230 South Tryon

BryanH

Has anyone been inside of this building? I took a tour of several units recently and was underwhelmed. The amenities are definitely impressive - the lobby is nice, as is the club room and fitness area. But I thought the fit and finish of the units was disappointing considering the prices being asked. I expected granite countertops in the kitchen and bath, at the bare minimum, but cheaper materials were used.

Perhaps this was a case of adverse selection though, as the units I saw were some of the only ones still available in the building. Another thing that alarmed me was that the broker told me nearly half of the units were bought by investors!! That seems awfully high and almost an unbelieveable number.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think so as well. With all the activity and building going on around it, these small pocket spaces have a lot of potential for success with the right business in them. I'm really hoping for a sundries and/or wine store somewhere in the area -- would love it in this space or at least somewhere nearby. On a personal note I am delighted to have a sushi place in the building!

Has anyone been inside of this building? I took a tour of several units recently and was underwhelmed. The amenities are definitely impressive - the lobby is nice, as is the club room and fitness area. But I thought the fit and finish of the units was disappointing considering the prices being asked. I expected granite countertops in the kitchen and bath, at the bare minimum, but cheaper materials were used.

Perhaps this was a case of adverse selection though, as the units I saw were some of the only ones still available in the building. Another thing that alarmed me was that the broker told me nearly half of the units were bought by investors!! That seems awfully high and almost an unbelieveable number.

^ I agree. As long as you're there long term, who cares about investers, bubbles, and rising rates. You've got yourself an uptown condo and it sounds like you're in the process of really upgrading it's finishes.

I'm curious about the pool. I remember when they decided the pool couldn't go on top of the parking deck and would have to go behind Ruth's Chris that many buyers were upset they weren't getting the pool that was marketed. There was a couple that I knew that was thinking about backing out of there contract. A few months later I ran into them and asked what their status was with 230. They told me the developer met with the buyers and smoothed things over and they were going to go through with the new contract and different pool.

How exactly did they smooth things over?

^ I agree. As long as you're there long term, who cares about investers, bubbles, and rising rates. You've got yourself an uptown condo and it sounds like you're in the process of really upgrading it's finishes.

I'm curious about the pool. I remember when they decided the pool couldn't go on top of the parking deck and would have to go behind Ruth's Chris that many buyers were upset they weren't getting the pool that was marketed. There was a couple that I knew that was thinking about backing out of there contract. A few months later I ran into them and asked what their status was with 230. They told me the developer met with the buyers and smoothed things over and they were going to go through with the new contract and different pool.

How exactly did they smooth things over?

• 5 weeks later...

For some reason, while I was walking Uptown tonight, I just realized that the Ruth's Chris restaurant represents a highly inefficient use of land. I don't know why it just hit me tonight as many times as I've rode past it, but it looks so out of place. It could have EASILY gone into the ground floor of a tower or something.

I think most of us agreed with you the moments we hit that realization, too. :) That land, however, has struggled because there is no parking, so Spectrum just rolled it into the 230 S Tryon project, with the condo amenities in the back and the Ruth's Chris in the front.

I think that keeping that land lowrise was important to making 230 work, because otherwise all of those north facing condos would not have any light or anywhere to look.

Personally, I don't mind that there is a low rise project on one parcel in between two towers. There are similar situations in many other parts of Tryon, and it is usually a use that helps build up street activity.

Given the reasons to have it be low rise, I'm glad it is a very popular restaurant going there. It could have just as easily have just been the condo amenities, and a nominal retail unit on the street.

However, I wish they had varied the facade architecture from the ground of 230. It is a decent design, but to be on both buildings is just boring. If they had made it a unique design, it could have contributed more to the streetscape of Tryon. Secondly, I wish they had planned just a single level of offices above Ruth's Chris. It would still have been lowrise, but would have been a little bit less like a suburban design, and would have prevented it from being just a single use building.

^Thanks for shedding some light, and I agree with all of your subsequent points. Once I discovered that the vanilla shell of 230 S Tryon was the finished product, I was severely disappointed. To have the Ruth's Chris facade match it is a bit too much. I would have also liked to have seen the restaurant go in the ground floor of something maybe 3-4 stories, if that would be feasible. I would have also liked to have seen the signage be less typical suburban neon and more urban chic.

I also don't think it's just the fact that there's a restaurant between two highrises there, but that it has much less connectivity with the surrounding buildings than just about any other lowrise in a similar situation on Tryon (that I'm aware of). The openness between the restaurant and 230 S Tryon I can somewhat understand, but not the alleyway on the otherside; it makes it look like the restaurant was just plucked somewhere out of SouthPark or University and dropped on a random parcel Uptown.

For some reason, all of that came together in my brain last night and it really irked the hell out of me, LOL.

Archived