Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

This is the kind of thing that gets my goat. There was never any doubt that the land was going to be sold and to whom, the only question was who would get the money. So while the Supremes were making up their minds, why couldn't the city start the process of changing the zoning, the Mental health folks could be busy moving off of the campus, the B& C Board could have allowed the buyers access and to start demolition where it made sense to do so. Why wait? Waiting only increases the ultimate cost, and isn't affordable housing suppose to be a priority?

I was wondering why no one had commented on this thread today until I remembered it had been embedded. I think we shouldn't embed threads for this reason. Can someone move this back out so that it appears on the main Columbia page? Another reason: newcomers won't know it's buried here.

Anyhow, just SO relieved this is moving again, and that the outcome is the right one!

The pinned area is cluttered enough. I was just thinking about ways to have less of them. Charlotte is the most active forum on UP, and they have only a few pinned threads. But they have this one. Its a large thread that acts as a list of developments in Charlotte. This is sort of what we have here in the Columbia thread, but its not devoped to that exent. I am open to suggestions on how to improve the situation, but it can't involve pinning everything.

^That's a good question. I was just assuming that none of that could go through until the property was actually sold.

As long as the current owner (B&C Board) approved it, I know of no reason those things couldn't proceed. Receiving a Zoning changes is often a condition to a contract of sale going through. If the zoning change isn't approved, the contract of sale is null and void. The current owner (B &C Board) could request the change, or the proposed owners could do the same by acting as agent for the existing owners.

^Interesting. Thanks for the info. Looks like the city missed a good opportunity to get this development off the ground a bit sooner. Pity.

The poor management is unfortunate, but I'm honestly glad that some time has passed since the project was announced and planned. The dust has settled on a number of other major projects and the normalizing market has shown which projects are legit which ones are not. We have a much clearer picture now of what Columbia 3.0 (like it? :)) will look like. This will give Bull Street a competitive advantage if the developers play their cards right.

• 2 months later...

Slowly, but surely... another step closer...

According to The State, the S.C. Mental Health Commission agreed Tuesday to ask the Columbia Planning Commission to OK the Bull Street Neighborhood project. It's good to see them getting around to that! ;)

Apparently they're asking the city for a preliminary approval, so their lawyers can begin to research the "smart codes" and other issues regarding the site's redevelopment.

They've also begun an environmental impact study, are starting the appraisal process, and are looking to hire a marketing firm.

This site is so awesome. We drove through there the other day just to check it out again. It's beautiful ... and actually kinda creepy in a ghost town sort of way right now. :) Also, I doubt I'm the only one that finds it a little ironic that Columbia's coolest new developments (Bull Street and CanalSide) are being built on previously foresaken ground -- the "aslyum" and the prison.

Edited by emerging.me

Also, I doubt I'm the only one that finds it a little ironic that Columbia's coolest new developments (Bull Street and CanalSide) are being built on previously foresaken ground -- the "aslyum" and the prison.

No joke! I'm really curious how the CCI/Canalside sales will go, and if they disclose that fact t the buyers. You couldn't give me a house built on that land. The Bull Street property wouldn't bother me.

No joke! I'm really curious how the CCI/Canalside sales will go, and if they disclose that fact t the buyers. You couldn't give me a house built on that land. The Bull Street property wouldn't bother me.

Oh yeah, I've thought about the fact that someone's house will be built RIGHT on top of where the state's electric chair used to sit.

I also took a drive through the Bull Street site, and agree that it's beautiful with all of the old brick buildings and HUGE oak trees. And I got the same impression...some parts are VERY creepy with a ghost town feel. Of course that will go away when the development starts.

Good to see more progress with this development.

Yeah, the campus is a bit creepy, but the large oaks trees also give it a certain charm.

If I were a prospective buyer, I wouldn't have a problem with CanalSide knowing that it's being built on the site of the former state prison.

I'm not superstitious so neither site would bother me. I already live in-town, right on the edge of downtown, but I'm ready to move all the way downtown. I originally wanted to buy in the Canalside development, but I was ready to buy 6 years ago. Can you imagine if I was still waiting? I sure would have had alot of options and I would have saved a boatload of money in my old $425 a month apartment!

I don't know where I would have chosen...Canalside? Adesso? The new condos about to sprout in 5 Points? A condo next to the stadium? Vsion? The old fire station condos?

I think I'd like to be in the middle of the action...5 Points condos first, the old fire station condos second and Canalside third. When we see the plans for the Kline site, it could move to the top of the list as I'd like to be somewhere I could walk to restaurants and clubs without having to drive. People want to live in the suburbs, why?

Edited by waccamatt

People want to live in the suburbs, why?

Yep, kids are one reason.

When I was younger, in my twenties or so, I wanted to live in a refurbished warehouse, or an intown style condo. I lived in apartments for about 7-8 years and loved it.

As I got older (thirties), I wanted more space. I guess I got tired of the hustle-bustle and having people (sometimes loud, partying people) around all the time. Moved to a suburb just across the river that was convenient to everything. I love it.

Now I'm way older (forties) and we're considering moving to a rural area. We're just want to have more of a buffer between us and other people. plus, out in rural areas, there is much less government intrusion. Land and housing is also much cheaper. With the internet, shopping is no longer the problem it once was (I grew up in the country and shopping was a PITA).

Anyway, at this stage in my life, I would never spend 400K for a condo in town. Seems insane to me, but I understan why it is attractive to some. Just doesn't work for me anymore.

You asked...

^I'd say you are that exception, Captain. You moved to a place that while "suburban" in style, still has prime access to the city.

Kids are definitely a primary reason. Its all about where the schools are. Every parent wants good schools for their kids, so they will move to a school district for that reason. Typically thats in the suburbs, though you always have a few good schools in town (eg: Dreher HS). People also think that subdivisions are safer (not necesarily true).

I wonder how the school voucher program would effect the residential market? If you had the ability to live where you wanted and still send your kid to the good school, perhaps living in town living might be more appealing?

• 3 months later...

A new psychiatric hospital planned for Faison Drive, near Farrow Road.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but it seems as though patients should have started being moved way back when they had charrettes about the property. They knew it would eventually get sold, but hey, state agencies aren't always known for speed and efficiency.

• 8 months later...

This thread has gotten buried on page two and it could be the second biggest project (after Innovista) occurring in Columbia in the next few years. I was attending a Chamber of Commerce luncheon today and the speaker was the director of the SC Department of Mental Health. He mentioned the Bull Street project and said things should be happening fairly soon with the sale of this property, but that the biggest hurdle is selling the land to the developer that is going to invest up to a billion dollars in the project. Needless to say, there are limited developers out there that can take on a project of that magnitude. All I can say is NO Burroughs and Chapin.