta is bigger than Houston rant.

On the skylines, Houston is impressive, Atlanta is impressive. They're both spread out and have multiple skylines. I think saying that Houston is comparable to NY's skyline is a stretch. Atlanta has a more interesting skyline with the design variety. It would be nice to see how all of the Atlanta bldgs would look in a centralized location as well as Houston's.

It's close, but I think I like Atlanta the best (note, Tre4, the correct use of "I"), however, Houston and Miami are a close second and third, with Houston, IMO, having a little more height, but less variety, and Miami having nice buildings and a great location next to the water.

And just out of curiosity, what does the word "want" mean to you, Tre4? I was just wondering.

Archived