COMPLETE: GTECH Center

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I was at WaterFire tonight, and any fears I had about GTECHs impact on WaterFire are gone. The building in it's current state is already reflecting the flames off of it. It is going to look awesome when the glass is on it and the fire is reflecting off it.

In other WaterFire news... Closing the Hurricane Barrier to keep the water in was a disaster when the river went too high and all the drains in tunnel and around the basin backed up and flooded everything. There were pools of water all over the place. The Hurricane Barrier was quickly lowered though, and the water level receded. The river was within a half inch of overflowing it's banks before they re-opened the Hurricane Barrier.

In other WaterFire news... Closing the Hurricane Barrier to keep the water in was a disaster when the river went too high and all the drains in tunnel and around the basin backed up and flooded everything. There were pools of water all over the place. The Hurricane Barrier was quickly lowered though, and the water level receded. The river was within a half inch of overflowing it's banks before they re-opened the Hurricane Barrier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watefire Providence applied for Transportation Enhancement funding to install a tidegate to deal with the problem of the water levels in the river. It's still awaiting approval though.

That sounds like an expensive project for WaterFire, and as such, sounds like WaterFire is not planning on going anywhere for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could help more than Waterfire. You know, David Brussat, in one of his more evocative pieces, argued for better water level controls of the rivers. If Sasaki wants to turn Providence into a "waterfront" city, it helps if the river levels aren't like 20 feet below street level during the hours most people would want to be there.

- Garris

That sounds like an expensive project for WaterFire, and as such, sounds like WaterFire is not planning on going anywhere for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothings too expensive when 80% of it is funded by the federal government (and probably 20% by the state). They would still have to come up with the money up front though...

Good shots (where is the second one from?). I was looking out at the skyline from RIH, and even pre-tower, the very top of the G-Tech building sneaks above the skyline from that perspective, but not prominently.

- Garris

They are both from right next to Casserta's on Spruce Street. This view will be pretty neat when Westin 2 is done, as that tower will sit between Westin 1 and the Hospital Trust Tower from this angle, and should look slightly taller, even with it being behind Westin 1 in perspective.

You can also see the tower poking up above The Dunk and the Convention Center from the Atwells Bridge. I think it will have a nice effect from the highway at night when lit.

I finally noticed how prominent GTECH is from Angell/Thomas Street. I tend not too look up when walking down Thomas, too busy looking down making sure my feet land properly. I don't think anything is ever going to get in the way of that view except perhaps something someday at Parcel 12.

They are both from right next to Casserta's on Spruce Street. This view will be pretty neat when Westin 2 is done, as that tower will sit between Westin 1 and the Hospital Trust Tower from this angle, and should look slightly taller, even with it being behind Westin 1 in perspective.

You can also see the tower poking up above The Dunk and the Convention Center from the Atwells Bridge. I think it will have a nice effect from the highway at night when lit.

I finally noticed how prominent GTECH is from Angell/Thomas Street. I tend not too look up when walking down Thomas, too busy looking down making sure my feet land properly. I don't think anything is ever going to get in the way of that view except perhaps something someday at Parcel 12.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right the view is gonna be pretty cool. I think that every day when i drive by the mall going south on 95, right when you pass by the civic center. I think "damn" isnt that gonna be cool. (when the westin II, and power block finish)

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't have a camera but I wish I did when I walked by Gtech this morning. There is now glass up above the main entrance. Its pretty opaque and will have a great reflection. I'm so glad the parking garage part will be hidden and will match the office portion of the building. I'll try and get back with my camera this afternoon.

As to whether an acquisition would affect the new building, Vincent, the spokesman for GTECH said, "the management of the company is committed to the headquarters and the growth plan that's been laid out. I can't speculate on what the future would hold other than where we are today."

Meaning....?

Well I don't see how they could stop construction now. Hopefully the state was smart enough to negotiate something into the contract to force them to finish it (though, we are talking about the Rhode Island General Assembly here). They do have a finish date they have to meet. The worry would be that they would finish the building, then it would sit empty. :(

My worry is that this suitor is Harrahs, please no.

Archived